Nerves
Nerves

by lukempls USER (1 Reviews)
February 6th, 2013 | 14 replies

Release Date: 01/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fever dream you don't want to shake.

Heavy music has always found itself painted into a corner. Critically, new releases are written off as either derivative or juvenile. The bands themselves also seem intent to let you know what they sound like through album art alone. While genre bending occurs often, it never amounts to much more than a guitar solo in a hardcore song. Artists are forced to claim a primary allegiance to one genre in order to find an audience.

With its first release, Minneapolis four-piece Nerves have not created an entirely new genre, so settle down nerds. What they have done may be an even more impressive feat. They have scoured the corners of extreme music and reconvened with quite a range of disparate influences. Their self-titled album features the angular, atonal guitar solos and opaque, darkly poetic lyrics of Meshuggah, the raw energy, emotion and volume of Converge, and both the big riffs and psychedelic atmosphere of Mastodon. I could continue filling that run-on sentence with references until I hit 500 words, but I’ll stick to the rule of threes. Any fan of heavy music will enjoy picking out the nods to different genres and bands throughout the run time, although “enjoy” is a funny word to use as the overall tone of the album sounds something like a fever dream.

It’s not the sheer number of influences found in the relatively short 25 minutes that impresses, but how cohesive they sound when combined. Even with, and perhaps because of, the fingerprints of other artists all over their sound Nerves have found their own voice, an impressive achievement for such a young band on their first release. Whether they are punishingly loud and crushing (“Appears Shrouded Through Mire-Dim Light” ends with all hell breaking loose and the band demanding you “give up”), or plucking out a trance-like jam (the last minute of “Spilling Fingernails and Bloodsap”) Nerves shines.

Overall this is a very promising first release from a very young band. They’ve found a voice for themselves and executed it well over the seven tracks on the album. The short runtime works to their advantage, as the record plays more like one long song than a collection of tracks. Hopefully, with their wealth of influence and talent, Nerves can find a broad audience and metalheads, hardcore kids, crust punks, and their mothers can bang their heads as one.

February 5th 2013

This is my first review, and I know it's not perfect so give me some feedback please.

also listen on bandcamp: http://nerves.bandcamp.com/

Firestarter

Great review man. Checking these guys out now. Like what I'm hearing atm

ethixx
February 6th 2013

i'll bite, ctts and psychedelic influences sound interesting
good review

amazing album art

February 6th 2013

potato, I'll admit that there is a hint of bait in there, but listen to it and tell me you dont hear pieces of each.

Cygnatti
February 6th 2013

Heard a song and was pree good.

February 6th 2013

anyone who has heard this, how far off base am I with the recs/disparate influence angle here? Am I crazy? What would you compare this to?

February 6th 2013

but srsly, listen to this.

calgarydude12
February 12th 2013

You beat me to the review, you bastard.

do you agree with it?

calgarydude12
February 12th 2013

Absolutely. i listened to this about 3 times today and was thinking about what I would say and I definitely agree with how you can hear their influences. In a good way

FinalWord
February 20th 2013

bought this. Nice cd

StreetlightRock
January 4th 2014

Holy shit this is awesome

Digging: The Flaming Lips - With A Little Help From My Fwends