Krewella
Play Hard

good

by Will Robinson STAFF
February 5th, 2013 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Representative of the American dance scene - take that as you will.

Krewella probably shouldn’t have made it this far. The trio is made up of two apparently horny and slutty girls (Jahan and Yasmine) who enjoy proclaiming their sexual aggression with lines like “I can't control myself, you got me feeling for your lust / One touch, will make me in love,” and the so-called “beatmaker,” who calls himself Rain Man and almost always appears in pictures with a bottle of booze. Basically, the group is three horny, drunk college dropouts who happen to know how to use Auto-Tune and have some knowledge of music production software. What’s more, all of their stuff fulfills countless EDM clichés. They’re not all that different from the next guy spending all his time partying and tapping away in front of his Macbook, and it’s difficult to understand exactly why they made it as far as they did. And yet Krewella has become one of the biggest acts in the American dance scene over the course of less than a year. People enjoy “anthems” like the dubsteppy “Killin’ It” and the pop-house tune “Alive,” as is apparent from the airplay those two songs receive on standard electronic radio. Somehow, the group has managed to overcome all factors going against them, and they’re headlining major electronic festivals and playing to cheering crowds all over the world.

And why shouldn’t they? After all, their Play Hard EP is fun. Though it’s not inventive in any way, shape, or form, when it comes to the EDM market in America all that doesn’t matter. While this might sound like a long-winded preamble to a review that relentlessly tears into the trio’s music, I really have nothing against Krewella. I realize they’re not going to revolutionize the modern electronic scene with extremely well-crafted and insightful music, but I can’t deny that Play Hard is all I can really ask for from a group like Krewella. The EP is six songs combining the current female vocal craze with the world’s infatuation with all things dubstep and house, and to be honest it does it quite well. “Killin’ It” and “Alive,” the two aforementioned songs, are basically representative of the “EDM scene” in America, and they’re pretty good choices to represent the environment. Though “Alive” is a bit boring and “Killin’ It” isn’t all that interesting after a few listens, they’re fun, they’re loud, and they’re poppy - and what more could anyone want from Krewella?

Of course, the EP as a whole isn’t really all that great aside from those two songs and “Can’t Control Myself,” an excellent electro house (moombah, if you will) banger. “One Minute” and “Feel Me” are uninteresting brostep songs that aren’t special except for Jahan and Yasmine’s unconventional vocals, and “Play Hard” is mild-mannered electro house. But, to be honest, the worse half doesn’t detract much from the EP overall. The best on this EP is decent, and the worst on the EP isn’t much worse than that. Much like the American dance scene, it’s formulaic, boring at times, and cliché for the most part. However, that all doesn’t really matter - it never intended to be anything else. Because, after all, it’s also loud, aggressive (in more ways than one) and fun. If Play Hard is a representation of mainstream electronic music in America, it paints the music in a surprisingly positive light.

Nicki Minaj The PinkprintRL Grime Void

Get Wet
recommended by reviewer
Dodge and Fuski The Sick

February 5th 2013

Stream here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ep-premiere-krewella-play-hard-20120615

Decent, but not for everyone. Apologize for a pretty bad review but I didn't really know what to say.
Dev if you happen to be reading this treat Play Hard like exposed uranium

Also, criticism welcomed

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

slipnslide

killin it is 2.5 defined
t hx

Omaha
February 5th 2013

"I'm sure just like most dance albums it's full of repetitve noises, phrases, ideas right?"

I hope you're being sarcastic, man

Digging: Thou - Heathen

February 5th 2013

Although it's kinda true...in that it's kind of boring at least

I hope you're being sarcastic, man

Yeah,

pizzamachine
February 5th 2013

I like bleeps and bloops but meeeehhhhhh. pos'd

Acanthus
February 5th 2013

I've got a few of their EP's, they're ok in certain settings.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

Omaha
February 5th 2013

Dude. This is a stellar review. if you don't get the contributor title, I'll attack my roommate.

It's so obvious you're in your comfort zone here.

February 5th 2013

He's only got to wait a few more days to find out I guess : ]

Also, at a quick glance, i read : I'll rack my roommate. instead of " I'll attack my roommate."

Thanks Jacob! :]

February 5th 2013

I can't see why you wouldn't get it Will.

klap
February 6th 2013

you probably shouldn't use pejorative terms like slutty in your review, otherwise ace. i have raged to a few of these

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

February 6th 2013

Yeah I know how the community is divided on terms like that, and to be quite honest I side with the robertsonas and atavanhalens on this one - I'm pretty feminist even though I am a guy. However, after watching stuff from Krewella (tour videos, fb posts), "slutty and horny" is the best word I can use to describe them. I have no idea if they actually are, but that's the face they put out. May change that up slightly.

BrushedRed
March 24th 2013

Very catchy. I really enjoyed it. Been fun to listen to at the beach for spring break

March 26th 2013

It's a good album for that kind of listen. I've actually heard "Alive" on pop radio recently, it's kind of weird to hear Krewella there.

BrushedRed
April 4th 2013

Ahh yeah. I've heard "Alive" on the radio too. Must be getting popularish, but it's strange because everything else on the album is quite different than "Alive"

theacademy
April 5th 2013

this is 5

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

AlexanDerp
May 25th 2013

This is actually pretty catchy

May 26th 2013

It's not as bad as some people give it credit for, that's for sure.