The Roughneck Riot
This Is Our Day

by BlackLlama USER (45 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 0 replies

Review Summary: Celtic punk that will keep your feet tapping and your friends in the car shouting along.

Imagine if you will that Rancid and Dropkick Murphy’s had a bastard child, that is really the best way that I can describe The Roughneck Riot (TRR). A British (Warrington) punk band specializing in Celtic/Folk influenced punk manage to capture some essence from both bands in a cohesive blend. The fact that they do this without sounding like a generic rip-off of either is remarkable. I am not the most avid fan of either band (I do enjoy them each occasionally) but there is enough originality (and more than enough talent) to recommend seeking out a copy of this release.

The instrumentation of the band, and recording quality set this above other genre releases. As a listener expect heavy doses of mandolin fueled 3 chord punk. What TRR manage to do is incorporate a ton of personality into the songs they put out. I was remarkably impressed by the drummer, who incorporates some almost metal/thrash elements into the bands style. The vocals are pure, well Rancid. When I first stumbled across the band on YouTube (thank you random link searching) I was left wondering if Tim Armstong had a new side project going. Everything just meshes well on this record, whether it’s double bass kicks backing the accordion, or a shout along chorus backed by heavy distortion and a mandolin its a really fun listen. Keeping this short and sweet, do yourself a favor and check this one out.