Flaw
Through the Eyes

by KJ USER (32 Reviews)
February 4th, 2013 | 21 replies | 991 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Hope you’re alright, it’s been rough for me”

In the years of my yesteryouth I too rocked nu-metal, but as maturity came, my understanding and appreciation of music evolved with it. The uninspired riffs, shallow lyrical content and generally talentless cesspool that was nu-metal was just too much to bear; in light of this, a few nu-metal albums easily outshined their counterparts and are still worth listening to today; one such album is Flaw’s 2001 major label debut Through the Eyes, which pits dark, ominous rhythms of the heavy variety alongside remarkably passionate vocals that showcase a surprising level of maturity.

While most nu-metalers were preoccupied with writing tiresome pump-up jams that were a dime-a-dozen, Flaw vocalist Chris Volz opted to write about his unique life experiences that included growing up in foster care and the additional struggles that came with it. Specifically, this adopter in which he adored so much committed suicide when Volz was only 12-years-old. Volz then turned to music as an emotional outlet, and the music reflects it; the vocal efforts are a combination of stable, melodic cleans and mid-range growls that could symbolically represent the rollercoaster that was his childhood. One of the beautiful things about music is that sincerity just can’t be faked; in the opening track, Volz sentimentally sings:

Maybe things happen for a reason
And wherein lies the answer
To overcome the grieving of life’s unruly lessons
I’m handed in succession
It builds my pain which makes me strong…

Guitarist Jason Daunt notes a slew of virtuosos as his main influences, but ironically those influences don’t play themselves out at all on this record. The guitars are detuned, ultra heavy, doomy, and consist almost entirely of chords. They are also very bottom-heavy and contribute well to the thematic concepts of the album. That said, I would’ve liked to see Daunt sporadically include a more technical side at moments where it would’ve fit.

The best song on the album hands down is “My Letter”, a ballad (per se) non-the-less. The track follows the typical clean verse, distorted chorus structure but uses rolls on the snare during the verse to keep it interesting; it finally erupts during the bridge where Volz sings One more friendship ends, and then for a while, I can breathe again; it then swings back around to the chorus which begins with Hope you’re alright, it’s been rough for me… “My Letter” is yet another testament to the arduous life Volz has had to endure.

Despite all these positive things, there are some problems. The latter half of the album has a lot of borderline-filler that doesn’t spew emotion like the beginning tracks; “Scheme” and “Best I Am” specifically fall into that category. Fortunately, there isn’t a single song that is weak enough to be called flat-out bad, though. The anger and psychological distress littered throughout the rest of the album easily make up for these lackluster moments.

In closing, had Through the Eyes curbed a bit of the filler in the second half of the album, this could’ve been a serious candidate for a Classic rating. Through the Eyes remains the one album of its time in which I still retain a strong emotional connection. The passion, the pain, the hauntingly heavy chords- it all combines to create something special. You certainly won’t find anything stunning in terms of musicianship, but the artistry is unquestionable. Through the Eyes is a heart-felt work that seamlessly combines raw power and feelings of doom. While none of us like experiencing sorrow and the sting of pain, those very same emotions can often spawn the best creative works. While most nu-metal bands are all but forgotten, Through the Eyes remains unforgettable.

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperClint Black Killin' Time
Nevermore Utopia (Demo)Soilwork The Sledgehammer Files: The Best of Soilwork
Maniac (3)
Within a saturated genre, Flaw begin to craft their own sound, but can’t completely break out of t...

Acey (4.5)

February 4th 2013

Listened to this on a long car ride yesterday and wow, I forgot how legit it is; obviously hate nu-metal but seriously still love this album.

-My Letter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmtLmHrXoU
-Only the Strong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ambiU5qaE
-Whole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sFZ0NJQks

RoderickINM
February 4th 2013

Completely agree with your review. Pos'd!

Shuyin

Amendment m/

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

turnip90210
February 4th 2013

Okay review. Disagree with it though - in my opinion, Through The Eyes is a huge flop that doesn't live up to the potential these guys had on their indie releases, and "My Letter" is one of the skid marks of the album. May whip up a review of this some day.

February 4th 2013

Well I suppose that is what makes music so great - opinions.

turnip90210

^ word.

BillTheButcher

NeoSpaz
February 4th 2013

hm, i liked only the strong, i should really find a copy of this to see what i think of the rest.

Pos'd

And it looks like they took the release date off this page

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

February 4th 2013

^Yeah I noticed that, too; evidently you've got to go to artist page to find that now.

"i listened to this album relentlessly my senior year of college. awesome album. their follow up effort was good, but nothing close to this."

I agree entirely; their albums after this weren't bad at all, they just felt average. They never stuck with me the way Through the Eyes has.

IslamicPenguins
February 4th 2013

It's so ironic that I listened to this album on a long drive on Saturday, for the first time in 5 or so years. This is one of maybe 10 albums I liked in high school that never grew off me. Potentially the greatest nu-metal album ever.

February 4th 2013

Yeah that's weird; we both pulled it out randomly on the same day and jammed it.

Willie
February 4th 2013

Also, the release date is directly below the rating at the top of the page.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

PayneTiger777
February 4th 2013

I still listen to this every now and then. Great album. It's too bad that the lead vocalist didn't go on to do anything worthwhile cause I thought he had a good voice. Five Bolt Main was quite terrible.

February 4th 2013

"Great release. One of the better albums to come out of the nu-metal era. Should try 40 Below Summer, too."

Yeah I've heard a few songs already; nothing bad but nothing special either. Will look into them more.

Slackin, bro. Slackin'

NeoSpaz
May 6th 2013

So I finally dug this up, and it's sweet. I really like the dude's vocal style, its works really
nicely with the music.

Willie
May 6th 2013

Have you heard 40 Below Summer's debut? Really good too and same kind of deal -- nu metal but with an above average vocalist.

Shuyin