RiFF RAFF
Hologram Panda

by SWIMrecords USER (1 Reviews)
February 4th, 2013 | 129 replies | 4,505 views

Review Summary: RiFF RAFF and Dame Grease bring the rice out on Hologram Panda.

RiFF RAFF is a polerizing entity, not just in terms of his music, but in the entierty of his being. This being the case, you either think: that he is a genius, that he is the worst thing to ever happen to the rap game, or you have no idea who he is. If you are amomg the latter of those options, it wont take long for you to decide which extreme of the spectrum he represents in your eyes. He is as much art as he is rap, purely because he pushes the boundries of what could be considered “music”.
For those who are already fans of THE NEON iCON, this mixtape will not disapoint, Mr Highroller brings the rice out like a backyard asian cook-out. His lyrical style has remained, for the most part, unchainged. He is still dropping word salad stream of conscious though over diverse beats that leave most trying to figure out what the hell was just said.

The mixtape opens with “PANOMERA 911”, im not sure what that means, a reference to pan american flights crashing into the twin towers in 2001? Or is it mean to be a offkilter pronunciation of panorama, like, there are cops all around me? I have no idea, but it is really fun to say. Being one of the few tracks not produced by Dame Grease (it was produced by Mike Jerz) it stands out a bit. RiFF RAFF himself is a bit of a letdown, being outshined by guest rapper B.A.R.S. Murre, but still manages to drop a both absurd and brilliant punch line, “I can pull a hamstring, soccer doctor.” Which is basically saying, pull a hamstring aka pulling your leg aka joking. Soccer doctors examine and pull hamstrings, he is one to joke around.

Dame Grease does good by RiFF with production ranging from playful guitar licks on “TiGER BEAR GARGOYLE” to trap synths in “GOiN' HAMiLTON” to an almost uneasy violin melody on “i CAN TELL STORiES”. Unfortunatly, Grease’s prowess as a producer overshadows RiFF at points, the most prominent example being “VERSACE LiES”. The beat is all dark gritty piano, dance drums, and heavy handed use of filters and phasers. It just doesn’t fit well with his light and goofy style. The only other misstep concerning production was letting SK The Hit Man do anything, both of his contributions are absolutley horrible, “CHARGERS” and “TRAPPiN’ LiKE A FOOL” being the only bad songs on an otherwise great lineup.

My personal favorite verse on the whole mixtape comes from “GOT THEM MAD”, which is sadly the only verse on the song, which is a huge waste. The bulk of the 2:43 long song is just RiFF RAFF saying “got them mad ‘cause im doin a lil somethin, got them mad ‘cause im doin a lil stuntin”. But when the verse drops, it drops hard. With outlandish boasts like “I can sneeze, I can change the breeze to winter season” and “And I work the wood like a log cabin/All this rice I brought I should have bought a china cabinet”.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed HOLOGRAM PANDA, it gave me exactaly what I wanted, RiFF RAFF spitting lines that seem cryptic nonsense at first glance, but turn out to be tightly woven metaphors and similes upon closer examination. It isnt perfect, but very few things are, especially when the artist in question has a drive to put out new material second only to Gucci Mane (RiFF RAFF put out over 90 original music videos in the last year alone).

So my final verdict on RiFF RAFF’s first true release while under Diplo’s Mad Decent label? A must listen. But be warned, it will not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you’ve never listened to RiFF RAFF before, you’ll listen to one of his songs, and be horribly confused with the youtube coments proclaiming him a genuis. Then you’ll watch another music video and ask yourself “wait, why am I still watching this guy? This is insane.” But then you will watch that third music video or listen to that third song, and you will rise from your computer and proclaim “iM FiNNA BriNG THE RiCE OUT!!!”

ethixx

February 4th 2013

peppermint tint is so fucking good

^ That.

bigguytoo9
February 4th 2013

I cant believe Diplo signed this guy to an 8 album Mad Decent deal.

Hyperion1001
February 4th 2013

damn my ear like frozen yams

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

lots of typos

Digging: School of Language - Old Fears

Kris.

listening now. rules. fuck h8ers

so its sad

what up big thug andcas
lol nigga namedropped black star

Kris.
February 4th 2013

if u strike down andcas he will become blacker than u could possibly imagine

February 4th 2013

It’s a load of shit how you can so carelessly sit behind your computer screen and direct all these fabricated claims towards someone you have no connection to other than what I allow on these ultimately impersonal threads. well I guess that’s what makes it so easy to do huh. it’s always fun on sputnik when you’re the one who gets to berate others and try to break them down with a bunch of below the belt claims for your own amusement right?

February 4th 2013

good that's what i was going for

February 5th 2013

james franco playing this guy in a movie

will win best picture

April 12th 2013

now they mad cause im doin a lil sumn

Digging: Ben Frost - A U R O R A

rap game katy perry

slipnslide

his latest track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJC62JKDzU

April 12th 2013

this is a greatest thing

I WROTE THIS FLOW ON THE BACK OF THE MONA LISA

pissbore
April 12th 2013

riff raff has a BET tattoo on his neck