Combichrist
What The Fuck Is Wrong With You People?

1.5
very poor

by Ryan Willis USER (26 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2013 | 10 replies | 1,016 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A horrible effort from a group that is capable of doing better. Out of its entirety, this album is a mess and there’s absolutely nothing here rewarding musically or lyrically, minus two tracks.

Combichrist is an Aggrotech band that formed in 2003 with their techno-enhanced The Joy of Gunz. The album marked their most definite sound, blending power noise, harsh EBM, and techno, which altogether revealed the band’s sound and overall style. Pointing fingers at Combichrist’s 2005 release, What the *** is Wrong With You People?, it’s almost obvious this album could be on the displeasing side, and that’s exactly what this album is; bothersome angst all jumbled up into a huge pile of mess. Sadly, though, this album never pays off because it’s soiled with ridiculously loud, obnoxious synthesizers, brainless lyrics, and unpleasant vocals which can very well overpower the listener and make him/her feel unsettled (in the bad way, too). End the end, this album is terribly soulless, sour, and something to disregard in the Combichrist territory.

The biggest problem with this album is the lyrics, which are incredibly mindless and laughable; most of the time they make little sense and have absolutely no meaning behind them. Take for instance, ‘What the *** is Wrong with You?’, easily one of the worst songs on this album. Starting off somewhat promising with an aggressive synthesizer, it quickly falls flat with more outrageously rambunctious synths, along with the vocalist rambling on about generic topics that ultimately offer very little for the listeners enjoyment. With lyrics such as (taken from the chorus), “Hey you, what the *** is wrong with you…Hey you what the *** is wrong with you?” Yep, there it is..awesome, right? The chorus is possibly one of the worst sounding things I’ve listened to on this album, mostly due to the unnecessary explosion of the three or four synthesizers erupting at once, making it practically unlistenable for the listener’s enjoyment.

Another huge ordeal with this album is that their sound is too similar to other EBM bands. Even though I’m not saying their sound is particularly generic, it’s entitling they lack creativity and innovation. There’s nothing new here, but just club-based tunes that can become really boring and tiresome after a while. Admittedly, though some of them are extremely catchy, like the eight minute epic ‘Brain Bypass’, which steadily builds up with a few scientific-sounding vocal samples and analog synths (I’m assuming), but never fully erupts. While it’s pretty simple, it’s actually quite relaxing and a nice break from the obnoxiousness found here. Although there are very few catchy songs here, how do expect them to be constantly playable? Well, they aren’t. Catchiness is something although this album consists of, can wear thin fast. There’s no real emotion or anything uplifting to revive this album up and yields a negative experience overall. ‘Get Your Body Beat’ is simply overproduced, with synthesizers sounding deafening and painfully noisy, drawing in this as another mediocre track.

Even though this album is putrid, they’ve actually made better. As previously mentioned, their very first album is shockingly good, as it’s blended well with different genres associating with the band. What the *** is Wrong with You People? though has zero playback value, ruined by terrible production and rancid lyrics. Minus ‘Brain Bypass’ and possibly the fierce ‘Shut up and Swallow’, this is a miserable album that I’m sure won’t attract many people. In all reality though I’m sure it will, but it sure didn’t click for me.

Song recs: