Mountains
Centralia

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
February 1st, 2013 | 43 replies | 5,458 views

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The purest form of beauty and elegance to be found in minimalism.

Drawing even more influence from Brian Eno’s groundbreaking ambient compositions, Mountains have honed their soothing downtempo drone music to the point of near perfection on their third album Centralia. A grand album to say the least, Centralia is, for the most part, comprised of sweeping epics that owe as much to psychedelic music as they do lounge music. The fizzing synthesizers that open “Liana” take after key moments in Pink Floyd’s “Echoes”, bringing to mind the imagery of a celestial mural, while “Circular C” channels the resonating essence of Air’s Moon Safari, maintaining a chilled out cool and assuring comfort throughout its ten minute runtime. “Sand” initially presents itself as a delicate breeze to whisk listeners away onto aural cloud nine, only to later evolve into a sprawling, trance-inducing piece that’s magnificent enough to put even the most stressful of minds at peace. Even the shorter pieces such as “Identical Ship” don’t lack in the evocative power the longest tracks possess, bringing gentle acoustic guitars into the sonic pallete amidst the minimalist techno, and expanding Centralia’s reaches into post-rock realms.

This is emotive drone music with not only perpetual variety, but life. The album feels like a living, breathing thing as each track develops and unravels, which makes listening to each of the songs on the album an experience similar to watching a caterpillar change into a butterfly: It’s fragile and innocent in the beginning, and once the butterfly is born, it’s the most perfect example of the smallest of things having the ability to evoke such moving feelings of wonder and awe at the beauty of nature. It’s an appropriate analogy, as Centralia is as natural and whimsical as music comes. It takes its influences and converts them into meticulously layered journeys that shows a duo working at the height of their talent. Overall, it’s astonishing how music can be this low-key, yet so breathtaking and (pun absolutely intended) majestic at the same time as it is here on Centralia.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2

Monheim
February 1st 2013

Excellent review for a fantastic album. Probably my favorite release of the year so far.

iswimfast
February 1st 2013

i had a teacher in high school that lived in Centralia, PA. one of the 7 remaining members of the
town because the government made them all leave due to the underground coal fire. i wonder if that
relates. prolly not.

great review.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

MisterTornado
February 1st 2013

Been meaning to check this out, sounds pretty wonderful

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - 0%

February 1st 2013

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the review.

So yeah, Sobhi-style review on this one. Also, 69th review, wooooooooo I originally envisioned I'd review some more erotic music for the occasion, but this'll do.

Also, since every album that was relesed this week that I planned on reviewing has been reviewed by Staff and they've already conveyed my opinions better than I could have myself, I'm gonna spend the last days of this week reviewing some really overlooked and barely known albums from last week such as this one. Albums that don't even have pages, let alone reviews, and ones that I really like a lot. All 4.5's actually, greg84 style (lol I kid, I kid), since I really don't review enough new releases that I rate 4.5's.

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

February 1st 2013

Seriously man, kudos for reviewing this. I was actually thinking about doing this one.

February 1st 2013

This is going to sound like a stupid question but have you heard Choral? It's just as beautiful.

February 1st 2013

I have, and I agree completely, Choral is just an absolute treat. These two haven't put out a bad album yet, they have a seriously strong discography going so far. Shame their music doesn't get more attention, because this album in particular just has such a wide range of appeal, it's ridiculous.

February 1st 2013

Still need to listen to this more

February 1st 2013

I can't get enough of "Sand", there's no way this album isn't going to be on my end of the year list.

NocteDominum
February 1st 2013

Big call dude, seems justified though.

FelixCulpa
February 1st 2013

"Circular C" sounds pretty darn good. Really digging the natural flow of the song.

IsItLuck?
February 2nd 2013

Good start to the year here. Needs more attention.

AliW1993
February 2nd 2013

Good review Alex. I feel like I should give this a listen.

February 3rd 2013

Yeah this is better than Choral

Whoa new layout

tommygun
February 3rd 2013

sweet review man pos hard

this sounds really cool will check out for sure

February 3rd 2013

Not sure what the pun is here, but good review.

February 3rd 2013

"Not sure what the pun is here, but good review."

You know how the lyrics in "America the Beautiful" go: "For purple mountain majesties"? That's kind of what I was getting at. I know that's a bit of a stretch for people to get, but I commonly hear "majestic" used to describe mountains anyway.

Also, thank you to whoever featured this. I appreciate it, even if it's kind of a random feature.

February 3rd 2013

That makes sense, I suppose, but yes it is a bit of a stretch haha. But good review, my friend