The Ataris
All Soul's Day & The Graveyard of the Atlantic

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
January 31st, 2013 | 25 replies

Review Summary: What happened to those dreams we had when we were young?

To say The Ataris’ career has been bumpy would be an understatement. Whether it’s the constant line-up changes or the band’s change in sound on their last two albums, the band’s hard work just never seems to pay off. However, if the band’s last digital EP is a sign of things to come then The Ataris may be brewing up something special for their next full length album. Although it’s already been over two years since these songs were released, they are a beacon of home for anybody who has ever called themselves a fan of The Ataris.

The first track ‘All Soul’s Day’ is one of the most impressive songs Kris Roe has written in years. Like many Ataris’ songs it manages to be highly upbeat in spite of its painfully honest lyrics. At its core, the song is about a broken marriage and you can hear the emotion in his voice as he shouts I Wish I could turn around, erase our lives take back those vows. I guess it’s not that easy now. I’d tear that ***ing chapel to the ground. These dark lyrics are immediately followed by a surprisingly upbeat chorus making it an honest and addicting song. Instrumentally the song is nothing out of the ordinary, but it’s undeniably catchy and Roe’s strong vocal performance brings it to life.

The Next track on the EP is ‘The Graveyard of the Atlantic’ which is also tentatively the name of their next album. It’s not nearly as immediate as ‘All Souls Day’ as it’s slower paced, but the lyrics are another home run. The song is about reflecting on life and your dreams and essentially following those dreams at any cost. It’s an encouraging ballad that’s likely to connect with anybody who has ever had doubts about their life.

Tonight, the echoes of our lives are calling out don’t surrender, don’t surrender

For those who haven’t heard The Ataris’ or even those who have been wondering what happened to them, this EP does a great job of displaying Kris Roe’s talent as a musician. He’s been the one constant force throughout the band’s existence and his vocals in these songs are filled with a level of aggression and confidence that’s been missing from the band for years. Roe also proves he can still write deep and meaningful lyrics. The song structures themselves might be simple, but they’re full of emotion and honesty making them a great addition to the band’s catalogue as well as an exciting preview of what’s to come for The Ataris.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
3.3

19749 Comments

*NOTE* this was actually released in 2010. also not sure what happeend to the artwork so bear with me.

PLEASE just give these 2 songs a chance. I'll post a stream after work but I believe these songs are on band camp as well as youtube

'All Soul's Day'

'Graveyard of the Atlantic'

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

YoYoMancuso
January 31st 2013

nice review as usual my friend.

YankeeDudel
January 31st 2013

just a terrible terrible band with a terrible name

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

19749 Comments

thanks jack. it's nothing special i just wanted to review these 2 songs to get the band more attention but i appreciate it!

Calc

hmmm should I though?

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

19749 Comments

yes it's just 2 songs come on man lol start with 'all souls day' cause it's more catchy.

Calc
January 31st 2013

k once u post links, ima make some din din

19749 Comments

lazy bastard lol i'll post them after work in like an hour

ConcubinaryCode

2071 Comments

Your username makes sense to me now

19749 Comments

yeah they're my favorite band from when i was a teenager. also love nintendo and atari system though

Curse.
January 31st 2013

doooooooo youuuu remember when you were young and your wanted to set the world on fiiiiirrrreeeee

Athom
January 31st 2013

There's an acoustic video of Graveyard of the Atlantic on youtube that's the best thing ever

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

@redskyformiles,

sweet man you should post it if you don't mind. also whoah! somebody cares about this band!

Athom

here you go dude.

I love the Ataris. I've seen them dozens of times over the last 12 or so years. Kris still puts on a good show, throwing drums be damned.

19749 Comments

thanks i appreciate the link.

glad i'm not the only one that cares about this band. if the other songs on the new album sound anything like this I will be sooo stoked.

pos cuz i luv u

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Cheers captain

SgtPepper

pos cuz i luv u [2]
And the review is great.

19749 Comments

Thanks as always Paperback. I know this isn't really your kind of music but the EP is 10 minutes total if u wanna check it out ;)

Ecnalzen
February 1st 2013

His vocals sound better than I remember. Granted, I haven't listened to them since In This Diary came out, which may have something to do with it.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCbEWssr1Kk