Angra
Rebirth

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
January 31st, 2013 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Power metal is always going to be a hit or miss genre within the metal community. Oddly enough, if there’s a progressive touch added into the music we somehow or other get a wave of attention on the band’s critically acclaimed albums and accept them for who they are and not even bother with the rest of the genre. To me that’s just weird, because a lot of people are ignoring quite a few genre gems that way. But hey if that’s what it takes for people to appreciate or enjoy some power metal then so be it. One thing is for sure Angra is one of those special bands. In 1993 the band released Angels Cry that featured unique and distinguishable neo-classical elements from Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt that had zero connection of influence from Yngwie Malmsteen. In 1996 Angra released a monster of a follow up with Holy Land by incorporating its known neo-classical elements with Brazilian folk. Unfortunately, Angra dismissed all characteristics two years later of what sculpted their sound and what made them a unique entity with Fireworks, which purely focused on a classic heavy metal style (more than the others). During the lethargic years of a world tour that was created by the unsettling chemistry within the band, Andre Matos, Lu*s Mariutti, and Ricardo Confessori left due to personal reasons. Although there was uncertainty for the band’s future Angra’s outgoing guitarists picked up some incredible replacements from other local bands. In essence, Angra sort of did go through a Rebirth.

From the start of Rebirth’s intro, “In Excelsis”, listeners will experience a rush of nostalgia for those who are familiar to Angra’s work. The intro also sooths right into “Nova Era” which portrays superb guitar work, awesome symphonic variations that get you feeling that you’re on a ***ing journey (at least I do), and arguably better vocal work from Edu Falaschi than of Angra’s previous singer, Andre Matos. “Millennium Sun” follows “Nova Era” with song writing that necessarily hasn’t been seen before – seems like a ballad at first, but slowly progresses into a mid-tempo power metal song – but “Millennium Sun” shows notable praise for its outstanding guitar solos as well as Edu’s ever growing comforting voice that will leave a positive experience for the listener.

Despite Angra’s ballad-esque songs that dominate most of their albums, Rebirth still shows that these Brazilians know how metal. As stated before “Nova Era” is one of those high-tempo power metal song that has made Angra famous. “Acid Rain”, “Judgment Day”, and “Running Alone” are some other songs that show Angra at their most, for lack of better words, “aggressive”. Whilst the main epic, “Unholy Wars (Part I - Imperial Crown / Part II - Forgiven Return)”, is without a doubt a must listen but I have to warn the listener as to not turn it off within the first minute and a half; the intro may seem out of place (which it is) but the rest of the song is definitely worth your while.

So far I’ve basically described a big chunk of what the listener will experience with Rebirth. The rest of the album are ballads; ballads that are notably riddled with classic Angra composure. In “Heroes of Sand” we see a magnificent arrangement of a soothing, yet complex acoustic passage that’s layered underneath Edu’s singing. The song also jumps right into the whole epic and symphonic composition that many Angra Fans are accustomed to. While its brother song, “Rebirth”, in so many ways are structured the same, both songs are still relaxing and enjoyable nonetheless. “Visions Prelude” is the ending ballad which was adapted from Chopin’s Op.28 No. 20 in C minor, the song itself isn’t a highlight by any means but it sure does end the album on a decent note.

In conclusion, Rebirth brings Angra back to form after the failed musical approach on Fireworks. The album has plenty of classics, plenty of solos, plenty of unique acoustic passages, plenty of hooks to remember, and most importantly a perfect match with the new members. Rebirth is a must have for any power metal fan and obviously any fan of Angra.

Recommended songs: