Disturbed
Believe

by NinthVenom USER (3 Reviews)
January 31st, 2013 | 30 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Disturbed nailed it this time in their second effort "Believe"

Disturbed is some of the best metal of this decade, and that's quite a bold statement considering some of the great metal we've had lately. For me Disturbed has taken the crown from Metallica. Understand I am comparing Disturbed to Metallica's recent work
which I should mention is awful. Anyway, before I get off topic I'll tell you about Disturbed's second effort "Believe".

1."Prayer"- An excellent song, roaring with strong lyrics about what society has taken from us. The main riff of the song isn't that complicated, but still provides a good backup for David's strong vocals in the song. 4/5

2."Liberate"- I could never count how many "mother***ers" are in this song, it's absolutely relentless. Which is what I love about this song. The lyrics aren't bad by any means, just a little simple in the verses, and repetitive. Despite that the chorus is very strong and the most well-done part of the song. 4.5/5

3."Awaken"- Wow, just wow. This is one of my favorite Disturbed songs and easily my favorite on the album. The verses go at a slow pace, then pick up with the outstanding chorus absolutely fueled with the energy and passion in David's voice. Do yourself a favor and listen to this one. 5/5

4."Believe"- The title track of the album has a different feel to it than the rest of the album, but is still great. After the first chorus is a short orchestra that adds a great drama to the song. The chorus honestly isn't put together that well, but it is still likeable and has a epic feeling to it. 4/5

5."Remember"- This is one of the softest songs on the album, but is still excellent. The verses have a darker feel, then uplifts you at the chorus. Not much more to say about this song, but definetly check this one out. 4/5

6."Intoxication"- I can't stand this song, easily the weakest song on the album. There is just nothing I like about this song. Especially not David saying the same line over and over again "Tell me you like it, tell me you want it." The chorus isn't catchy at all, and the song shows no talent within the band. 1/5

7."Rise"- This song is so uplifting from the last song. The main riff is also one of the best on the album, for me being the highlight of the song. Another thing that drives the song is the energy, like in "Ten Thousand Fists" The lyrics are very well though out as well. 4.5/5

8."Mistress"- Another one of my least favorites on the album. There is nothing wrong with this one really, and you may find yourself bobbing your head in some parts, it just feels kind of like a filler. 2.5/5

9."Breathe"- Better than the last track, but still not great. Nothing is exactly incredible in this song, not even the vocals which are a dissappointment. This one feels like a filler as well, just a slightly better than average one. 3/5

10."Bound"- I absolutely love this song, it's easily my second favorite song on the album. While the transition from the verses to the choruses is typical for the album. It being the verses being slower and quiet and the chorus being an outburst of epic. With how great the chorus is I don't even care. The riff is very rhythmic and fits the song perfectly, and David's vocals are very impressive. 5/5

11. "Devour"- What this song has going for it is the great instrumental, and the change in formula, which I can respect. However since the chorus is so slow it doesn't feel very energetic, which makes the song feel a little shallow. I would give this song a 3 but I'm going to give it a little extra points for their attempt at changing it up. 3.5/5

12."Darkness"- This song is so dark, but so beautiful. If any other band tried to do this, it would be a disaster, but Disturbed nails it so perfectly. If you're not convinced that David can sing, listen to this one. "Darkness" is also the only song on the album where you can clearly hear a piano, and it sounds wonderful. Disturbed is kind of the band that usually goes out with a bang, and on this one they did. This song could have been really bad, and was a bold move for the band. 5/5

Recommended tracks: Awaken, Bound, Rise, Liberate, Darkness

3.3

You must lift bro.

Digging: She Past Away - Belirdi Gece

talesfromthevagina
January 30th 2013

Honestly the lyrics suck and that comes from a guy who actually enjoys this band from time to time

Storm In A Teacup

Good first review.

nononsense
January 30th 2013

I grew out of this band a while ago. Notalgia though, for sure.

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

fromtheinside
January 31st 2013

remember was a cool song

Digging: Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness

zaruyache
January 31st 2013

Track-by-track reviews are generally frowned upon on this site blah blah blah this review didn't really tell me much about the specifics of the album blah blah blah. It's your first review so I won't neg it, but try and stay away from the track-by-track format in the future, yeah?

Digging: Alpha Male Tea Party - Droids

TheSupernatural
January 31st 2013

I was about to say everything zaruyache said lol. I'm still relatively new here but I know that all that at least. I'd also add that intro is unnecessary for the review, but lots of reviewers will post things like that as a comment right after they publish the review.

As for the music, I've never been a big fan of Disturbed. A couple of cool songs here and there but overall really repetitive in my opinion. Liberate is fun to listen to.

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

Gwyn.
January 31st 2013

Remember was a cool song (2)

Nostalgia

NeoSpaz
January 31st 2013

I don't mind this album, but you should try to avoid using comparisons such as "Better than Metallica" It just seems less professional, same with personals.

Pretty bare review, if you're going to insist on doing a track by track, put more information for each track then 2 sentences.

FrozenVain
January 31st 2013

"disturbed has taken the crown from Metallica" I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but...what?

hongjinho
January 31st 2013

"disturbed has taken the crown from Metallica" roflmfao.

You must be 12 years old, welcome to Sputnik.

Gwyn.
January 31st 2013

Anyone who thinks Metallica has a "crown" is probably 12 years old too dude.

Jacquibim
January 31st 2013

Dear lord, what am I witnessing?

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstörung

ViperAces

I coudlve made the exact same review 1 year ago

ViperAces
January 31st 2013

Yea, I can still enjoy it though.

Minus.
January 31st 2013

Vocal style got old really quick

jmnewcomer18
January 31st 2013

They are a great band but for some reason alot of their newer music is just more of the same. The only album i truly enjoyed was the Sickness from 2000. Every other album had like 3-5 songs that i enjoyed.