Pure Love
Anthems

2.0
poor

by Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (64 Reviews)
January 31st, 2013 | 21 replies

Release Date: 02/04/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Frank and Co try so hard to live up to the album's title, but fall short.

Frank Carter’s departure from Gallows has been talked about ad nauseum ever since he announced he was leaving the band back in July of 2011. Gallows bounced back by hiring Wade MacNeil of Alexisonfire and released their self-titled album in September. Carter’s post-Gallows project Pure Love has been eyed cautiously by many ever since the first single “Bury My Bones” showed Frank Carter and bandmate Joe Carroll doing their damndest to channel The Darkness. After much waiting, Anthems finally arrives, and it is the mixed bag that the disparate singles alluded to.

In some ways Frank deserves immense credit for how Anthems turned out. He has a singing voice that holds its own and actually drives most of the songs. He also knows his way around catchy melodies, with songs like “The Hits” and “Handsome Devils Club” having big hooks. Unfortunately, those hooks are as far as most songs get. Most of the time it seems like the band is trying too hard to stretch one hook into an entire song, which is unsuccessful as a whole.

The biggest issue with Anthems, and an issue that proves to be fatal, is the lack of identity brought on by trying to sound like a different influence in each song. As previously stated, “Bury My Bones” sounds exactly like a track from The Darkness, “March of the Pilgrims” is nothing more than Oasis worship, The Clash influences are tossed around all throughout the album, none of them particularly interesting to listen to. With all the influences being thrown about, all that ends up happening is Anthems comes off as more than a little disingenuous. It seems that all Frank and Co did was try to take things that made their influences big, throw awful lyrics over it, and see if any of it could stick in the brain long enough to be a hit. Very few tracks hit the mark.

All told, Pure Love is a curious disaster. It is clear that Frank wanted to distance his current material from Gallows, but he seems uncomfortable in going so far. The lack of cohesion, blatant worshipping of other bands, and fruitless search for big hooks makes the album a mess, albeit one with great moments. There is an underlying feeling that one day Pure Love could cobble together something great, but not until Frank Carter feels comfortable writing without having his hand held by the bands that came before him.

Beach Slang Cheap Thrills On A Dead End StreetLinkin Park The Hunting Party
Powerman 5000 Builders of the FutureLord Mantis Death Mask
Chuck Ragan Till MidnightPerfect Pussy Say Yes to Love
3.3
Joseph Viney STAFF (4.5)
Is Love all you need?...

January 30th 2013

Don't let anyone fool you, this is boring and not good

January 30th 2013

I listened to it a few times over

I didn't have a whole lot to say

InfamousGrouse
January 30th 2013

I had no idea this was coming out so soon

fish.

22024 Comments

are you kidding, he left gallows like 2 years ago

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

nvm, I'm an idiot

InfamousGrouse
January 30th 2013

Lol has it been that long? Shit

fish.

22024 Comments

18 months or so but still

Nikkolae
January 30th 2013

i'll give it a 2.8-3 cause of Handsome Devils Club and the other singles but by god is Heavy Kind Of Chain the most boring song ever or what?

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

January 30th 2013

AFAIK there isn't a leak just a stream which has been around for a while.

But yeah I don't mind it, I think it's a solid rock album. Kinda like Frank's own (International) Noise Conspiracy. Funny thing about the lyrics not being great on this album though, on Grey Britain his lyrics were phenomenal.

January 30th 2013

This whole album is boring

NothingForSomething

That's disappointing to hear

January 30th 2013

Beach of Diamonds is probably my favourite track from the album.

SputnikSweetheart
January 31st 2013

Well written review I just have a problem with this sentence: "The Clash influences are tossed around all throughout the album, none of them particularly interesting to listen to". Can you actually "listen to influences" ?? I don't know it sounds weird to me.

Anyway, I kind of agree with what you wrote except that I enjoyed this a little more I guess

Cheers

Owantjaaaa
January 31st 2013

"There is an underlying feeling that one day Pure Love could cobble together something great, but not until Frank Carter feels comfortable writing without having his hand held by the bands that came before him."

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

CasinoColumbus
January 31st 2013

I'm completely fine with Frank trying something new for him, but he could do so much better than this.

Killerhit
February 1st 2013

Dang I think this is actually quite good but pos for being convincin'

February 6th 2013

I think this is mostly only going to work with people who are unfamiliar with the duo's previous work. Of course there'll be Gallows fans who will also like this (hi) but very few from the hardcore scene are likely to embrace this.

Owantjaaaa
February 9th 2013

^same here, though I prefer their previous work, I think this is great too.

VheissuCrisis
February 14th 2013

Actually thought this was pretty good.

AutoRock
February 14th 2013

Its nowhere near as bad as the rating. It's jut not for gallows fans.