A Band Of Orcs
Adding Heads to the Pile

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
January 30th, 2013 | 16 replies

Review Summary: Lame death metal about cool Orcs and other mumbo jumbo.

A Band of Orcs, ey? A somewhat silly band name, yet it was the very thing that got me intrigued by the group in the first place. I’m a pretty big fantasy fan, so who in my neck of the woods wouldn’t want to listen to a band named A Band of Orcs? That is just too badass…right? Well, yes. It is a bit too badass. My initial thought upon discovery of this group was (Oh, some folk death metal stuff. Awesome!) I was very wrong. What I got instead was a standard death metal band with few original moments and with lyrics that just sometimes has anything to do with Orcs. The overall style sort of reminds me of Waking The Cadaver *shivers*. I will of course not rate this album based on my disappointment.

Adding Heads to the Pile is a death metal album in the style of [Insert random generic, boring, modern death metal band here]

Adding heads to the pile is a tame mess that was spawned in 2012, which basically already tells us that this is one of the most uncreative death metal albums ever. The biggest problem with Adding Heads to the Pile is the weak production. A Band of Orcs are really a group with a lot of potential, but is held back by the lacking excellence in production. With some editing and mixing Adding Head to the Pile could be a slightly better album. The production is, however, not the only thing that is holding this band back. Their songwriting is mostly uninspired and really basic. For being released in 2012 it’s just not going to do it. By “doing it” I mean of course: The satisfying of veteran death metallers. While Adding Heads to the Pile is a somewhat fun listen, this “fun” does not save them from being simply mediocre.

The vocals are really bad. They are generic and have that typical modern weakness to them. The screams are average and the growls have no impact at all. The highlight of this album is probably the bass. It’s good well-played rumbling bass. All the players are no doubt efficient in their trade, but it gets so redundant and tame after just a few songs. The guitar solos are decent, but once again nothing special at all. The drumming is “meh” and is standard beyond belief. Adding Heads to the Pile also clocks over one hour. That is just insane! It’s a pretty silly thing since all the songs sound the same.

I wouldn’t really recommend this to anyone. Not even if you really like orcs.

Whispered Shogunate MacabreI Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIII
Pig Destroyer Prowler in the YardRotting Christ Sanctus Diavolos
Eyeconoclast Drones of the AwakeningEmperor In the Nightside Eclipse

"Find the halflings! Argh! Find the halflings!" - Lurtz

JackSoffalot
January 30th 2013

I heard about this band in a Dillinger Escape Plan interview and it sounded interesting but it looks like I'll have to pass on this. Good review.

January 30th 2013

Thanks, Jack. Yeh, it's not that good.

EvoHavok
January 30th 2013

Oh, I remember when a friend showed me these dudes.

Digging: Pandemonium - Insomnia

19756 Comments

damn too bad this sucks cool band name

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

Vakarian12
January 30th 2013

doubt I'll bother looking into this

good review

Digging: Eternum - The Devouring Descent

MAN FLESH!
damn too bad this sucks cool band name [2]

January 30th 2013

thanks, Vakarian. You are doing right by not checking it, it's not worth your time.

19756 Comments

yeah good review pos'd

Atari is true bro

swee is rev, poos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Always appreciated, captain

YUJOS
January 30th 2013

So.. even Saruman couldn't save them from the bad production from what I can understand from the review : P

Digging: Secrets of the Moon - Seven Bells

January 30th 2013

Well Saruman got killed by Orlando Bloom so he isn't worthy either.

BlackLlama
February 1st 2013

Nekrogoblikon > This.

Digging: Stigmata - Do Unto Others

February 1st 2013

Agreed. I thought No one survives was pretty damn good, but the rest of that album didn't really amaze me, but yeh it's way better than this.