Funeral for a Friend
Conduit

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
January 29th, 2013 | 117 replies | 4,251 views

Release Date: 01/28/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And sometimes it’s just not worth it…

It makes sense that Funeral For A Friend would try to outweigh their previous releases, but unfortunately the result sounds forced, pushed and restrained by the band’s own limitations. Despite all the energy that Funeral For A Friend are pushing their formulaic approach to this 2013 release leaves the listener uninspired and wanting more. At just under thirty minutes this full-length release defies the usual length times promoting a rushed feel to the record. This is both a positive and a negative for Funeral For A Friend; if the album was any longer the listen would be tiring, filling in the unnecessary holes and therefore stretching this already uninspiring material to breaking point. With this play time however, the band can finish up before they truly outstay their welcome, ensuring that the merit able parts of Conduit do make head way on the listener. As it is however the length becomes a problem for those looking for longer track lengths and a deeper writing process.

Despite all the negativity, there are some substantial quality parts to Funeral For A Friend’s Conduit. This is found especially in the rhythm section and neck snapping metalcore-esque riff sequences. Combine this with a few intelligent hook lines and memorable chorus phrasings and the album picks itself up from stumbling. Funeral For A Friend excels where vocalist Matthew Davies keeps it clean – Davies vocals begin to strain and weaken during shouted sections and are near abysmal when screamed. It could be that his voice is simply not suited to a more aggressive vocal style but when used cramp his vocals into a flat and emotionless state. Alternatively, the gang vocals that make an appearance from time-to-time do show the creativity of the band and portray the mood perfectly at complete contrast to Davies’ strained, if not forced vocal efforts. Album highlights include the musicianship in “Elements” and the above mentioned gang vocals. “Elements” regrettably is too brief for the listener to get the full benefit and relies on an array of catchy yet simplistic chugging, showing that the music does not need to be overly technical or fancy.

Final track “High Castles” finishes the album on a high. Funeral For A Friend showcase that their slightly longer tracks do increase the albums positive reception. The track also maintains the mid-tempo and shuts off abruptly with those already mentioned successful metalcore-esque grooves. Overall, Conduit marks a progression for the band, developing into a fresher, younger sound whilst at the same time losing some of the band’s already proven and initial flair – otherwise regressing from an already successful soundscape into a trend hopping blend of young and old. This Welsh post hardcore act has, as it seems run its course. The exploration of other groups sounds do not add to this established band’s sound, nor does it really remove itself from the fact that this act didn’t really need to do anything different to appease its fan-base, or draw a new crowd in. Stylistically, Conduit is flawless but on the back of the bands catalogue it is sub-par on almost all accounts. Comparisons will always surface when an established bands takes a slightly different approach; sometimes the work pays off, other times the band will fall squarely on their face. This time around Funeral For A Friend are somewhere in the middle with their 2013 release Conduit.

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock
3.3
Londonskylines (5)
“Conduit” is shaped by a stubborn insistence to disregard history and anything else outside of t...

Mike Stagno EMERITUS (3.4)
A step down, but still solid....

RobH (4.5)
It's No 'Casually Dressed', but Funeral have crafted another superb album...

January 28th 2013

Between a 2.5 and a 3, rounded down.

robvusechevic
January 28th 2013

I'm not a fan of these guys. Nice review though.

This is so damn generic

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

I heard they turned into a shitty generic metalcore band

January 28th 2013

Thanks duder, it's good that the new releases are starting to pick up a bit.

J0ckstrapsFTW

Ya me no likey

19453 Comments

Damn I was really looking forward to this cause I loved welcome home Armageddon

Digging: The Who - Tommy

CK
January 28th 2013

Sweet review! I figured this would be meh in comparison to their last release, which was really good.

I heard they turned into a shitty generic metalcore band

I think they listened to a BFMV album

THIEF
January 28th 2013

This is certainly worse than WHA, but I believe there are some positives to be found. This is their most cohesive effort to date, and does not jump from genre to genre awkwardly like Hours and MH did.

The biggest let down are the short song lengths that are structured identically. FFAF would have been wise to deviate into creativity, but instead they made the same song 11 times..

I'll probably rate this a 3, but I'll let it settle more first.

January 28th 2013

I'll probably rate this a 3, but I'll let it settle more first.

Probably a generous 3

Willie
January 28th 2013

Would this album feel more or less rushed than this review ;)

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

January 28th 2013

Would this album feel more or less rushed than this review ;)

Definitely more. Sup Trey?

MuhNamesTyler
January 28th 2013

Downloaded this earlier but haven't listened yet. Review didn't get me excited lol but I was expecting a let down anyway.

January 28th 2013

Review didn't get me excited lol but I was expecting a let down anyway.

It would be weird if a 2.5/5 review got people excited though.

Ecnalzen
January 28th 2013

I listened to most of this on Spotify and didn't really enjoy what I heard of it. I was bummed because I really enjoy the rest of their albums. Don't want to judge it too soon, but I don't have high hopes.

Never really thought there were awkward genre transitions on Hours and M&H, thief.

January 28th 2013

The last couple were okay..

THIEF
January 28th 2013

Genre transitions was the wrong term.. Tone shifts would be more accurate. M&H is the worst culprit. It was a strange fusion between Tales and Hours that simply didn't work in my mind. However, the album did provide Ghosts and Charlie Don't Surf, which I consider to be two of the greatest songs they've ever written.

I will say this. Spine, Nails, and Sun-less have to be three of the coolest songs they've played in a while. Problem is, in the end they feel like rough blueprints that could have been expanded into masterpieces. Oh well, I will appreciate the album for what it is and move on. I only have so much nostalgia in the tank.

Willie
January 28th 2013

Nothing. I just found it on Spotify... haven't listened to it yet.

zuzek
January 28th 2013

Not the best FFaF record, I'll give you that, but..

Would this album feel more or less rushed than this review ;) [2]