Wartorn
Iconic Nightmare

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
January 28th, 2013 | 35 replies | 4,242 views

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An expertly crafted, rhythmically faithful protest of tyranny - bringing to bear the true hallmarks of their forebears

Heavily influenced by late 80s D-Beat, Wartorn brandish their roots with pride - yet manage to innovate in a recently reinvigorated crust revival movement. Their Southern Lord debut not only hits hard on all the right crust buttons, but injects a much needed crossover appeal that's worked well to separate them from their contemporaries. In this scenario, Iconic Nightmare proceeds furiously through its genre-typical 25 minute run time, while still providing an oasis of respite within the confines of tracks like "Six Feet Under" where slower death metal grooves prep the listener for a seriously thrash-induced D-Beat breakdown (if that is considered "respite"). The record is much better for this stark contrast of plodding atmospherics to uptempo destruction, never losing sight of the ultimate impending chaos.

Technically, the shouted vocals are well executed, yet punctuated by somewhat lacking low-end growls at times (notably on the title track, but forgiven due to a well-paced air raid siren!). Their dual-guitar attack of course allows for additional melodic variation and some nice shredding, while also enhancing the density of the riffing. Albeit minor, the only gripe here lies in a near-stereotypical propensity for diminished-to-minor transitions that occurs nearly constantly, but for the sake of minimalism and theme this is easily reconcilable. Iconic Nightmare is an expertly crafted, rhythmically faithful protest of tyranny - bringing to bear the true hallmarks of their forebears. Southern Lord's recent investment in crust will no doubt pay off with its burgeoning popularity; hopefully signees like Wartorn receive their due credit.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf

3.9 excellent

Digging: Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

January 28th 2013

hey thats what i thought too

January 28th 2013

haha, in all seriousness though, the recommended section has piqued my interest

January 28th 2013

yeah you'll dig if you're into those records, but this has a bit more DM influence in it.

hesperus
January 28th 2013

Am I the only one getting annoyed by the incremental ratings? All the things I like about this site are the ways in which it ISN'T Pitchfork.

January 28th 2013

wtf who cares it's just a number

hesperus
January 28th 2013

Idk, it's just weird that a reviewer would need that many options. Like, is there really a substantial difference between a 3.9 and a 4?

oh, I thought the 3.9 was some kind of db error

well I'm behind the times

January 28th 2013

well the difference obviously isn't substantial, but it still exists. a lot of our reviews end up between 3.5 and 4, so this helps differentiate a bit. hopefully we are done talking about this now that it's been done on a few reviews... topic is starting to bore me.

Omaha

*sigh*

GOOD REVIEW SOBHI, MAY HAVE TO CHECK THIS ONE OUT

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

demigod!
January 28th 2013

nice review, gonna check this for sure

Digging: Black Flag - My War

January 28th 2013

from ashes rise rule so i'm looking forward to giving it a spin

I can dig it
So many albums end up in that gray area that is between 3.5 and 4

ILJ
January 28th 2013

I think in the lower ratings it's less significant but when you get up in the 4s those small .1s can be quite significant.

At least for me.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

ILJ

Nice dig treb

HenchmanOfSanta
January 28th 2013

Sounds awesome, will check out.

HSThomas
January 29th 2013

Hey you're not supposed to be reviewing this stuff, you're staff go back to reviewing indie and hip-hop.

Kidding good review and all though but it does read at points like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill about what is essentially a standard release for the genre nothing more.

Also gotta admit it's strange seeing you review this stuff. I thought you guys hated this stuff (except Kyle and Adam Thomas) because it wasn't musically complex enough or some such retarded reason.

January 29th 2013

it's not very complex, but it's pretty great for what it is. i dont think these guys are capable of dropping a classic record (like most of this genre), but i still love crust and its various crossover subgenres. lately, i pretty much only listen to hiphop and hardcore. im not really good at writing about anything but hiphop/ r&b, just trying to get out of my comfort zone.

also, i'd like to think i had one of the more eclectic year end lists of the staff

TheNexus100

how do you rate shit 3.9 or 2.7 or whatever wtf R U A GOD

HSThomas
January 29th 2013

Well at least now Sobhi you can boast that your ratings are almost as eclectic as your end of year lists ;)