Morser & The Swarm
Split

by regular stormy USER (27 Reviews)
January 27th, 2013 | 4 replies | 776 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A complimentary mix of eclectic deathgrind and classic metalcore.

I acquired this release with no clue who Mörser was, so I researched them, the description I kept finding was death metal / grindcore, thus I expected another generic deathgrind band. Mörser's five-and-a-half minutes of the split is an eclectic gumbo of like, scronky death metal, a little bit of juns, some epic crust, and grind, sign me up, I'm into this. I'm somewhat convinced that this is what deathcore should've sounded like.

Contrarily, The Swarm's three-and-a-half minutes is extremely focused, straight forward thrashy metalcore. For those of you who are unfamiliar, The Swarm was Chris Colohan, Christian McMaster, and Mike Maxymuik's band pre-Cursed. Somewhwat reminiscent of Converge's self-explanation as a hardcore band with ripped off Slayer riffs, with more of a focus on the hardcore aspect of the sound. If you dig late '90s metalcore, this is a must have.