Chastisement
Alleviation Of Pain

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
January 27th, 2013 | 11 replies | 830 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alleviation of Pain is nothing too spectacular, but there is no damn bullshit and is sure to satisfy.

What is Chastisement? Well it’s pretty much just another Swedish “melodic” death metal band, but with somewhat high standards in their songwriting. It seems like melodic-death is a really hit or miss genre overall, and this album goes somewhere on the top bunk, but like a lot of other music in the same bed it lacks a bit of originality. It’s all been heard before. It should still get some kudos for being released in 2002 and not in 2010-. Whatever someone may feel about the originality, this album has one thing that cannot be denied and that is the lack of bull***. If you are a Swedish death metal fan and want something heavy, thrashy , no wankery, no cleans then this is the thing for you. Alleviation of Pain is a meaty assault without any overdue number crunching or mathematic scrambling.

The riffs are as I stated very thrashy and damn amazing overall. The entire album is in general very “head-bang-able” for anyone who gets that. The bass is filly and groans lovely throughout the album. There are no keyboards either so heaviness and brutality gets more exposed. The drumming is fairly standard, but really crushing and the double bass drums patters on just perfect. The vocal effort is also really good. They are growl-based with deeper or higher grunts. They never seem to deviate into screams which is nice, because it wouldn’t fit the albums heavy style.

A lot of the songs are mid-paced with a few faster tracks like Destructutorial which is a standout. Probably the best song from this album is Tsavo – The Land of Slaughter and that is a really good one. The intro track is an instrumental really fast opener. It’s actually the most technical track on the entire album and really does not give you a feeling of what comes next. Besides being somewhat misleading it’s actually a very cool track with some outstanding guitar-work.

Unfortunately, Chastisement broke up 2004 after releasing one live album. They released their first demos in 1997 and have since then only released one full-length album.

I give Alleviation of Pain a strong 3.5.

Whispered Shogunate MacabreI Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIII
Pig Destroyer Prowler in the YardRotting Christ Sanctus Diavolos
Eyeconoclast Drones of the AwakeningEmperor In the Nightside Eclipse

Here are some songs.

Destructutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRhZMdJZqI

Tsavo –The Land of Slaughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmA9YQjg2o

If you like what you hear I would also recommend a track from their EP which was released in 1999.

Rapid Fluid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHaHuKkJfY

Neither of these songs are in great quality, but it will have to do.
Destructutorial also repeats for some reason.

(deleted)

sl4y3r
January 27th 2013

Lol, I was actually the one who added this band on sputnik. Quite surprised that it got a review. Will probably give this album another chance sometime, but from what I remember, it's pretty good stuff. Good review also, pos'd

January 27th 2013

Hehe, really? Yeh that's quite the coincidence since you have been scrambling through my reviews these latest days (and I'm grateful for it)
Thanks for the pos, bro.

Voivod
January 27th 2013

Heard the two YT links, not bad, not bad at all and I wish all Swedish "melodic" death metal bands would sound like this one.

Good review, pos.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

I'm glad you dig.

"I wish all "melodic" Swedish bands would sound like this one."
Wouldn't the world be a beautiful place?

Voivod
January 27th 2013

The album has a really crisp sound, like they ripped the sound from Morbid Angel's Domination.

January 27th 2013

It has some nice old-school vibes.

January 27th 2013

summary reads a little weird but review is solid Pos'd

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

January 27th 2013

jus heard track two and music is solid but vox were too high in the mix and besides that were kind of annoying

January 27th 2013

This isn't my best work, no. Thanks for the pos though, captain.