Trapt
Reborn

good

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
January 27th, 2013 | 66 replies | 8,800 views

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This one-hit wonder one-trick pony has picked up some new skills, but not enough to interest anyone aside from longtime fans.

Among the dozens of post-grunge/alternative metal groups to recently be dropped by their major record labels, Californian nu metal act Trapt haven’t really taken this opportunity to become a “reborn” band as the title of their fifth studio album implies. While their modern rock peers such as Hoobastank and Digital Summer have used this newly gained independence to revise their music, Reborn sees Trapt still playing it safe with their trusty old drop C standard tuning, and lyrical topics about threatening retaliation if harassment continues: “I’m gonna hit you until it hurts/I’m gonna give you everything that you deserve” on the muscle-flexing album opener “Bring It”.

Trapt don’t really do much other than what they have been doing for a decade now (which was the same music countless other groups were making at the time anyway), but in every track on Reborn are minor instances of experimentation with electronic sonics. Trapt have always had little moments of genuine creativity with their wrung dry genre of choice, the most notable being the five minute ambient outerlude to "New Beginning”, the final track on their self titled debut album, and Reborn does possess a much more atmospheric finish than any previous Trapt album because of the inclusion of lavishing synths and production that has a ethereal tinge to it that resonates with every guitar chord that is struck. Though while these small new additions are noticeable and clearly present, they’re just that, small new additions and nothing greater. Over all, Trapt is still predominately a nu metal band, and one that feels aged and dated at that. The electronic elements are there, but it doesn’t help that they are only most noticeable when they are incorporated in the breaks in between the trudging Korn-inspired riffs, which here don't have anywhere near as much force as they did when Korn first brought them to the table nearly 20 years ago.

Ten years and five studio albums into their career, Trapt are still ironically somewhat trapped in the past themselves. Still rocking out like it's 2002, having made a trend of a sound too large of a part that makes up their core. But even if they’re nowhere near as “reborn” as they claim to be in the title, Reborn does have some surprising and refreshing traits, albeit tiny ones for their first independent major album. Although the minor changes will most likely not be enough to interest those who have not already been converted.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
good
SensationReview (4)
Trapt is "Reborn" and the result is an excellent effort that might just bring in a few new fans....

January 27th 2013

My shortest review that wasn't meant to be a soundoff in the first place in awhile. Let me know what you guys think.

Digging: Cathedrals - Cathedrals EP

January 27th 2013

This is short for you? cuz damn

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers

YoYoMancuso

shit band, non-shit review

sixdegrees
January 27th 2013

lol this band is still around

Digging: Foreground Eclipse - Stories That Last Through The Sleepless Nights

fromtheinside
January 27th 2013

i didn't know what to do when i heard bring it.
so i just kept going.
god awful album. i can't understand why you put yourself through it

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

MuhNamesTyler

fiiiiive studio albums

January 27th 2013

"While their modern rock peers Hoobastank and Digital Summer has"

-Have

"Trapt has always had"

-have always had

"Trapt has always had little moments of genuine creativity with their wrung dry genre of choice, the most notable being the five minute ambient outerlude to, “New Beginning”, the final track on their self titled debut album, and Reborn does possess a much more atmospheric finish than any previous Trapt album because of the inclusion of lavishing synths and production that has a ethereal tinge to it that resonates with every guitar chord that is struck."

-One sentence.

"having made a trend of a sound too large of a part that makes up their core."

-This reads funny. Is it just me?

January 27th 2013

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes I made. Fixed the errors, cheers dude.

January 27th 2013

You're welcomed. Don't trust me a lot tho, english is my second language.

Your review seems a little bit harsh for a 3.0. Andd how Korn-ish are they?

January 27th 2013

Didn't mean to sound too harsh. When I described the cons this album has I meant to describe how I felt they made the album mediocre and not necessarily bad. And they aren't THAT much like Korn. They're much more like any other radio rock band that takes after Korn. Expect angsty melodic vocals and nu metal riffs.

January 27th 2013

Nah, not gonna' bother, unless I have nothing else to do, and the curiosity push me to.

January 27th 2013

Yeah, if the genre isn't your thing, this won't do much to change your mind. There are some new things here, but it's mostly just what you've heard before.

lyzakthellama
January 27th 2013

Man, I haven't thought about this band in forever.

greg84
January 27th 2013

This surprisingly doesn't totally suck. It has some decent hooks. Good review.

Digging: Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars

ChopSuey

no its bad

bach
January 27th 2013

These guys are still together?

Digging: Tim Hecker - Haunt Me, Haunt Me Do It Again

ChopSuey

yup

TheSupernatural
January 27th 2013

Just like nearly every other post-grunge album of the last couple of years?

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

CasinoColumbus
January 27th 2013

Aaah, I remember those days that I thought this band was super cool. How foolish of me.

mindleviticus