Belle and Sebastian
The Life Pursuit

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
March 1st, 2006 | 32 replies | 10,465 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Belle and Sebastian return after their 2003 release of Dear Catastrophe Waitress. After two somewhat average releases in the earlier half of the decade, Dear Catastrophe Waitress was Belle & Sebastian's proof that they still had it in them to make a great record. Highly anticipated, The Life Pursuit is the first Belle & Sebastian record since their 2003 return to form.

Belle and Sebastian
Bobby - Bass
Chris - Keyboards
Mick - Trumpet
Richard - Drums
Sarah - Violin, Vocals
Stevie - Guitar
Stuart - Vocals, Guitar

Since their comeback in 2003, things have been good for Belle & Sebastian. Dear Catastrophe Waitress, while it was a comeback for the band, it was also a major change in sound. Since The Life Pursuit is the first album since the band's comeback, fans, naturally had a lot of questions prior to the record's release. Would it be a continuation of the sounds of Dear Catastrophe Waitress? Would it be more like their masterpiece, If You're Feeling Sinister? Or would it be a completely different sound altogether? Interestingly enough, the answer is that it's a combination of all three.

From the first few seconds of the album, it's obvious that The Life Pursuit is not a carbon copy of the band's earlier work. The band use an increased amount of synthesisers and electronics and that hint of 60s pop that has always lurked in their music is now in full swing. The sounds of Dear Catastrophe Waitress are an obvious and prevalent aspect of The Life Pursuit. However, the album also has some strong ties to the earlier period of Tigermilk If You're Feeling Sinister. There are a few soft folk songs that wouldn't be out of place on either of the band's first two records ("Dress Up In You", "Mornington Crescent"), as well as the occasional horn solo. In addition to this, a number of new influences have creeped into the band's music. The aforementioned electronic sounds make appearances throughout along with jazzy instrumentation, a blues rock song ("The Blues are Still Blue") and even the occasional glam rock guitar solo ("Sukie In The Graveyard"). In regular Belle & Sebastian fashion, Stuart Murdoch's lyrics are witty, articulate and wordy, creating for some enjoyable songs. The Life Pursuit also contains a large amount of tracks with surprisingly few duds.

The sound of The Life Pursuit doesn't come off as a radical departure for Belle & Sebastian, or even a new direction. Instead, the album feels like more of a logical continuation of the direction of Dear Catastrophe Waitress. At the same time, The Life Pursuit throws in a decent enough measure of the band's earlier sound and a good mix of new ideas. In the end, The Life Pursuit is Belle & Sebastian's proof that a band can change and go in new directions without abandoning what made them so great in the first place. For fans of If You're Feeling Sinister and Tigermilk, Belle & Sebastian's new record may not be exactly what they hoped for. However, if given and chance time to grow on the listener, The Life Pursuit will take it's place among Belle & Sebastian's best records.

Pros
- Fun, smart, witty and articulate
- Enjoyable new ideas
- Replay value

Cons
- Fans of earlier material may find it difficult
- A couple of weaker tracks

Reccomended Tracks

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
Matthew D. French (4.5)
Belle And Sebastian create their magnum opus, which should be lauded by every music critic partial t...

Clumpy (4)
“Sunshine, we all see the same sky . . ."...

March 1st 2006

This is the first review I've written in quite a while, so I apologise if it's not up to scratch.

Zebra
March 1st 2006

I agree with the rating. This is a great album with some excellent tracks. It might not match up to 'Arab Strap' or 'Catastrophe Waitress' but it's still a great album.

Scott Herren
March 1st 2006

I can't get into this album yet. I think Jom is confusing Iron and Wine with Belle and Sebastian.

Sounds like it.

I hated this album at first. I like it now, but the songs still aren't as good as the early stuff.

Neoteric
March 1st 2006

Hey mr. br3ad. Haven't seen you around these parts in ages.

March 2nd 2006

Did you miss me? I'm back anyway.

Iai
March 2nd 2006

I only just heard B&S for the first time this week, and....I don't know. Underwhelmed would be the word. But I have this and I'll give it a go anyway.

March 3rd 2006

I think most would agree that this isn't their best.

Zmev

March 3rd 2006

Meh, I disagree. Comparisons are inevitable.

Iai
March 9th 2006

Just heard this, and it destroys The Boy With The Arab Strap, which is the album I was talking about when I said they were underwhelming. It sits at #2 of the year so far for me.

March 10th 2006

And number 1?

Zmev
March 19th 2006

Meh, I disagree. Comparisons are inevitable.

MehThis Message Edited On 03.19.06

AbysmalFace
April 4th 2006

It's around #5 of the year for me.
I think Stevie sings on one or two of these songs?...

sadisticmonkey
April 12th 2006

Well, since this was the first belle and sebastian cd i ever listened to, i got to listen to it without knowing their past...

that aside, this cd gets a five!

Highlights
Sukie In The Graveyard
We Are The Sleepyheads
Dress Up In You
For The Price Of A Cup Of Tea

Sep
May 7th 2006

Nice review. I never really listen to this album the whole way through but individually most of the tracks are good. Especially Dress Up In You.

Med57
May 7th 2006

This is kind of an average Belle & Sebastien record in my opinion. Probably better than some of their recent releases, but it's not something that I'm going to replay loads.

FA
May 30th 2006

I actually enjoyed this album, it's fantastic. Nicely written review.

MrKite
April 27th 2007

I've heard a few tracks by these guys and was left unimpressed.

IsItLuck?
April 27th 2007

booooooooo. I was going to comment saying this is an underrated album but you stole my thunder.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again