Parquet Courts
Light Up Gold

by FlattedThird USER (10 Reviews)
January 24th, 2013 | 26 replies

Review Summary: While many people couldn't get over The Men's recent leanings toward The Replacements, Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold does Open Your Heart a favor in distancing it from those critiques, further carving out the niche this music is beginning to inhabit.

Equal parts Pavement, Minutemen, and Replacements, Parquet Courts establish their own slacker, protester, Americana sound out of the stated influences. The kind of music your mom tells you to turn off, Light Up Gold is a sturdy gem. Their lack of effort perfectly sets out the sometimes - when the band feels like giving a *** - starkly abrasive lyrics; lines like "Socrates died in the ***ing gutter" really pop in the quasi lo-fi mix. The cover of this record vaguely tells the story of the formerly Texan band relocating to New York City to try their hand at swimming in a bigger pond: an annotated picture of a ritual often associated with Texas -- that shouldn't seem pejorative toward the band, or simliar bands, especially when they're this good at relocating, advancing their sound.

Balancing the slacker mentality with some of the aggressive political songs is what makes Light Up Gold such a treat. It doesn't dwell on anything too serious for long. The Middle America anti-fight song "Careers in Combat" is followed by the two part cool down tracks titled after the record - it's a rest, letting the band and listener let what previously transpired sink in. So, as hard as anyone tries to draw conclusions about the band sounding too much like one of its aforementioned influences, the album's track listing and composure defends its originality in spades. "N Dakota" and "Stoned and Starving", the album's two best tracks, anchor the middle of the album perfectly; so rarely do people look forward to the meat of an album, often focusing on the openers and closers too closely. The latter track is a perfect example of how the slacker and Americana influences Parquet Courts cite blend so well together, with ease. "No Ideas" feels so lazy that it sounds like the band forgot to tune their guitars, nearly achieving Sonic Youth guitar harmonies.

While many people couldn't get over The Men's recent leanings toward The Replacements, Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold does Open Your Heart a favor in distancing it from those critics, further carving out the niche this brand of music is beginning to inhabit. I can't really see this being an Album of the Year contender, but it could easily fall into the middle of my list. And while it is somewhat original, none of the tracks are going to grab you instantly - it might take a few listens to full appreciate this album. This record is one of the few moving people away from the term "Indie" when describing music, an inappropriately coined genre, though it is inching it further into the "Rock" label, a term that feels stale from too much exposure.

Comadre ComadreCalifornia X California X
Trash Talk 119Titus Andronicus Local Business
Miguel Kaleidoscope DreamGrizzly Bear Shields
derho (4)
I'm not going to talk about their influences...

January 23rd 2013

this came out last summer

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

Blackbelt54
January 23rd 2013

This needed a review. These guys have been getting big lately, great album

halloway
April 2nd 2013

Gotta get to this yet.

April 28th 2013

This is phenomenal stuff. A modern, Pavement, Sebadoh, GBV, 90s alt thing which is actually great.

Digging: The dB's - Stands For Decibels

May 16th 2013

love how no one ever informed me of this band. spotify says this has a lot of listens though.

Digging: Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg

Blackbelt54
May 16th 2013

yeah i feel like these guys get more coverage on other sites than they do here

hmm, I'm honestly not digging this all that much. :/

May 16th 2013

Ten years from now people will be talking about this as a classic guaranteed.

May 16th 2013

dig the later tracks more than the earlier ones by a lot. but I can't see this being called a classic at all.

clercqie

Great stuff.

December 20th 2013

This deserves more love for its greatness. 48 votes, wake up people!!!

tape's better

AliW1993
December 20th 2013

Every time I listen to this I can't help but think it's strangely sequenced. For me, Stoned and Starving has penultimate track written all over it.

tapes tracklist perf

December 20th 2013

I see where your coming from Ali but that adds to its pavement like charms for me.
Tapes Hep?

ya tha tape duh

December 20th 2013

did u just arbitchtrarily give this a 4.5 w/o ever checkin their page on sputnik?????

December 20th 2013

Yeah x-mas pressie from the wife last year. I rate the music I like, weird innit!

December 20th 2013

evasion/deliberate misunderstanding of the matter at hand

man ur a pro user

December 20th 2013

I'll use whatever your on mate????