Vales
Clarity

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2013 | 60 replies

Review Summary: "song of the year" on the "EP of the year"? no way.

Way...

The reason Defeater’s Travels is the greatest testament hardcore will ever give, without a shadow of a doubt, is because of its instantaneous authority. One day the world is without this album, the next day it explodes the legendry of its makers with a resounding so. A soul-sellingly worthy follow up in Lost Ground and a template was innocently established in how hardcore would come to form in the following years. La Dispute and Touché Amore both found substantial footing from a collaborative effort that was met with unanimous praise and cemented firmly their growths in later follow-ups. It’s been like this for a while now. Bands are sneaking in stealing breaths of spotlight and then fading before their wades completely fade. Departures, The Men, Pianos Become the Teeth, Trophywife, etc. All have been here, did their thing; now most have settled nicely back down beneath the light no longer trying to change lives as opposed to just having one to live. This is by no means a bad thing. Hardcore now has its most organic movement in comparison to its heavier cousins amongst the genre scale. This stage is of a happy house arrangement setting the table for anyone to release jaw dropping albums that feel so in tune with our emotions because they’re all essentially riding the same wave.

It’s Vales turn.

There was a glimmer of hope in my eye when it snuck a peak at the cover of Vale’s debut EP Clarity while it was downloading, that winter there sure reminds me Kerouac,that glimmer then sprung a smirk. Mostly I can be thankful that Clarity is just good. One could find reasons to argue against Vales’ case, their methods do have a familiar flavor, but one never argues with a good meal and they deliver the goods on all fronts. There is a true sense of despair that lathers over this debut constantly tugging to lower defenses for the listen. There’s a determination vibe ringing from the voice of Clarity setting the scene of one screaming at another as they walk away, the others efforts worthless, but that hope never draining. The hope in life’s most gut wrenching moments is what’s been captured here. A soundtrack if you would, but one you would never want played during those moments because of the authenticity of the music.

One look at “Stallions”, the track of the year, and it’s easy to see why Vales sound comfortable in dealing with such gloomy elements. Their use of punks structure is much akin to More Than Life the way they bounce from spaz driven riff to elaborate crunches signifies the control of punch that’s given to the listener. When executed this flawlessly were presented with this bite that gives some depth to its wounds. These quick flurries, these tantrums, which Vales throw with nonchalant adherences to how their emotions should be channeled are the raw nature that suits this environment of hardcore so well. Their last minute of airtime is spent begging to be brought to the ground while noise disrupts the background all before elevating to louder noises that disrupt the foreground and what we’re left with is an inconclusive statement to Vales current resume.

This band has got a fire that feels as though its ashes will leave stories to tell. Travels snuck in under the radar, lit a fire to the screen, and they’ve been searching for a similar spark ever since. This is what makes releases like these so special because their aid to the overall landscape of hardcore is more precedent then people often consider. Everyone is out trying to match an emotion that had never been cut as so real and it’s giving us, the consumer, all the benefits with efforts like Vales’ Clarity. The greater ambiguity this band gives this release and their future will be telling of how resounding a statement like this will be. Not needing to be able to discern a considerable amount of the tracks lyrics was a painless cause and in fact spoke to the releases ability to breathe so similarly to our reality. So yeah, don’t look now, but you just might miss the next best thing.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
TheJackal (4.5)
Behind aggression and despair, somewhere lays true beauty…...

Wilt And Rise

19166 Comments

in which i name every band i can in 60 seconds or less oh and make absurd claims like Travels is the
greatest hardcore album of all time.

psshhh the nerve of this guy

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

XingKing
January 23rd 2013

EP of the year right here

this man knows his shit

Captain North
January 23rd 2013

Good to see you reviewing again. I remember when I was first getting into hardcore your reviewing guided me a long a bit.

I have to say, you're trying a bit too hard to be verbose. But instead of the sentences becoming a higher thing or whatever, it just makes them clunky.

Still, pretty good review overall. But I wouldn't say a lot of those bands have faded away. Defeater, la dispute and touché amore are all far more popular now than when the releases you mentioned came out.

Unfortunately pianos has faded a bit, which sucks cos lack long after was the better album

19166 Comments

yeah but defeater's last thing was a dud and la dispute will probably follow suit. i'm saying that their reign of releasing albums as definitive as they did and like this one here is gone.

Captain North
January 23rd 2013

I found Empty Days to be musically their most forward thinking album...but it is the met easily forgettable as well, I dunno why. And I did think Wildlife was way overrated but I have a feeling La Dispute will only get bigger.

RosaParks
January 23rd 2013

i remember this being awesome. review is great as well. posd

January 23rd 2013

good

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

XingKing
January 23rd 2013

All of those wave bands popped up out of no where, released one great album and then just descended into mediocrity.

TooLateToGoBack

But Travels IS the best hardcore record ever

well, maybe, nah.

intotheshit
January 23rd 2013

"The reason Defeated's Travels is the greatest testament hardcore will give"

Are you fucking high?

intotheshit

This reads like the review of someone who hasn't heard any hardcore pre-2008

Aids

yeah

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

Ponton
January 23rd 2013

take what you can fromtheinside and throw it all awayyyyyyyyyyyy

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

19166 Comments

jared singing hardcore's other notorious classic

Brostep

linkin park hardcore m/

Good review, have a pos. Hardcore's never really been my thing (just can't get into screamed vocals) but I take your word that this is good.

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

Hep Kat

this review

words like abomination will be tossed around

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

Killerhit

Epic EP

Hep Kat
January 23rd 2013

i am become violently ill

GnarlyShillelagh
January 23rd 2013

yeah first paragraph is retarded as fuck but good ep, well written review so pos