Hatebreed
The Divinity of Purpose

by Trey Spencer STAFF
January 22nd, 2013 | 89 replies

Release Date: 01/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's Hatebreed doing what they do best. Take it or leave it.

Supremacy was the culmination of Hatebreed’s effort to create the perfect blend of metal and hardcore. The album was unrelenting yet catchy and powered through its short runtime with nary a bit of filler in sight. With that success under their belt, the band moved towards a more metal-dominated sound on their self-titled release; and who could blame them? It wasn’t like there was much chance of them surpassing Supremacy, and it was probably time for a change anyway. Apparently, their self-titled release was enough to get rid of the metal itch, because The Divinity of Purpose finds the band right back in the thick of their metalized hardcore sound with just a bit more punk influence than previous releases.

Right off the bat, it should be noted that this release isn’t going to knock Supremacy from its pedestal, but it’s still pretty damn good. It’s the Hatebreed-patented blend of metal and hardcore that they’ve been doing from the beginning without much deviation, and fans should love it. It has the high-energy tempos, pounding drums, metalized hardcore riffs and Jamey Jasta’s throaty shout – oh yeah, it has breakdowns too… did I mention breakdowns? It also has the unrelenting intensity that was slightly lacking from their self-titled album. What else should a Hatebreed album really have – this isn’t supposed to be music for rocket scientists, it’s supposed to get you pumped and ready to lift heavy things and put them back down again.

For those that loved the increased metal influence of their previous album, there is still some of that left, too. There’s the melodic lead during the chorus of ‘Honor Never Dies’, the ripping solo in ‘The Language’ and a pretty cool bass part on ‘Before the Fight Ends You’. ‘Dead Man Breathing’ even brings back a little of that South of Heaven influence that was infused throughout the self-titled album. Of course, the excessively positive/self-empowering lyrics do lead to a few cringe-worthy moments (as they always have) such as during the call and response of, “Who’s got more heart than you – No One”. Anyone that is into the band has either learned to love those lyrics or ignore them, so it’s not really a deal breaker. Overall, The Divinity of Purpose is Hatebreed by the numbers, and most fans probably wouldn’t have it any other way.

Who really expects Hatebreed to stray too far away from the formula they’ve used since their debut when it continues to work so well? The Divinity of Purpose isn’t going to surprise fans or detractors with its metal/hardcore blend, and it’s not going to impress those that irrationally expect every release to be a mind-blowing exercise in progression and experimentation. On the other hand, it should impress long-time fans and satiate their desire for no-frills, in your face music. In fact, with less emphasis on metal, Hatebreed have even managed to up the intensity levels again; and what is Hatebreed without intensity?

Sick of It All The Last Act of DefianceMeshuggah I (Special Edition)
Cannibal Corpse A Skeletal DomainRabbit Junk Pop That Pretty Thirty
Anathema Distant SatellitesFlotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014
3.3
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Chip away at a mountain; they’re there to stand the tests of time. Unchanging and resolute in thei...

ColdGobra (5)
Confessions of “a son, a brother, a father and a friend”....

Pre-Order Here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id577193867

Video: http://hatebreed.com/home/archives/744

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

theacademy

m/

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

January 22nd 2013

I'm gonna listen to this...

cvlts

sure why not

EyeForAnEye
January 22nd 2013

Bro band is only really good to run and workout to.

From the review:

MO
January 22nd 2013

these guys are a chore to listen to

January 22nd 2013

I like those albums too, but I've always preferred the later albums more.

January 22nd 2013

the rise of brutality was so sweet.

BillTheButcher
January 22nd 2013

s/t didnt really do it for me... after reading this review, i'm pumped for some new breed!

January 22nd 2013

If you didn't like the self-titled, but do like Hatebreed then you'll definitely be happy with this release.

BillTheButcher
January 22nd 2013

oh yeah definitely. s/t was good just not up to the caliber of their earlier efforts. is this out yet or did u get an early copy?

NocteDominum
January 22nd 2013

Hes special and stafflike. Good write ip man ill be sue to get this when it drops.

GiaNXGX

hatebreed's music is like:

'do you even lift bro, because if you don't i have the self-steem of an african horse and will knock you out with a 1000kg punch, plus, rape your mother'

in other words skeletor insulting deviant. rlly consistent shit though, gotta respect em for bringing the mosh i guess.

Hep Kat
January 22nd 2013

this isn't bad, and they always put on a good live show so it's w/e

BassDemon333
January 22nd 2013

I'd go as far to say this is their best album so far, I'm really enjoying it and its much better than their self titled and has a lot of great riffs

Digging: Slipknot - .5: The Gray Chapter

January 22nd 2013

is this out yet or did u get an early copy?
I got the promo. This comes out next Tuesday.

Really? I like Supremacy because it's like the Suffer of the Hatebreed discography... just quick, fast-paced, no-frills music. Their sound reduced to the basics.

wadds
January 22nd 2013

i like it. back to their best imo

BassDemon333
January 22nd 2013

Well Willie, Supremacy was always my favorite by these guys and I doubted they could ever top it especially after hearing the self-titled to be honest but this comes awfully close to rivaling that album for me. I'm really liking it so far.