Buckcherry
Fifteen

by Zeppelin14 USER (10 Reviews)
January 21st, 2013 | 4 replies | 515 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Comin to you honey on the east side running and I ain't got time to waste."

Buckcherry are a band that have had many ups and downs. After only two albums, they basically fell out. Their record label dropped them, their second release suffered many critical responses. Everything was going wrong for Josh Todd and the boys. Until 2005 when heavily tattooed singer Todd and guitarist Keith Nelson reformed with three new members, and released their biggest album to date. 15 is a combination of old school Guns 'N Roses, mixed with some Aerosmith with a modern-day vibe that makes it hard to dislike. Josh Todd's raspy voice reminds us of Axl Rose, and while it may not always be the easiest to listen to, it gets the job done and adds to the dirty and pure rock 'n roll feel of this group.

"I'll tell you how the story's told!" Todd screams as "So Far" blasts through the speakers. Instantly you can hear the power and intensity of a new band, and the confidence of a singer that has a little more to prove than singing about cocaine with lyrics such as "I didn't do it for money, I did it all for free/I did it all to build a ***ing hole inside of me!" Blues based, swaggering guitar riffs are prominent on tracks like "So Far" and "Onset", and Keith Nelson solos in the likes of Angus Young and Joe Perry. "Crazy B****" is a song most people (or fans of rock, at least) are probably familiar with. From its humorous and singable chrous, to its strong guitar playing, this one is a fan favorite and is easily a highlight on the album.

The band also provide their fair share of ballads on this record, the most notable being "Sorry". It's a very simple, catchy love tune ("I'm sorry I'm bad, I'm sorry I'm blue, I'm sorry about all the things I said to you") but does enough to satisfy the common fan. In fact, people will sadly even say they are fans of Buckcherry for only liking this one song. The two slow songs that precede this hit are "Everything" and "Carousel". While both boast a can't-help-but-sing-along-to refrain, the latter seems inspired by old country songs, especially noticeable in its opening guitar lick.

"Brooklyn" is far from a ballad, rather it uses acoustic slide playing to get its point across. Todd sings about being naked with a lady who crashed his car in a black out and maxing out his credit card in one of America's favorite cities. More heaviness is recognized in "Out of Line" and the great album closer "Broken Glass" which, again, brags superb shredding from Nelson. Most of these songs really wouldn't be out of place on Appetite for Destruction, which can be a good thing: if you miss the old sound of GNR, here's your replacement. This is far from a masterpiece, as really all it has going for it is its sing-a-long choruses, good guitarwork, and sleazy riffs, but it's a step in the right direction and quite simply a great addition to any fan of straight-forward, balls out hard rock.

KEY TRACKS:
-So Far
-Next 2 You
-Sorry (for its popularity)
-Crazy B****