Spitfire
Cult Fiction

by TenSecondsToThink USER (2 Reviews)
January 21st, 2013 | 30 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An unknown Metalcore gem.

Spitfire on Cult Fiction is:

Jon Spencer - Vocals (ex-Scarlet)
Matt Beck - Guitar (ex-Mae)
Dan Tulloh - Guitar (ex-Scarlet
Chris Raines - Drums (ex-Norma Jean)

The amazing State Faults posted something about this band on Facebook and checking them out turned out to be the greatest gift for me.
Since all members played in rather famous and successful bands before, I guess you could call Spitfire a supergroup. However, while those formations mostly fail to create something as great as it could be, this album seems to be the exception that proves the rule. They play Metalcore with influences drawn from every side of the gerne and execute it with perfection and individualism.

5 of the 15 tracks are instrumental songs, spread throughout the whole album, which provides enjoyable variety, even though it wouldn't be necessary since they jump across the whole Metalcore world and not a single song sounds similar to the one before. There must be so much work put into this album that it will make you cry because it's so unknown. The overall atmosphere is rather dark, comparable for me to for example As The Sun Sets' albums, though there are many fun and more open moments that don't make this a hard listen. But for the most part, it's really a huge mind***.

The opener "Arrhythma Drift" is the song I recommend you to check out to get a little impression of how they change their style even in a song itself. The song starts out fast, leading into a catchy chorus that might remind you of QOTSA (also proving the variety of the vocalist), goes on into a slower instrumental section and ends with a Djent-esque riff. And if you then hear the beginning of the next song, you'll agree with me on how individual every song is.

Track 3, "Apnea 1", is the first instrumental song that is probably comparable to Botch's "Swimming The Channel Vs. Driving", while the structure is similar to Isis. It starts out with a guitar and bass line that turns out to barely change in the course of it. The drums kick in at around 1:10, slowly increasing the heaviness until they fade away again close to the end, leaving the guitar and bass alone again. It's hard to describe what I feel during the song. I think of someone living in a place he hates, finally deciding to leave and then setting out on a journey, uncertain of the future. I guess that sounds retarted but I'm not sure how to put it better. The song is obviously amazing either way.

If you like any Metalcore band, especially the 4 I recommended, you must check this out. It's a jewel you don't want to miss. As far as I know, this band is currently on hiatus or something but maybe if this album and their other work get more attention they might decide to write some music again and that'd be a blessing for everyone.

January 21st 2013

It's my first review and it sucks but this album deserved one. Feel free to give me some advice or hate on me. Cheers.

January 21st 2013

And god damn, it only recommened one of the four bands i put in. The other three were Daughters, The
DEP and The Chariot.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/spitfirenoise

ThisIsARaid
January 21st 2013

It's always fun time when people reviews albums that doesn't have one.
Decent first review, dude. I'm not the best feedbacker so you will have to consult with someone else if you want more serious thoughts.
I have no serious thoughts.
dang...

MrElmo

1955 Comments

hmm review reads like a 4.5, a five seems like too much, also don't discredit yourself towards the end of your review, lazy atm so that's all ill say. Anyhow this sounds promising so I'll go check

January 21st 2013

Well to be honest, for me it is only a 4.5 but I thought a 5 would get it more attention. And it is
definitely good enough to be a 5, just not personally for me. I doubt I'd every give this kind of
music a 5.
Thanks for the kind words.

witchxrapist
January 21st 2013

I always thought this band was really generic and boring. I remember seeing them open for Poison The Well in like 2006 and walking outside for a cigarette.

January 21st 2013

I haven't listened to the previous albums but this was released in 2008. Please listen to Arrhythmia
Drift on YouTube, you will change your mind.

Emim
January 21st 2013

Their first album is much better than this. Decent review, man, glad to see these guys get some attention.

January 21st 2013

Obviously I didn't invent the phrase Metalcore gem but I really didn't see the reviewer of the first album call it that as well. Doubt anyone gives a shit but I always hate seeing too obvious influences. :D
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out sometime soon.

wacknizzle

Pretty sweet album.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

MrElmo

1955 Comments

Listened to the first track, good shit

wacknizzle
January 21st 2013

Yeah Arrhythmia Drift is such a kickass song.

January 21st 2013

Yeah, the outro blew me away the first time I heard it.

GnarlyShillelagh
January 21st 2013

is there an alternate artwork 'cause that one is disgusting and makes me not want to get this

January 21st 2013

I can draw you one if you want.
The album is not as disgusting as the cover by the way.

fromtheinside
January 21st 2013

lol i remember this band.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

Mewcopa0
January 21st 2013

I always liked these guys, but I can't say this album blew my mind. Still preetty good though.

MMX
January 22nd 2013

Album brings the ruckus, pos

GhettoHmbrglr
January 22nd 2013

haha nice i also decided to get this after state faults posted chemo therapist

MichaelSnoxall
January 22nd 2013

Yeah, good band, decent first review.