Inhale Exhale
Movement

by Cultclassical USER (51 Reviews)
January 20th, 2013 | 13 replies

Review Summary: We're past the point of adding another guitarist here....

Perennial medio-core band Inhale Exhale is pretty much known for their stubborn refusal to experiment, dabble, or in any way progress “their” sound. Characterized by thick, beefy guitar production, negligible bass and drumming all backing up some pretty decent vocals, their formula is as well-known as the formula for water. Does Movement finally have the band try something, anything different this time around? The short answer is no, and while they fortunately haven’t regressed in any one area, this re-re-release unfortunately creates a powerful illusion they have.

Movement is the worst kind of guitarist’s album, in that it swallows up much of the record (except the off putting kick-pedal drum) with its chunky, heavily produced sound. The sole guitarist John LaRussa is one of two redeeming qualities about this record (and band at this point). He has a knack for writing riffs but along with those riffs are just more riffs slapped together with seemingly little thought. Normally a song will have a riff for the verses, a riff for the chorus, and a riff for the eventual breakdown with nothing of substance for transitions. The guitar writing itself is shallow and serves as little more than giving a faux-heavy tone to the album with no meaning behind it. Going along with the tired music writing are some more clichés that at this point leave the listener scratching their aching heads. Things like the anthem portions in “Party Drama”, the extremely high gain used on the guitars at too many points, to the superfluous use of breakdowns, Movement is not unlike the coelacanth, a living fossil, rife with things other bands of their ilk and age have stopped doing years ago.

The other redeeming feature of the album is the vocalist Ryland Raus who has all the raw talent one would need to be considered great but has proved time and again with his reused vocal melodies and all-around average song and lyric writing that he’ll never be considered more than pretty good. He and the band do exhibit flashes of interesting writing on more than one occasion, particularly on the intros to “Low” and the album closer “Under Sheet Stained in Blood” but soon enough LaRussa goes back to chewing up the low end of his fret board and Raus will sing and scream with the same range and variety as the previous song and that is the most frustrating thing of all.

Despite this, I find it hard pressed to call this record bad. It’s dreadfully average. Nothing veterans of the genre haven’t heard done and done better ten times over. Newcomers to the band or metalcore in general can find a lot to like about Movement. It’s a fast, aggressive and some would find fun record. This is all it is however and unless they learn some new tricks, their stagnation will just turn into decay.

Follow The White Rabbit EndorphiniaThrice The Alchemy Index Vol. II: Water
He Is Legend Heavy FruitWeird Al Yankovic Mandatory Fun
Kashiwa Daisuke/Koby Israelite SplitCasey Crescenzo Amour and Attrition

January 20th 2013

First metalcore review. Looks like my guilty pleasure, Bury Me Alive, will stay just that.

DotEight
January 20th 2013

Never could get into this band. But good review.

19926 Comments

Yeah man good review all I've heard is bury me alive

Digging: Transit - Joyride

January 20th 2013

thank you both. i think i liked bury me alive cuz I found it right before i was going into basic training and I was like GRRR this is gonna suck i need angry sounding music!!!

I dont like writing negative reviews though it makes me feel bad lol

19926 Comments

Yeah I've written like 2 negative reviews I think they're harder to write

danielito19
January 20th 2013

honestly i have a harder time with positive reviews because there's only so many ways to say something is cool before you end up rambling and repeating.

Digging: -

January 20th 2013

very good point, i think that's why i tend to review more unique stuff

skoopy48
January 20th 2013

Thought this was pretty good. Bands never been amazing but not the worst of the genre

SgtPepper
January 20th 2013

Good review, Calc. POS'd. I never really listened to this band myself either, they just never interested me enough.

January 20th 2013

thanks paper, and yeah don't waste your time

Pndi
February 24th 2013

I only really liked Bury Me Alive which was a decent above average metalcore album, with some interesting riffs. This one suffers from horrible production, bland songwriting, generic clean vocals...

Shuyin
August 1st 2013

kinda like the first song tbh

Digging: Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST Vol 1

dixoncocks
January 29th 2014

This album isn't groundbreaking by any means but definitely better than a 2.4 average.