Eminem
Recovery

2.0
poor

by GeorgeNelson USER (21 Reviews)
January 20th, 2013 | 13 replies | 1,570 views

Review Summary: While there are glimmers of Marshall's talent, this album sounds unnatural and forced.

If The Slim Shady LP Eminem could hear this, he’d be disappointed. This album is not maturity; it is a strained blandness. Having said this, welcome scraps of rebellious-yet-alluring Slim surface occasionally. What soon becomes apparent though, is that either Recovery isn’t as personal as it should be, or Eminem isn’t as interesting as he should be.

The album is not a failure; an excitingly skilled MC is still semi-present. He creates impressive layered rhyme schemes and toys with words audaciously. Eminem is a craftsman and his lyrical experiments are enjoyable as he cracks some pretty funny puns. On Here We Go he rhymes:

“Girl, you got a hot butt like a lit cigarette, chick-chicka-rette”

What’s more, he’s kept his musical ear – the Eminem ability to write ultra-catchy hooks. The bridge on Space Bound is oddly commanding and emotive considering the guy can’t sing! He’s distinct and powerful here, which in a weird way parallels Cleaning Out My Closet. And, there are broader highlights: Ridaz strikes a threatening bounce; it’s not perfect, but an entrancing fusion of Dre’s production and Em’s attitude that shows capability.

But, when viewed as an overall project it is painfully forced. Where great music was once effortless for Slim, this sounds unnatural. It’s not that the character of the album is artificial – Em has redeveloped his attitude. It’s that the charisma that lifted The Marshall Mathers LP is gone, and its replacement is inferior: the album becomes draining where it should be revitalizing.

Em’s triumphant return is driven by his mighty vocals. I’m kidding, but this is what he’s going for. He screams to get his point across; this is not confident maturity, but a frantic struggle. The content is uninteresting – with so much having happening to Slim since Encore: battles with drugs, the death of Proof, I’d expect a harrowing recount, mature through its expansiveness. Instead, we get Seduction: tedious braggadocio, and Love The Way You Lie, which sounds entirely impersonal. Actually, impersonality stretches across the record, with Eminem’s beats holding no edge. While the obscene and mischievous content of The Slim Shady LP was fictitious, the record was more genuine as his awkward and skittish personality was reflected in the production. Here, Eminem seems to have forgotten what makes a record convincing. He holds back on his lyrical themes, but the overall sound of the album doesn’t work, either.

Recovery doesn’t hit hard. There are moments of hope that indicate Eminem’s talent is still there, but through restrained lyrical content and lack-luster beats there is no spark. As a redefining album, comparison must be drawn between this and Slim’s previous work – I miss the old Eminem.

Arctic Monkeys AMDe La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising

yea this isnt good

Digging: DJ Spooky - Songs Of A Dead Dreamer

Gwyn.
January 20th 2013

"Eminem sounds unnatural and forced here. While there are glimmers of Marshall's talent, this does not make my pee-pee go doing-doing-doing."

Neg

No wait pos

No wait no, that's a neg, definitely

No wait, pos'd...

Fuck

Digging: Buzzov-en - Sore

January 20th 2013

You showed two songs where it isn't mature and you say the whole album isn't mature? Great reasoning!

someguest

20285 Comments

How many examples does he need?

January 20th 2013

I'm sorry to massive eminem fans! I love his older stuff just couldn't get on board with this no matter how much i wanted
to. I was torn between a 2 and 2.5 though, maybe i'll change it. But yeah, 2 examples is plenty to prove my point, and
what isn't good about it?

SCREAMorphine

Awful album.

Review wasn't bad, pos bud.

January 21st 2013

"How many examples does he need?"

Two songs doesn't reflect a 17 songs albums...

January 21st 2013

So should we only write track by track reviews?

Koffiiing
January 22nd 2013

Fuck this album
decent review, keep it up

Gwyn.
January 23rd 2013

"
"How many examples does he need?"

Two songs doesn't reflect a 17 songs albums..."

*Don't

And songs are supposed to have an overall tone that stays through out the album to make the picture cohesive, otherwise is just a collection of songs

2-3, maybe 4 songs is enough.

January 25th 2013

All I'm saying is that apart from those two or maybe four songs this album is far from being immature.

January 27th 2013

I don't agree, I think the entire album aims at maturity but doesn't hit it. These low points are some examples of why, but they're not the only ones. I didn't give the album a 1, though. I think some of it's pretty alright but gets dragged down