Alpinist/Masakari
Split

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (89 Reviews)
January 18th, 2013 | 46 replies | 2,016 views

Review Summary: Kicks more ass than a perpetual ass kicking machine

Yes this is hardcore, it's the huge sounding sludgy kind, where the bass guitar is massive and distorted and actually audible in the mix. This is the kind of hardcore that's rock hard and heavy, the kind that's harder than getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Sunshine. This is a full length split by two of the biggest names in the modern crust scene: Alpinist and Masakari. Both bands alternate between breakneck speeds and slow, sludgy sections which give the album a nice dynamic sound. Both band's impressive sludgy and dissonant brand of crust had me rocking hard, and made me not want to do laundry for like two weeks.

Alpinist's first five tracks are a mostly power chord affair with a real punk vibe to them. The drums alternate between d-beat and blasts while the vocalist ear shattering yells hearken back to the old days of hardcore. Alpinist's side ends with the post-metal tune "Quelle Valeur Reste," which is a mostly instrumental tune that's chock full of droning, strangely melodic guitars that trudge the track along before it explodes into a cacophony of sludge that does a great job of ending the first side. Alpinist set the bar high with their screamo influenced crust that perfectly blends consonance and dissonance with its guitar melodies.

Masakari's side comes out swinging with "The Obscene Underbelly," which starts off with a dark and melancholy arpeggio that might make one think they're listening to an Envy record before the sludgy chords kick in and grab you by the balls. The rest of Masakari's split is in your face, heavy, sludgy, and occasionally grind-esque crust that makes Alpinist's side look like day out in the park with your mom. Masakari's crushing metallic sound is a fitting compliment to Alpinist's more punk influenced side that brings some much needed variety to the split.

There's a ton of garden variety hardcore going around in the internet age, and standing out as a beautiful blooming flower in a garden of weeds is pretty difficult. Thankfully both bands rock hard, but as is true with most splits, one band's side is better than the other, and the clear winner is Alpinist. Masakari's side is great, but doesn't stand out as much as it mostly blurs into a cacophony of noise that isn't as memorable. Even so, Alpinist and Masakari put out an excellent crusty split that will rattle your brain and grow hair on your chest, but most importantly keep your ears satisfied.

Prawn KingfisherEmpire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be Forgotten
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Old Gray/Tiny Moving Parts SplitBanner Pilot Souvenir

January 17th 2013

My contribution to the random album game

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

sniper

19048 Comments

this split is so fucking good

the alpinist side especially

January 17th 2013

I don't know much about crust so please don't crucify me
I hope Riff isn't online oh man

ShadowRemains

20531 Comments

this rules hard

Digging: Banks - Goddess

19654 Comments

Our reviews are next to each other yet again. Nice job, pos'd

^That's why I finished it

19654 Comments

Love the super Mario sunshine reference

Calc
January 17th 2013

have i seen this exact summary before?

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

Review was great. pos

"the kind that's harder than getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Sunshine"

Would you say this is harder than getting more stars than the bots in mario party 4 on the hardest difficulty setting?

Digging: Orange - Orange

January 17th 2013

Yeah I re-used my own summary cuz I'm a lazy hack

Calc
January 17th 2013

i knew i wasnt crazy. now im embarrassed i remembered...

January 17th 2013

I changed the summary on that other review just to be safe

tommygun
January 17th 2013

pos for super mario sunshine reference

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

January 17th 2013

Those lazy bastards and their blue coin bullshit

19654 Comments

I need to play Mario sunshine again it's been too long

January 17th 2013

I had to put Sunshine down for far cry 3. It's more of a summer game for me anyway, so I'll resume then.

19654 Comments

Weird I'm playing far cry 3 right now too lol. Have u played red dead redemption?

tommygun
January 17th 2013

that last daredevil star on galaxy 2 is the hardest shit though like omg three hours down the drain

Yup.

"When a man with a singsong voice tells me to fuck off, it ALWAYS concerns me, boyo."

Red dead is prolly my favorite ps3 game