Ana Never
Small Years

by Thomas Michael Morris USER (36 Reviews)
January 18th, 2013 | 14 replies

Review Summary: Godspeed Ana! Never You

In the brief overview given on Ana Never's official website, it is stated that Ana Never were "shaped in a spirit of friendship and sensibility." While this is a modest aphorism at face-value, its essence is one that is familiar and capable of conjuring up a profound emotional response. Whether it be nostalgic memories of late-afternoon adventures and grass-stained knees, the foreign and ebullient rush of young love, or the grief and ensuing metaphysical growth that takes place after a tragic passing on, both "friendship" and "sensibility" are sure to be the crux of many an individual's most memorable life episodes. With "Small Years", Serbian post-rock quintet Ana Never embark upon a quest to invigorate wary ears with the aural representation of these two life archetypes.

Scenic hyperbole aside, "Small Years" is anything but small; the four presented tracks amass nearly 80 minutes of slow-burning, cinematic post-rock. The great length, while perhaps intimidating at first, is ultimately necessary, as Ana Never do a wonderful job of extrapolating each of the motifs presented in their pieces so as to magnify their effectiveness. The compositions on "Small Years" cascade like the work of an aqueous symphony, with each oceanic manifold of sound swelling and swooning before ultimately culminating in a massive tidal wave with an unreachable zenith.

The first track on the album, "Future Wife", is perhaps most fulfilling of my simile. The monolithic 26-minute track begins with roughly five minutes of violin and guitar exposition, before the ambiance is broken with a lone guitar line that inserts some discernible rhythmic structure to the piece. For the next several minutes, the piece undulates to some minor crests and troughs - the clear development of our aural narrative - before the major climax is reached around the 12-minute mark. It's at this point that throw everything that they've got at the listener dynamically, with violins and guitars filling up as much empty space as possible in a massive wall-of-sound. The final several minutes serve as the denouement, where the piece slowly backs off and briefly recapitulates the opening theme on vibraphone. If the climax halfway through the song were the hurricane, I would liken this section to the fringe of the storm: its quiet and rainy aftermath. It is a tender and sensual conclusion to an enthralling piece of music.

If any flaws could be exploited on "Small Years", its lack of originality is the only one of particular note. Ana Never have a very clear affinity for Godspeed You! Black Emperor, with the album "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" specifically springing to mind. However, where a lot of Godspeed's most powerful moments come from their masterful use of spoken samples and the way the band's art responds to it, Ana Never manage to create an overwhelming aural aesthetic of love and longing using only the instruments they wield. If my language sounds hyperbolic and romantic, I am doing the album justice. This is not the breed of music to be broken down and analyzed for each of its derivatives, "Small Years" is clearly meant to be experienced in the full-extent of the principles of such modest traits as "friendship" or "reflection", or even "love". Given the correct parameter, "Small Years" is as enthralling as it is metaphysically grounding. Finding the ideal time to experience and appreciate it may be slightly challenging, as it certainly is an album that demands attention. However, once that window of time combines with a tender emotional state in one 75-minute niche, "Small Years" will be there, and it will not be forgotten.

Progenie Terrestre Pura U.M.A.Amon Amarth Deceiver of the Gods
Polkadot Cadaver Last Call in JonestownEnsemble Pearl Ensemble Pearl
Dr. Quandary WayfarersThank You Scientist Maps of Non-Existent Places

January 17th 2013

This proved to be a really difficult album for me to write about, as most of it has to do with feelz and whatnot.

Originally reviewed for mediasnobs.com

Digging: DIR EN GREY - Arche

Schizophrenik

this sounds cool

January 17th 2013

gonna have to check this, nice rev pos

January 17th 2013

Was just about to link their bandcamp page, ya beat me to it.

Thanks for the pos's, guys. This is definitely worth your time if you have it.

Propose

listening now

Propose

this sounds pretty cool

January 17th 2013

These guys have apparently played shows with Kayo Dot and Nadja...rad.

DurzoBlint
January 18th 2013

Awesome I shall check this out. 80 minutes for four tracks seems a bit excessive though >_> hopefully
I don't get bored.

January 18th 2013

I don't think it feels as lengthy as it is; it's immersive enough that several minutes pass awfully quickly.

bakkermaarten007
January 19th 2013

I'm only now listening to 'Gorgeous One' and I immediately notice a huge change in mood. Much more hopeful than their EP, which was very very gloomy.

January 20th 2013

This is considerably more uplifting than the self-titled.

kingsoby1
January 30th 2013

good review i wish i still loved this kind of music. sounds like it would get my old 20 year old pants wet

January 31st 2013

Thanks for the kind words, Sobhi. There's definitely a time and place for post-rock abums such as this one.

Omaha