Chronographs
Nausea

by JPrice321 USER (8 Reviews)
January 17th, 2013 | 18 replies | 2,693 views

Release Date: 01/07/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nausea that's definitely worth getting

Tech metal is a breeding ground for many musicians who wish to display their skills on their respective instruments and create complex music that is dynamic and engaging; this can lead to great compositions being birthed and juicy rhythms to eat up. Unfortunately there can be a fine line for bands in this genre to have their music cross from being intricate works that remain constantly engaging to a platform to flaunt musical ability over structure and composition. So starting off on the right foot is key for any new band that emerges in this genre, luckily Chronographs succeed in this whilst leaving plenty of room for future potential.

Despite being a relatively young band from the UK Chronographs showcase an impressive level of technical ability that is relatively common place for the genre. From the frantic finger tapping opener “Opticks” all members of Chronographs maintain their composure and rhythm, making the EP run full steam ahead with its 18 minute run time. Vocalist Jon displays a style that sees him ranging from rather distinctive throaty screams to more conventional clean sung sections. Whilst he never reaches anything that’s well and beyond what most tech metal bands offer, Jon still fits in well with the music and is more than capable of holding his own. As previously mentioned tech metal bands can have a tendency to delve into the realm of over indulgence and loss focus, Chronographs handles this by letting the music breathe in the many slower, more conventional moments on tracks such as the closing of “Nausea”. This helps assuage the issue of focus and provides a nice contrast to the usual blisteringly fast pace of tech metal creating more compelling songs that feel fulfilling. There are still one or two moments during the EP occasionally where the music may drag and get fatiguing but these only happen on the rare occasion due to the generally short EP length.

Chronographs have shown that they are more than capable of being a player in the tech metal scene with this EP and showcase that they have a lot of potential to grow into something special in the future. Fans of technical metal should definitely check this out.

Humanity's Last Breath Humanity's Last BreathThe Apex Theory Lightpost
Spineshank Anger Denial AcceptanceChimp Spanner Imperium Vorago
Landscapes Life Gone WrongSonic Boom Six Sonic Boom Six

January 17th 2013

Felt like writing just a small review for this between my Uni assignments as it's a pretty great EP that deserves a little exposure! Someone else can write a better review if they like.

January 17th 2013

is there a stream for this?

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

January 17th 2013

pos'd, also if this is djent i may not be interested

January 17th 2013

Sadly not but these songs are streaming on Youtube:
Opticks (Music video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G76QWfcV-44
Inanis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3OTjhLvbM

Also they're kinda Djenty but I'd say they have more in common with something like The Arusha Accord albeit without the duel vocalists.

January 17th 2013

interesting, well I'll check out those tracks, thanks bro

January 17th 2013

Agreed with the summary. I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Hopelust
January 17th 2013

not really djent at all from what I can tell.

January 17th 2013

Yeah it's more tech metal / mathcore in my opinion!

Yazz_Flute

Will check out.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Asdfp277
January 18th 2013

I don't speak english very well, but I might be of help!:

-Change the comma after "genre" to a period or a semicolon, and put a comma after "luckily".

Despite being a relatively young band from the UK Chronographs

-Comma after "UK".

genre.

-I think there's something wrong here but I'm not sure. "...that is relatively common place..."

indulgence and loss focus, Chronographs handles this by letting...

-I think there's something missing after the comma.

but these [*moments*] only happen on the rare occasion due to the generally short EP length.

-Change "on the rare occasion" to "rarely". And it's weird to talk about EPs in general when you're
reviewing only this one.

---

I might be full of shit, tho'. Wait for someone who actually knows about english, lol. :D

DrGonzo1937
January 18th 2013

Yeah, this is a great EP from these guys.

sexpoi

^

Definitely NOT a 5!

sexpoi
June 19th 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Not amazing but really good nonetheless

mindleviticus
July 4th 2013

the end of the song Veritas is pretty bad but the EP itself is solid as fuck

mindleviticus
July 4th 2013

I believe these guys were the same guys in the band Shirukume which aren't on sputnik. I love their
album Speaking In Colours

Omaha
July 6th 2013

This is cool, not a fan of the production but the songwriting is lovely

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth