Voivod
Target Earth

by Trey Spencer STAFF
January 17th, 2013 | 185 replies | 27,263 views

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not only have Voivod managed to press on without one of their key songwriters, they've also released one of the best albums of their long career.

For many, Piggy was Voivod. Although both he and Michel Langevin (Drums) had been with the band since its inception, it was Piggy’s guitar playing that had created their unique appeal. Of course, it would be wrong not to give credit to Snake’s distinctive vocal style and sci-fi lyrics as well, but it was mostly the riffs. Based on Piggy’s prominence within the band, most fans were probably under the assumption that Voivod would die with him, but that didn’t happen. At first it started slowly; a few shows with fill-in guitarist, Daniel Mongrain, to celebrate Piggy’s final album. But, over the course of those shows it stopped looking like Voivod’s swansong and more like their second (or third, or fourth) coming. Fans were responding well to the new guitarist, Blacky (their original bass player) returned to the fold and there were even whispers of a new album. Of course, there’s a big difference between touring without a key songwriter and actually trying to release new material without him.

It would be understandable if fans were a bit skeptical, but regardless of outside opinions, the band pushed through and Target Earth is the end result. So, was the skepticism warranted? Quite honestly, if I hadn’t already known that Piggy wasn’t on this album, I would have sworn that Target Earth was written and recorded by the man himself. Of course, Voivod have released a few duds in their time, so a bit more elaboration is probably still in order. This statement should leave little doubt: Target Earth is one of the best things to come from the band since The Outer Limits. The fact of the matter is that Target Earth could fit comfortably between Dimension: Hatross and Nothingface without any issues; that is how good this album is. More importantly, that is how well new guitarist, Daniel Mongrain, was able to emulate Piggy’s distinctive style and stay true to the band’s root sound. The weird tones and futuristic thrash riffing are on full display, as are the abrupt time changes and high-energy tempos.

I just can’t get over how much this album sounds like peak-era Voivod – the three album stretch from Killing Technology to Nothingface, in case there was any doubt. Of course, there’s still another reason to wax nostalgic about the band’s early days – the long overdue return of original bassist, Blacky. The gritty bottom end and surging bass lines are another part of what made the band so good, and his return is most certainly welcome. Even the band’s vocalist has got in on the old-school homage by delivering the kind of dirty, off-kilter vocal performance not put to record since Killing Technology. All of this reference to the past shouldn’t be taken for more than it is though. Target Earth is definitely a modern Voivod album and one that stands on its own, while also most certainly serving as a tribute to Piggy and the band’s roots.

There were probably a lot of people that felt the band were risking their legacy by recording without Piggy, but I think he’d be proud of his bandmates. Target Earth isn’t just another modern Voivod album teasing fans with subtle hints of the band’s peak years while never really delivering; this is the band jumping in with both feet and totally embracing what most people love them for. Target Earth is the speed, technicality and thrashy weirdness of the band’s earliest album enveloped in a modern package that is also able to retain its own vibe and personality. Anyone that was worried about what Dan Mongrain and company would do to the Voivod sound can now rest easy, because this is the best thing they’ve done in many, many… many years.

Flotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014Mindcage Our Own Devices
Fates Warning Darkness in a Different LightQueensryche Queensryche
Skinny Puppy WeaponThe God Machine Scenes from the Second Storey
kual21 (4)
It’s a progressive, heavy, thrashy and fast album released right in the beginning of 2013....

Brendan Schroer STAFF (4)
A great return to form....

sustainthesatan (4)
The first masterpiece of 2013, Voivod are back and kicking just as much ass as ever before...

Album Stream:

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

demigod!
January 16th 2013

For some reason I've never listened to Voivod.

January 16th 2013

That is something that you should fix.

demigod!

where do I start?

January 16th 2013

Dimension: Hatross and Nothingface. Then you can move to this one and Killing Technology.

January 16th 2013

great review man. only one i've heard is nothingface to be honest.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

mindleviticus
January 16th 2013

I knew you were going to review this. Album's really good

January 16th 2013

great review man. only one i've heard is nothingface to be honest.
You really need to hear Dimension:Hatross if nothing else.

I knew you were going to review this.
That's some great fortune telling, considering the fact that I haven't reviewed since April or May.

mindleviticus
January 16th 2013

Well you usually review this kind of music so I figured it was either you or Mike Stagno

January 16th 2013

i thought it was gonna be voivod reviewing voivod actually lol but definitely a nice review

edit: oh, i was thinking voivod was staff not contributor nevermind.

Cimnele
January 16th 2013

definitely album of the month

i love most of what Voivod do, the gentle stuff like Angel Rat and the vicious stuff like Roar suits me perfectly fine. but i didn't think they'd be that good again!

iambandersnatch

i love that album art

FiveLeavesLeft
January 16th 2013

I've been picked to review this for the other site I review on, so I hope it'll match their old work for me :]

Irving

Great review Trey.

Please write more...a review every three months isn't nearly enough =)

Also I guess I won't be needed anymore for this particular assignment eh? =p

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

evilford

19994 Comments

Good review

Is this better than the outer limits?

!

rev owns

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

feature?

seedofnothing
January 17th 2013

good to see some good music reviewed by the staff

MichaelSnoxall

Need to hear this

Voivod
January 17th 2013

I've been waiting for your review Willie.

Will read the first chance I get.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly