Dillinger Four
Midwestern Songs Of The Americas

by C.F. USER (17 Reviews)
January 17th, 2013 | 27 replies | 2,750 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An album as picturesque and fleeting as the fond half-memories of your drunken night before.

In Dillinger Four fashion, a tradition started by this debut album, the first song “O.K. F.M. D.O.A.” starts with an antiquated sounding recording of violins playing along some Leave it to Beaver or Andy Griffith Show mother***er providing instructions on how to set your speakers to a “perfect balance”. Everything seems peachy and in place as the man on the crackling gramophone sits you down and calmly prepares you for some auditory experience that is about to be had... and then hurdling in a mile a minute, in a drunken, loud stupor are Dillinger Four, busting through the crash doors and presenting to you, the listener, the deafening, high energy rawness of a live drunk-punk show.

On Midwestern Songs of the Americas, Dillinger Four introduce themselves to the punk rock world with exhaustive speeds, unrefined productions and raucous vocals. Working as a two headed beast, the album provides a nice contrast between Patrick Costello's thick, gravelly and downright ugly pipes and Erik Funk's sleek and all-the-while cutting vocal delivery. Adding a dash of Bill Morrisette's backing vocals, this constant back-and-forth of vocal duties complements the already hasty pace of the album, giving even more reasons to keep the listener on their toes.

The biggest appeal of this album, however, is the band's ability to do so much in so little time. Every song reads like a manifesto, thought of and sputtered out in an average song duration of about two minutes. None of the time feels wasted, as shown in “Doublewhiskeycokenoice”, as the song chugs along at it's usual fast as hell speeds (despite actually being one of the slower songs on the album) just to be wrapped up in a perfectly conceived, brief anthem at the end, shouting: “So I'm reaching for the phone I don't want to be alone/ I want to get some friends here tonight/ I got a basement full of booze and some blues to lose/ I'll ignore the whole world tonight/ It will be alright” This is done in just 2 minutes and 14 seconds, which includes the 14 second intro: a sample similar to the one at the beginning of the album, yet again another daintily painted picture that Dillinger Four tear through unabashedly to present their loud, drunken spectacle. Dillinger Four use the momentum of their songs to fall perfectly into these loud gang vocal anthems, cutting out any excess nonsense and never losing focus, while still saying so much. Brevity is truly the soul of their wit.

And just like that, what seems like an instant, Midwestern Songs of the America is over. Shouted yet sincere, sloppy yet focused, the songs are as picturesque and fleeting as the fond half-memories of your drunken night before.

Merchandise / Destruction Unit / Milk Music USA 13 SplitScreaming Females What If Someone Is Watching Their TV?
Milk Music Cruise Your IllusionDicks Hate the Police
Black Pus All My RelationsFind Him And Kill Him You Can't Fuck With the Kids

January 16th 2013

my review for the review a random album game

john hanson submitted this but i've been meaning to review it soon anyways so yeah fuck it

if you claim to not like any pop punk whatsoever i'd be willing to bet that you haven't heard this
album

wag

19471 Comments

Cool review pos

Digging: The Who - Tommy

RosaParks
January 16th 2013

used to jam these guys in high school. gonna have to revisit. posd

January 16th 2013

thanks dudes. i'd say i like this more than c i v i l w a r

bungy

Ah fuck ya

fuck ya bungy

this album fucking rules

HOO HOO HOO HAROLD WASHINGTON

Kris.
January 17th 2013

these guys r too good thanks for reviewin this

Chortles

sweet pos'd

Digging: Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura

SgtPepper
January 17th 2013

Really great review, man. Have a POS.

January 17th 2013

thanks paperback, looking forward to yours

my fav of their's

but all of them are awesome

clercqie
January 17th 2013

Looks like I need this. Love the vivid descriptions in the reviews. They really make me interested. Nice work man!

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

civil war is better but this is still 5/5

Digging: Radiator Hospital - Torch Song

4/5 for d4 is 5/5 for any other album

InfamousGrouse
January 17th 2013

cool review i remember looking for this recently but i couldn't get it anywhere, t'was a sad day

Digging: Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

DurzoBlint
January 17th 2013

Damn you, I just saw dillinger and a new album art and assumed it was DEP! >_

January 17th 2013

dang it's a better band instead

agreed hard