CityCop / Les Doux
Family Ties/Labors of Love

by Collin USER (4 Reviews)
January 17th, 2013 | 10 replies

Release Date: 01/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Two excellent outfits, so what the heck. Wear em' both.

Opportunity is the shining basis of all splits. They're fun, exciting, and most of all, contra distinct of previous works. Splits also serve as time machines. It's a sneak preview of latter works to come and a kind of way to maintain loyal 'skramz' fan bases.

Citycop is undoubtedly one of the most interesting screamo bands of the present industry because they are DIFFERENT. It's fresh. Long gone are the post-formulaic electric guitar riffs, and hello is the twangy acoustic guitar that unleashes a primal reverb with all the same intensity of Mr. Les Paul. Citycop are not you average run of the mill screamo band . The rawness of the production provides ventilation for listeners ear, and unpredictability. Some may complain about the "poor" production, but embracing human flaws is a great aspect for a band who's genre is based on punctuality of emotion.

Les Doux is a band dripping with talent. It's easy to agree. Their first EP "Dialects" was absolutely phenomenal from start to finish. The EP included a great supposition of English terms such as "Imperative" and "Interrogative". Just as the title of the tracks suggest, each song was lyrically similar to the name of the song. Les Doux incorporates many different instruments in this EP, but sticks to a more classic form of hardcore instrumentals, with a swig of blues thrown in to diversify them from other line-ups apart of the new wave. Vocals from Les Doux are very simple yet still withhold that driving force of sweet emotion. Technicality from both bands is very pervasive for screamo standards, but each is able to scrum-up enough fresh idiosyncrasies to make their efforts playback worthy.

Overall, this is a very fun listen that offers something warm and hearty, yet unique enough to be your stereo candy for the rest of the winter. Good job Citycop. and Les Doux. We here at Sputnik await patiently to see what you'll do next.

Nice summary, pos

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

20063 Comments

Yeah agreed

Digging: Trophy Eyes - Mend, Move On

taxidermist
January 16th 2013

Separate your paragraphs dude :-)

Digging: Whirr/Nothing - Split

nowitzness559
January 16th 2013

My bad Taxi! Silly iPhone.

chesse13
January 16th 2013

oh man i still need to listen to this

Digging: -

GnarlyShillelagh

hook that tracklist up

taxidermist
January 17th 2013

My bad Taxi! Silly iPhone.

All good dude! Dig the review. Pos.

elephantREVOLUTION

good review sir

dimsim3478
May 17th 2013

CityCop.'s side, to me, is like one big song in three movements.

Digging: Crying - Get Olde Second Wind

synysterdjs
May 31st 2013

I've still to listen to Les Doux's side, which I will once I've given their other stuff a spin. But CityCop.'s side is awesome. 'Rain Song' has such a beautiful riff.