Gozu
The Fury Of A Patient Man

by Greg Fisher STAFF
January 13th, 2013 | 74 replies

Release Date: 04/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gozu pack a punch with their sophomore album delivering heavy rock that crushes with blistering riffs as much as shimmers with haunting melodies.

Gozu have already gained proper recognition for their debut Locust Season released three years ago. Bostonian quartet's expertly performed brand of stoner rock juxtaposed corpulent riffs with soulful melodies, manifesting its unflagging energy in stellar songwriting rather than unfocused jamming. Eagerly anticipated, The Fury Of A Patient Man follows suit and in the process lives up to its title derived from John Dryden's quote. Even though the foursome doesn't really ditch their inclination to tackle adventurous dynamics, the LP feels more accessible than their coveted first full-length packing an equally powerful punch.

The group's sound still revolves around Barry Spillberg's vibrant drumming and Doug Sherman's rollicking riffs which largely settle on permeating groove, but also make for various tempo changes. Aside from densely layered, monolithic onslaughts, there are moments on the album when his playing seems more restrained. “Charles Bronson Pinchot” may recall High On Fire in its relentless trash metal brutality, yet its second half drifts into contemplative atmospherics that have much more in common with post-metal. On the other hand, “Disco Related Injury” benefits from a sudden shift midway through trading bluesy guitar leads for ultra-thick sections with aplomb. The track also brims with soul-echoing vocals of Marc Gaffney, which range from ferocious to wrenchingly emotional. Gaff's penchant for melody has been evident previously, yet his contribution on the new album is often riddled with personal undertones and vulnerability which clearly distinguishes Gozu from their peers.

In comparison with the outfit's debut, the highlights on The Fury Of A Patient Man happen to be even more apparent. “Irish Dart Fight” is an absolute delight and the band's most representative track whose transition from a playful build-up to a blissful, wailing guitar-driven chorus is nothing short of perfect. “Salty Thump” stands out with its joyous, sleaze rock arrangement, being the most hook-laden track on the disc. In contrast, ominous “Ghost Wipe” is an exemplary exercise in releasing tension due to Gaff's infectiously unstable vocals giving way to Sherman's monstrous guitar leads and yet another unforgettable chorus. Although Gozu are at their best when they indulge themselves in short tunes based on massive hooks, they don't totally steer clear of experimentation. Lifted from their self-titled EP, “Traci Lords” contrasts their catchy style with distressing drone that also propels the record's expansive, instrumental closer.

The Fury Of A Patient Man raises the bar incredibly high for every notable stoner rock band that's planning to release an album this year. Its undeniable allure chiefly lies in the foursome's approach to songcraft that superbly balances blistering riffs with haunting melodies. Therefore, these songs are deemed to be embraced not only by ardent heavy rock fans, but also more mainstream listeners. Gozu are still in the course of perfecting and adding new elements to their style though. If they manage to make their presentation even more consistent next time, then their following record may be their magnum opus.

Wildbirds & Peacedrums RhythmDope Body Lifer
Sparky HumanimationLo-Pan Colossus
Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings

January 13th 2013

The album is streaming over at this location:

Digging: Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Rhythm

Brostep
January 13th 2013

First track is amazing so far. Will listen to the rest.

Good review as always, have a pos. If you'd like more specific feedback just say so and I'll try to give you some.

Thanks a bunch man.

Alternative summary: The power of the riff compels you.

Brostep
January 13th 2013

Album on the whole is excellent.

January 13th 2013

The album is great. I like Signed, Epstein's Mom, Irish Dart Fight, Salty Thumb and Ghost Wipe most so far. The vocals are definitely a highlight, at various times they remind me of Josh Homme's voice. Great review, pos.

Digging: Brant Bjork - Black Flower Power

January 13th 2013

I'd also add Disco Related Injury to your favorite tracks. Lol at goofy song titles... and thanks.

January 13th 2013

No... only stoner rock. You got me.

SgtPepper
January 13th 2013

This is a really great review, Greg. I dont know this band so I'll have to check them out.

I'm always looking for good stoner bands.

WeepingBanana
January 13th 2013

i'll keep this on my radar greg, you've yet to steer me wrong

Jethro42
January 13th 2013

I've only heard couple of songs off of this album, and I liked it. Will listen to the rest. Locust Season is a helluva great album. Great review, Greg.

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

Returning the favor for all the good you gave me about The Light. Your review was great. Have a deserved POS.

Calc
January 13th 2013

yay for punch out!!! references!!! good review btw

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

January 14th 2013

How come they're releasing the record online for months before the physical one ? I'm assuming they're using the money made on these to press the CDs and Vinyls ?

Insurrection
January 14th 2013

Great review as always greg, pos

Digging: Soen - Tellurian

January 14th 2013

Thanks guys. I made some small edits.

@insomniac15:
I know that they've been using this strategy for a long time now. So, I guess it works for them just fine. You may be right about the reason. Though I hope some money from digital purchase goes directly to a band in question.

JamieTwort

Great review man, pos'd.

Definitely gonna check this out.

January 14th 2013

Well Small Stone is an independent label as far as I know. I guess they receive maybe half of the money ? Or at least more than the 10 % or so, big label bands usually get off the sales.

January 14th 2013

heard a couple tracks this morning and i dug the riffs, they truly were fun

pos'd

menawati
January 14th 2013

stream sounding good, nice review pos

Digging: H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft II

January 14th 2013

Glad you're liking this guys. This definitely needs more exposure.