Half Moon Run
Dark Eyes

by chambered99 USER (2 Reviews)
January 13th, 2013 | 38 replies | 3,378 views

The needle in your skin won't bring you closer to God / I watch as your head turns full circle. As a recovering and relapsing drug addict, Dark Eyes begins as a reminder of all those war stories. Through beautifully woven acoustics and quite the memorable hook, "Full Circle" begins Half Moon Run's excellent (albeit non-overwhelming, though they do sound very layered for only a 3piece) debut slyly avoids mostly all modern indie pitfalls. By incorporating heartfelt folk melodies and quick little bursts of jammin', as well as vocal harmonies to die for, Dark Eyes manages to sound original and catchy. The marriage of spaced out indie rock/pop and folk sensibilities isn't anything new (Fleet Foxes do this kind of stuff, but not as atmospheric) yet Half Moon Run make it work with a sense of confidence in their hooks, everything delivered deliberately and with power. "Call Me In The Afternoon" wouldn't sound out of place on another fantastic Canadian album of 2012, Pop Friend's Earth To Friend, what with its sunny beauty being pummeled by emotion.

Ultimately the 2nd half of Dark Eyes is weak compared to the memorable, pungent 1st. The album is sawed in half by the soulful masterpiece in the middle: "Need It" is beautiful, its melodies soaring in the most subtlest way, its verses dripping in mood. "Drug You" also highlights the back-end, its constant pulsing sounding like the album is about out of gas and out of its mind. From there on Dark Eyes doesn't really surprise anymore, and the album comes to a screeching halt. There's some amazing music here though - a passionate voice, a deeply moody ride left in the dust of 2012.

Aziz STAFF (3.8)
Dark Eyes as a whole is an invigorating offering, with just the right balance of catchiness and atmo...

January 13th 2013

this album is pretty cool man

Digging: Baton Rouge - Totem

January 13th 2013

damn, was just putting the finishing touches on my review of this, lol

InbredJed
January 13th 2013

I've heard these guys are great live, looking forward to seeing them. The album got a little repetitive so hoping for good things from the live show.

January 14th 2013

man 1st half of this album rules

January 14th 2013

BUT I REALLY WANNA MAKE HER MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEEEEEE

no more losing the waaaaaaaaarrrr.... KAAAREEENNNNN

if you breathe in, i'll breathe in, slowly let goooooooooooooooooo

man so many good parts on here

January 15th 2013

i think a good amount of sputnik should hear this, there's some essential listening here

^agreed

This needed a review good job mayne

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Video for Call Me is freakin tripppppy

drug you is so good

STILL A HEAD FULL OF HATEEEE STILL A HEAD FULL OF PRIIIIDEEEE

January 15th 2013

chambered maybe it's time you bumped your rating a bit ;)

can't get over how much i dislike the 2nd half sans drug you lol

January 16th 2013

ya but it's good my nigga

January 16th 2013

potsy i know you're about that upper echelon music hit me with some tyrannosaurus recs

January 16th 2013

trying to dip into electronic stuff. all i've heard really is burial and this dude nicolas jaar. Also have Amon Tobin, The Avalanches, and Speedy J, but haven't listened to them yet. I'm pretty much a blank slate so mold me into whatever I guess

Also been listening to this band, some radiohead, and elliott smith lately too so yeah that too i spose

January 16th 2013

yeah this is like the epitome of sowingseason

this is too not gay for sowing!

January 16th 2013

yeah this is like the epitome of sowingseason/every other hipster on the fucking sites favorite kind of music ever

Yup this will blow up eventually
Lowered to 4 cause of second half, still really good`

yessss

but man drug you is so gr8

January 16th 2013

Drug You is easily my favorite. All my top 40 radio friends love Call Me In The Afternoon. So catchy. These guys have a pretty universal appeal. How have we all been sleeping since March?

January 16th 2013

if you need it, then i need it
but only we'll know