Peeple Watchin
Somethin Ta Tell Ya

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
January 9th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 01/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "It's the ones you can't take back that'll getcha in the end"

Normally when I bring up punk from Boston I'm talking about either the greats, like SS Decontrol or something, or the newest (fucking hate this word) hype band, like The Boston Strangler or something. That shit is a hardstyle-posing tough guy asshole's wettest dream. Yeah, well...this is not that.

Peeple Watchin', featuring Zack Smith of The Credentials fame, are one example of Boston's thriving pop-punk scene. The demo was decent, the split (with Nona) was good, and the inevitable self-titled 7" featured a track with the great city's name in the title. This is a tried and true recipe. With their first full length release, Somethin' Ta Tell Ya, the band grooves into a new phase of their Replacements-meets-Credentials brand of punk rock. Fans of both those bands will again be pleased by the buttery smooth guitar driven cuts like "'95" and "Just Like Them."

And shout-a-longs there are aplenty with the tri-vocal attack brandishing a liquor-soaked lyrics sheet unafraid to pull any punches on pop-punk cliches. There's the nostalgia-drenched "VHS," where lines like "Found a VHS of the old band playing a talent show at the school gym, covering songs we grew up with. I guess not much is different. Can we still fuck this morning up with sour breath and punk haircuts before leaving behind friendships forged in convenience store parking lots?" cut to the quick and are sure to satisfy the Joyce Manor And The Amazing Parade of Tumblr-core crowd. This is an album made for your booze-binging roommate, the hopeless romantics of your life, that girl you who was just too much of a sweetheart for you to break up with.

Peeple Watchin' have a lot going for them in that they're not too jaded to be singing songs about being old souls just trying to have a good time, as well as attempting to escape to a place where things maybe aren't so complicated. I think they have a bright future ahead of them.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me

this is good music

Pos for Riff Raff

Digging: Pharmakon - Abandon

January 9th 2013

yeah, rules. hep the new low culture lp is so fuggin good too give it a listen

January 9th 2013

i was going to include the lyrics of riff raff at the end of the review in centered italics but then i was all "nah"

and yeah i listened to that low culture album 3.5

whatever

Digging: Anthony Shakir - Frictionalism 1994-2009

bungy
January 10th 2013

Fans of the credentials? You mean me the credentials and seven other people?

This is like a few notches better than the credentials I am stoked

also you spelt poeple wrong

foxblood

looks cool

foxblood

VHS is awesome

January 10th 2013

Fans of the credentials? You mean me the credentials and seven other people?

This is like a few notches better than the credentials I am stoked

also you spelt poeple wrong

poeple watchin moar like poople watchin amirite

Blackbelt54
January 17th 2013

been hearing people here and elsewhere talk about this lately and it's really great. anyone listen to that california x album? cuz i've been hearing about that too

Digging: Cayetana - Nervous Like Me

January 18th 2013

i wish all the songs were as good as the first. also wtf i was 2 in 1995 how old are these guys

April 11th 2013