Paradox
Tales of the Weird

by Drew Tyler USER (68 Reviews)
January 9th, 2013 | 11 replies | 1,682 views

Review Summary: A power/thrash metal band with much to offer, despite a few rough spots

Paradox, a veteran metal band hailing from Germany, fuses both thrash and power metal together, taking both the fist pumping energy and brutal aggression from the genres and putting it all into one cohesive album. There are several things to like about Paradox, whether it is the bands knack for creative and melodic guitar work, the technical drum patterns, or the band’s charismatic attitude itself. Riffs and solos are executed with exemplary talent and precision, and the album manages to strike a fine balance between melody and overall heaviness. Still, the album wilts in a couple places, namely the vocals. While certainly adequate, they may sound rather bland and average. Still they manage to hold your attention and aren't necessarily dreadful. The band also fails to expand on the their past efforts, with Paradox seemingly finding their comfort zone with their thrash/power metal style. The band basically clings to their roots here, playing their old brand of power thrash with little variation from it, so don't expect a whole lot of variety here. Still, this stands as one of the finer examples of genre-bending metal, as Paradox is effective in delivering high-intensity metal. This bands shares a lot in common with acts such as Firewind, Rage, and Iced Earth. Fans of either genre will find lots to be exited about here, and this may be a keeper.

Savatage Fight for the RockWitherscape The Inheritance

recommended by reviewer
Firewind Few Against Many
Rage 21

January 9th 2013

Here's the first track off of the album

Tales of the Weird

I'm trying a smaller review format, sticking to key points only, so let me know what you thought of
this.

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

TheNotrap
January 9th 2013

What a coincidence, I'm jamming Paradox's Riot Squad right now.
Solid release in my opinion. Always loved Charly Steinhauer's songwriting.

Short but nice review man. I agree when you say "the album manages to strike a fine balance between melody and overall heaviness."

Have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

Voivod
January 9th 2013

From what I'm listening in the YouTube link provided - nearly the whole album is on YT - the rating is precise.

Good review, pos.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

January 9th 2013

Yeah the album is pretty solid, I appreciate your responses.

Voivod
January 9th 2013

I like this one much much better

The Downward Spiral - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsbCvYBhELE

SgtPepper
January 9th 2013

Yeah this does sound pretty cool. The review is rather small and could use some more detail, i.e. song descriptions, but overall very informative and well-written. POS'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

FrozenVain
January 9th 2013

Wow, that's a short review. Was actually kinda planning on reviewing this, but pretty much solely for the reasons that they got Obscura's main guitarist.

Good review nonetheless.

January 9th 2013

I think that i will stick to relatively smaller reviews than the 4-5 paragraphs i usually do, but i will be sure to include more detail in the future. Thanks for the responses.

January 9th 2013

Review is too 'unexplained' for my liking so I won't pos or neg

but good to see this reviewed nontheless.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

January 9th 2013

Great band for sure, but I found this pretty disappointing. Maybe I'll check again it another time.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

DrHouseSchuldiner
April 24th 2013

Love these guys alot but this album has to be their weakest so far for me : (