Lorene Drive
Romantic Wealth

by Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (63 Reviews)
January 7th, 2013 | 34 replies | 1,508 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A stellar album by a band that got lost in the shuffle.

In the mid-2000s there was a massive flood of whiny pop-punk/post-hardcore bands. Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance ruled the landscape, with roughly 2087653985764 lesser known bands vying for attention. With there being such an overabundance, many talented bands fell to the wayside. Lorene Drive was one of those unfortunate bands. Despite having an undeniable fun factor and talent all around, they were never able to catch on with a larger audience. It is a shame, because Romantic Wealth is a very strong debut album by a band that seemed destined for bigger things.

Lorene Drive never had the most unique sound, but they knew how to make the most out of it. Vocalist Dan Murillo possesses a fantastic voice, able to carry most songs with his vocals, both clean, semi-clean, and the occasional scream. Songs like “So Easy” and the album highlight “Change Of Occupancy” show off Murillo’s talents best, with “Change of Occupancy” switching from soft, quiet vocals during the verses, to wailing during the chorus. The guitarists aren’t the most talented, but they definitely have an ear for catchy, heavy melodies, a la the best days of Funeral For A Friend. The drumming is nothing overly crazy, but provides a steady backbone throughout the entire album.

Murillo’s lyrics are a bit of a double edged sword. He can have very clever moments, while other times he can be either very cliché and/or eye-roll inducing. “A Song In The Key Of Sex” is exactly that, with uncreative lyrics that don’t help things. Luckily Murillo’s skills keep this from being too much of a problem throughout the course of the album. The fun factor of this album cannot be overstated, with punchy songs and big choruses on almost every track, creating a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Another plus is the fairly short run-time of thirty-six minutes, as it keeps the album from being a chore.

Lorene Drive were a band that seemed to have everything in their corner to be big, and it just never happened. It is a shame, as Romantic Wealth probably should have been exposed to a bigger audience. Lorene Drive broke up in 2009, with Murillo going on to join Hollywood Undead (dead serious) that same year. Recently, Lorene Drive got back together with a new album coming in the future. Time will tell if they still have what made this album great.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyPowerman 5000 Builders of the Future
Lord Mantis Death MaskChuck Ragan Till Midnight
Perfect Pussy Say Yes to LoveTwin Forks Twin Forks
Outkast150 (3.5)

January 7th 2013

This is for theacademy, the only other person I know who likes this album

Dude!

This is so so good

January 7th 2013

I would like to personally thank Amped 3 for introducing me to these guys, Underoath, and Anberlin

Voivod

Well written, pos.

Maybe it's just me, but the text reads more like a 3.5 than a 4.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

January 7th 2013

lol'd at the recommended section

also I think you are dead on with the funeral for a friend comparison

album is pretty easy to like... i bet a lot more sputnikers would dig it if they had ever heard of it

I had it at a 3.5 but this album is just too fun

Voivod
January 7th 2013

Yeah I know how those albums feel like.

January 7th 2013

acad, Lorene is so good at the melodic yet heavy guitars that FFAF made their staple for so long. I also agree that a lot of people would really like this if they gave it a chance

Iluvatar
January 7th 2013

you dues gonna kissy kissy now?

January 7th 2013

You wanna watch or somethin

19497 Comments

i'll check this shit out good review

Digging: The Who - Tommy

bach

11973 Comments

I might check this out. Pos'd.

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

January 7th 2013

john hanson super jelly of wat we got babe

I call being Cher

January 7th 2013

I gotta start writing negative reviews to popular albums so I can get some fucking press

ha you got 6 pos's quit bitching

you shut your fuckhole

19497 Comments

lol i can neg just as easily as i pos'd ;)

January 7th 2013

spite neg me, it gets me hot.

I only ever seem to review albums that hadn't been reviewed yet, which is great for database depth, but awful for conversation in the threads