Black Veil Brides
Wretched and Divine

by dragoth USER (31 Reviews)
January 7th, 2013 | 180 replies

Release Date: 01/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Black Veil Brides are back with big concept album and their best release to date.

For those of you that don't know, Black Veil Brides is a band that come from Los Angeles, they started off on their first album We Stitch These Wounds as a metalcore act, they then moved onto a glam metal band for their follow up album Set the World on Fire. Now as they reach their third album we hear a more mainstream rock sound with some metal influences.

So, what is good about the album? For a starters, as always there is the instrumentation, particularly the guitars, which lay down many very catchy riffs, particularly on songs such as Shadow's Die and I am Bulletproof which lays a hard foundation for the songs, and the solos that are featured are also very impressive, with shredding a feature in most of them. The two guitars manage to provide some harmonies that are almost reminiscent of some Avenged Sevenfold, particularly on songs such as Wretched and Divine . The rest of the instruments are putting on good performances as well, with the drums providing some technical beats that are enjoyable, and the bass, when audible at least, has some moments in the album.

The next positive is one that will be debatable amongst the populace, the vocals, provided by Andy Biersack, they have improved, if anyone was to listen to the first album and then this one it is obvious, the range has improved, the tone has improved and the lyrics have improved, such as:

In The End as you fade into the night
Who will tell the story of your life
And who will remember your last goodbye
Cause its the end
And Im not afraid
I'm not afraid to die

Whilst some people will completely disagree with this, it is, in my opinion a step up from their previous releases. As a vocal performance on the album, they are more diverse, switching between soaring chorus and low solemn sounds as heard on Lost it All quickly.

However, the album is by no means perfect, there are flaws. For a starter, there are too many interludes, when promised a 19 track album it was disappointing to find that only 13 were real songs, the rest are either spoken words, or in the case of Overture a violin piece which, while enjoyable the first couple to times heard, will end up been skipped on later listens.

Another issue is lyrics, though, as said before, they have for the most part improved, there are still moments when they are stupid, such as in New Year's Day:

This is New Year's Day -so rise from the ashes

One final low is the concept, whilst a good idea in theory, the story doesn't come across on the album unless you really REALLY try to piece it together yourself, and even then, it only just makes sense. So for anyone who listens to the album and is unaware, the F.E.A.R. Transmissions are going to make no sense whatsoever.

So overall, Black Veil Brides have returned with their third album, which is, in my belief their best output to date, and whilst it won't appeal to a large population, for those who have enjoyed any of the bands previous outputs, or are fans of mainstream rock, this is worth a try.

Recommended tracks:

22034 Comments

here we go

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

January 7th 2013

I know that people don't like this, and it makes sense, there is a lot to hate, but I genuinly enjoy the band and this album, so thought Id put across what I thought.

slipnslide

Great review! Pos'd!

Thanks

January 7th 2013

dragoth: how old are you? serious question, not trying to poke fun

Im 18

January 7th 2013

18 and from north america?

18 and he still hasn't heard Earth or even Death I bet

January 7th 2013

well according his profile he's heard sabbath so that's good!

ninjedit

slipnslide

^^^favorite bands

Black Sabbath, Black Veil Brides,

January 7th 2013

Yeah I saw that and edited as quick as I could. He probably never listens to it though

20077 Comments

i didn't hear death till i was 27 better late than never

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

true atari thx

NeoSpaz
January 7th 2013

"Harmonies reminiscent of Avenged Sevenfold"

That's because they always harmonise to the same interval. Most mainstream hard rock bands do that.(Core bands included)

January 7th 2013

Death is a great band, and I haven't heard Earth and I put the harmony comment in because it reminded me of early Avenged such as City of Evil

And im from York

ButtsweatAndTears
January 7th 2013

"Harmonies reminiscent of Avenged Sevenfold"
Also intros and choruses reminiscent of Avenged Sevenfold as they blatantly steal from them.

fish.

22034 Comments

bet he hasn't even heard gybe

(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

York

ah well then this partial birth abortion of a review is not my problem