Morbid Saint
Spectrum of Death

by Drew Tyler USER (68 Reviews)
January 6th, 2013 | 22 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album will kick your ass and give you a headache.

This is an album I listened to five times straight when I finally got my hands on it. This is an album that’s so heavy, it gave me a goddamn headache, an album that stands the test of time to this very day, an album that single-handedly defines what it means to thrash. This is Morbid Saint, the heaviest ***ing band to come out of the thrash scene in the late 1980’s. This is the band’s first and last offering to the world, and although this is the only album they made, it still without a doubt made an impact on the late 80’s thrash scene.

Combining the heavy riffing of thrash metal with the harsh vocals of death metal, this thirty minute monster will satisfy even modern metal fans. The album’s strengths are heavy and compelling riffing, and expertly executed solos that sound frantic and angry. Vocals also sound evil and pissed off, and that fits the band’s aggressive style perfectly. Every instrument is played with speed and precision, and the band takes no prisoners with an attitude and extreme sound that gives them a certain unique style and sets them apart from other bands.

However, the album can become quite cumbersome, with repetitive riffing and repeated drum patterns being the main problem with the album. Although the band has at least two riffs and a solo in each track, this does little to make the album a varied listen. Expect heavy riffing and frantic soloing to be the only thing this album offers, as there aren't any tempo changes or stylistic transitions. The album also suffers from relatively poor production, as the album as a whole could have been a bit louder, and as it stands now, the album is in dire need of a mixing to iron out several production problems.

Still, if you’re content to just thrash and not care about variety and technicality, then this album is perfect for you. Despite some production flaws and some repetitive moments, this is still one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard, and it contains some of the most brutal riffs the genre has to offer. Seek this out of you’re a fan of extreme metal, as this album has it in ample supply.

Savatage Fight for the RockWitherscape The Inheritance
Blindead AbsenceArtillery Legions
Overkill I Hear BlackWhiplash Power and Pain
4.3
SlMBOLlC (5)
fuck you...

Spanky (5)
One of the fastest, heaviest, and greatest thrash metal albums ever released....

Dethtrasher (4.5)

January 5th 2013

nice review, sounds intriguing.

EDIT: damn this is their only album?

yeah sure is

January 5th 2013

just looked up the lyrics

"Scars, fuck you"

lol i wanna listen to this

January 5th 2013

haha yeah it can be pretty over the top lol

January 5th 2013

Can't remember for sure, but I remember the production could have been better on this.

Youtube'd Lock Up Your Children, enjoyed it a good deal

CK
January 6th 2013

Morbid Saint play thrash metal, and they play it very fast and very heavy. They're from Wisconsin and they never really got big, but they deserve tons of respect.

Digging: Death - Human

January 6th 2013

^ dude be careful, Tim LOVES Doritos!

RiffOClock
January 6th 2013

whats it like, writing the same review over and over

also u give out some pretty fucked up ratings, this is way better than a 3.5 and most of the shit u point peoples attention to

ffs

JamieTwort

Rules.

SgtPepper
January 6th 2013

A friend of mine introduced me to this a while back on vinyl, I had never heard it before but it was indeed a really great album to jam out. Good write-up on it, man, POS'd.

Jacquibim
January 6th 2013

Been meaning to listen to this.

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

Vrid
January 6th 2013

Dat nostalgia. This album kicked my ass pretty hard a couple of years ago. Like you said, the essence and very peak of thrash metal.

January 6th 2013

haha love you too riff, you never cease to amaze me with your poise and insight.

ShadowRemains