Lower Plenty
Hard Rubbish

by RiffOClock USER (12 Reviews)
January 5th, 2013 | 14 replies | 1,248 views

Review Summary: "In my mind you had no legs to stand on..."

Whatever Sarah meant by the line in the closer ’Close Enough’, it definitely doesn’t apply to Lower Plenty as the music on Hard Rubbish stands well on its own. Which is something of a miracle, really, considering the term ‘indie’ these days has become a pejorative for the faceless and spoiled Animal Collective crowd waving their Manchester Orchestra shirts at me at every corner. That’s not to say that the material found on Hard Rubbish borders on nothing short of groundbreaking, but its somber charm and irresistible aura of innocence and immediacy is a welcome change from the undeservingly pretentious stuff we’re all used to by now. What the hell happened to simple music? Can‘t we just forget our everyday struggles, shut out the urgent outside world and listen to a simple-minded song like ’Strange Beast’ that would make us throw our clenched fists into the air and dance around the campfire while repeating lines like "loneliness in the biggest killer of them all..."?

Hard Rubbish offers you such escape. Starting off with the moaning ordinary man anthem ‘Work in the Morning’, the record lets you know right away that no handkerchiefs or head scratching will be required. Gentle guitar plucking and instantly relatable lyrics wonderfully complement the somber but oddly joyful vocal harmonies between Sarah Heyward and Al Montfort. On Hard Rubbish, everything is laid out, nothing is hidden from view, partly also due to the delicate production that keeps things low key enough for us to drift away while still giving the smallest damn of what’s going on. The stripped nature of Hard Rubbish permeates its every facet, whether it’s the barely audible drum work in ‘Strange Beast’, lazy echo of the lonely guitar in Grass or the alt country-ish vibe rampant through ‘Dirty Flowers’. ‘Close Enough’ is the standout here, a slow-burning closer that wraps up the album in an oddly atmospheric manner, with thin cymbal crashes resonating through emotion-laden guitar feedback and repetitive acoustic strumming.

I guess reviews for albums like these should be topped off with the generic "album is human“ talk, but handing out any other status would not be doing it justice. Put this on, turn the volume down and hopefully the rubble displayed on the album cover is the last disturbing thing that you‘ll encounter here.

Shores (Michigan) LeaveningSocially Retarded / Sea of Shit Split
Sea of Shit DemoVVOVNDS DEMO1
Unohdettu Tulevaisuus Unohdettu TulevaisuusFuck Knowledge and Learning KVRSTLNACHT

yea... i went there

Keyblade
January 5th 2013

so....this is an indie album?

Digging: Phlebotomized - Immense, Intense, Suspense

January 5th 2013

well i can change it to black metal but...

Keyblade
January 5th 2013

didnt think you listened to indie...too sput

January 5th 2013

this aint ur average sput album

Tyrael

20724 Comments

you're on a roll man

Hep Kat

review 2 srs neg

Digging: Merchandise - After The End

January 5th 2013

next rvw will be anal cunt ill go cray

JamieTwort

19936 Comments

Sweet, another Riff review.

Review is well written, pos'd.

chambered99

Duster Stratosphere

i gotta check this out

good review man

Digging: Baton Rouge - Totem

January 5th 2013

its not really that similar to stratosphere but both share a few essential traits

GiaNXGX
January 5th 2013

Can‘t we just forget our everyday struggles, shut out the urgent outside world and listen to simple-minded songs? Yeah, don't kno whats happening, people just don't like to chill. Solid write-up. Place in World was fantastic btw, might buy that sexy cassette [:

kanecooper
May 14th 2013

this is really great stuff

JamieTwort