Artillery
By Inheritance

by Drew Tyler USER (68 Reviews)
January 5th, 2013 | 155 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Perhaps one of technical thrash metal's defining albums, By Inheritance shows a band on top of their game, with lots of talent and creativity.

Seen by many as the band’s defining and best album, By Inheritance showcases Artillery’s abilities like never before. In this album the band demonstrates just how technical they can be, with an indescribable amount of riffing and soloing jam packed into this 47 minute monster of an album. They also demonstrate an ability to mix speed with melody, and how to present it with an artistic flair never before seen from the band.

Artillery offers a very melodic and technical brand of thrash here, with a Middle Eastern style/theme in a good majority of the songs. The Instrumentals found here are very fast and energetic, but they do change the tempo when necessary, and they do so with very little repetition. There are several great solos placed in just the right places that aren't to short or long, and each song has many compelling and catchy riffs, so you get a lot of bang for your buck here. The drumming is also notably well executed with the technicality and speed you can expect with thrash. In short, each member gets a chance to show off their talents, and they do so with a kind confidence and charisma that borders on being contagious. The Track list is also exemplary, as the album holds my attention and the overall length is just right at 47 minutes.

However, the vocals can be a point of contention, as they aren't necessarily good or bad, but rather a hit or miss over the top style that may or may not fit your taste. Also, the opening intro isn't really needed and can be seen as more of a filler track than anything substantial, although it does introduce the band’s melodic Middle Eastern style that is ever present throughout the album. Production is adequate enough I suppose, but the overall volume of the record is slightly disappointing, as it isn't loud enough at times when I really want to jam. As I’m sure you can tell though, these are mostly small grievances that really don’t hurt the overall product significantly enough to warrant any real amount of panning.

Overall this is a fantastic offering from a band that was on the top of their game when they made it. This is quite possibly one of the best thrash albums the early 90’s has to offer, and even if your not a fan of thrash, I urge you to give this album a listen, as this will disappoint only the most picky of metal fans.