Theory Of A Deadman
Scars and Souvenirs

2.0
poor

by Toondude USER (29 Reviews)
January 4th, 2013 | 37 replies | 2,885 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nickelback cock worship.

Chad Kroeger has redefined mainstream music. Let’s face it, that right there is 100% fact no doubt. How exactly has he redefined it? Consider the statement that he made about not taking their music seriously, that right there just points out that he believes that music is in no way a form of art. The only reason why he makes music is to make sure that his wallet stays fat. How in any way a band like Theory of a Deadman is influenced by Nickelback and the horrid amount of sh*t that Kroeger has put out in the mainstream world is beyond baffling. There’s nothing about Nickelback that is so influential that people have to go and say, “I want to be like these guys.” However there is one strange thing about Theory of a Deadman in general, and that’s that ironically enough, I consider TOAD (yeah, because you want to like a band whose initials spell that) to be one of the few bands that are actually worse that Nickelback? Why exactly? Honestly there are a few reasons.

The one thing I will concede about TOAD is that in their 2008 album, Scars and Souvenirs, is that they at least try to establish a sense of atmosphere within this release. Again, how exactly do they do that? By adding guest singers of course, as if that is supposed to work in the first place. The reason why the songs So Happy and By the Way don’t work in the release is because both of the guest artists are nothing more than just back-up for Tyler Connelly’s horrendous vocals. You can barely compare both of the guest singers (Brent Smith from Shinedown and Chris Daughtry from Daughtry) from Tyler Connelly and they sound ridiculously similar, especially Daughtry’s (as if his vocals alone aren’t sh*tty enough). The instrumentation throughout the whole album is nothing more that the clichéd melodies, drumming and riffs that everyone in the mainstream audience has heard before. The song Never Meant to Be has a melody line that is extremely similar to certain country songs (preferably Taylor Swift) in which again, we’ve all heard of before. Much of the lyrics also contain clichéd content of how “you shouldn’t hate me even though I’m a bad person” which if anything sums up the whole album. Even so the song Bad Girlfriend ends up containing some of the most disturbing lyrics out of any song that I have ever listened to. It brags on how “my chick is a dick magnet” and how “she tries to shake her ass/she grinds it to the beat.” Seriously, it’s is one of the absolute worst songs ever made, even by Nickelback/TOAD standards.

Even so, some of the slower songs on the other had are probably the only decent ones. Heaven (Little by Little) if anything is probably the best song on the album aside from By the Way (putting Daughtry’s indescribable mixing of Connelly’s vocals aside). Both contain the typical clichéd lyrics and yet for some reason, the vocals of both are mixed in decently. Granted they could be a lot better, but it’s really the two songs that make any difference in this album. The only lyrics out of any track that I find entertaining are the ones in Hate My Life because it’s a song about…well, how Connelly hates his life (kind of fitting if you ask me).

Theory of a Deadman’s Scars and Souvenirs is everything you’d expect from them. Nickelback worship both musically and lyrically throughout the entire album. Granted if you are a fan of Nickelback and a lot of other mainstream music out there, then go ahead and listen to this album. Out of all honestly I can’t find really anything wrong if you are that type of person, and I won’t stop you. But a message to all other music lovers out there: stay away.

Dragonland Under the Grey BannerDragonland Holy War
Dragonland The Battle of the Ivory PlainsHaywyre Two Fold - Part I
Demon Hunter ExtremistThousand Foot Krutch Welcome to the Masquerade
2.3

Calc
January 3rd 2013

Couple things:

"Scars and Souvenirs will most likely please almost no one."

please revise this it reads horrible.

"which is how people of the female race are terrible."

females are distinguished from males by gender, not race.

"While they aren’t the worst band in the world, trying to become a band that has gotten way more attention than they could ever be isn’t really the way to approach the world as it is now."

what?

all in all read your review out loud and you could catch a lot of these.

January 3rd 2013

Reads second mistake

.....oops XP thanks for catching that

breakingthefragile
January 4th 2013

Wow, I'm really surprised this didn't have a review already.

melodeathgoddess
January 4th 2013

I absolutely hated this album. I only have one song and that's "By the Way". The rest of it is cheap, drunken rock n' roll and NOT the way it's supposed to be. They need to stop sniffing Nickelback's old records and try something new. Their vocalist has a lovely voice; put it to good use! Sadly, that will never happen.

TheSupernatural
January 4th 2013

I liked this album for a while, and still enjoy a couple songs on it. So Happy is pretty good (I saw
them live at a festival and the drummer sang way better than Tyler did). By the Way is possibly the
best song on the album. I like Crutch and Little Smirk a lot. And Hate My Life is just a fun song to
listen to. Most of the slow songs just irritate me though. And the new album... god it's terrible.
This deserves at least a 3 compared to the new one lol, even if it is derivative radio rock.

Digging: Cage Grind Noir - Pilots

Conorman11
January 4th 2013

really not sure why this band gets attention...

TheSupernatural
January 4th 2013

They know people and got rock radio airplay. That's really all they have going for them.

January 15th 2013

@Conorman11 Nickelback got them a record deal at Roadrunner Records...unfortunately.

Conorman11
January 16th 2013

I actually knew that...

Damn you nickelback, you strike again.

slipnslide
February 10th 2013

bump

February 12th 2014

I found this album to be pretty entertaining to be honest. This band has potential if they ever decide to break out of the radio rock sound trap. The lyrics can be downright hilarious sometimes.

"I Hate My Life" really is a great middle age anthem though.

Digging: Black Veil Brides - Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones

February 12th 2014

Yeah, I'll admit, "Hate My Life" is pretty entertaining.

February 12th 2014

My favorite tracks on this are; By the Way, Hate My Life, Heaven (Little By Little), Little Smirk and So Happy.

Green Baron
February 12th 2014

I liked "Hate My Life" back in elementary school. That and the banal "Not Meant to Be".

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

Futures

bad band

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails

February 12th 2014

I really didn't like Not Meant to Be, I listen to this band mostly for the vocals and the lyrics.

February 12th 2014

I'm thinking of rewriting this...but I don't know yet.

February 12th 2014

Would be a good idea to be honest, it seems a little unprofessional.

March 26th 2014

Finally I managed to get up off of my ass to rewrite this piece of crap.

Criticism is welcome as always.

April 12th 2014

Better than before but I still disagree hard, mainly because I dig the vocals.