Green Day
iTRE!

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
January 3rd, 2013 | 55 replies | 18,959 views

Review Summary: Green Day bring their trilogy of albums to a close with an anthemic bang, but above all, a surprisingly different album for the band.

In retrospect, the first two installments in Green Day’s trilogy of stripped down punk rock albums had distinct qualities about them that distinguished them from each other even while both albums were simple in nature at face value. ¡Uno! was arguably the furthest the band had ever delved into power pop and bubblegum pop punk, while ¡Dos! on the other hand, was Green Day’s first ever late night party record in a way, and reeked with the Clash-inspired grime of UK garage rock that the band had previously ventured further into with their alter ego side-band, Foxboro Hot Tubs. While both were the same straight-forward punk rock at heart that’s been Green Day’s signature for years, the two were decorated as complete opposites, which raises the question as to what the concluding part of the trilogy, ¡Tré!, sounds like.

¡Tré! appropriately acts as a grand finale to the trilogy, demonstrated well by kicking off the album with a grandiose opening track that’s just as well suited to be the albums ending track. Clocking in 5 seconds shy of a 5 minute runtime, - not to mention significantly longer than any track off of both ¡Uno! and ¡Dos!, except for ¡Uno!’s closer “Oh Love” - the swaying punk rock power ballad “Brutal Love” gives a first impression that ¡Tré! may potentially serve as Green Day’s arena rock album, but listeners will find that ¡Tré! actually proves to be the most varied album in the trilogy.

Though it still has its share of epic anthems by Green Day’s standards, the most standout of which being the over 6 minutes long theatrical foot-stomper “Dirty Rotten Bastards”, ¡Tré! also sees string elements implemented into the piano-driven album closer “The Forgotten", features the sunny and delicate acoustically-structured piece “Drama Queen”, and all around has a certain clarity and refined edge to the production that makes these songs more akin to alternative rock than any number on any past Green Day album.

¡Tré! actually has a much more uplifting and cheerful spirit in general than the preceding entries in the trilogy. It’s not sugary and brattish like ¡Uno!, and it’s nothing like the coarse dinginess of ¡Dos!, but the all around chipper mood is all that really connects this album together, because while its diversity is more than welcome in the last album of the trilogy, ¡Tré! never really feels like it has a consistent theme of its own that identifies it, like the ones ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! each possessed.

Even if it's somewhat inconsistent in doing so, ¡Tré! explores avenues of its own that makes it unique and clearly sets it apart from the band’s albums that came before it both in the trilogy it’s apart of, and Green Day’s discography in general. It has an almost reflective tone that reminisces on the trilogy-long journey, stumbles and all, and works appropriately as a grand and anthemic way to close the curtain on the trilogy with a triumphant stride that leaves behind a feeling of even better things to come in the future. Most importantly though, it’s the first album in the trilogy that acts as if it’s an album of its own, and not just apart of a series.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.8
good

January 3rd 2013

I reviewed both ¡Uno! and ¡Dos! already, so I figured that with no new releases coming
out this week, I might as well review ¡Tré! as well. My end of the year list should be up
tomorrow, and I plan on spending the rest of this week covering some albums of 2012 that didn't get
any reviews on the site. Enjoy!

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

demigod!
January 3rd 2013

i almost forgot about this piece of shit trilogy, damn.

Digging: Black Flag - My War

bach

11934 Comments

Tre is actually worth a listen, demi.

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

NocteDominum
January 3rd 2013

Hey man you hit 60 review, took you long enough.

January 3rd 2013

@IpodMastery Cheers man, thanks for the congratulation. And haha, back when I first joined the site in
April I expected to have well over 100 reviews by now, stuff comes up though. One of my new years
resolutions was to be as consistent as I initially planned on being now that it's a new year and I've
had a lot of experience with the site and writing reviews.

RetroSpective
January 3rd 2013

I agree with pretty much all your points, great review. Pos'd

NocteDominum
January 3rd 2013

True that, and the holiday break wouldve slowed you down too. Maybe osoon youll catch up to me .

January 3rd 2013

You never know man. Regardless though, I'm excited to start a new year as a part of the community.

Also, thanks Retro!

insomniac15
January 3rd 2013

Great write-up, pos. I do agree this album is slightly more experimental and most likely a direction they'll take for future records (X-Kid, Walk Away) or at least I hope so. Tre! feels more accomplished than the other counterparts, however I think they should've left out Dirty Rotten Bastards. It only reminds me of Jesus Of Suburbia and how this song is just devoid of any story or meaning.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

SgtPepper
January 3rd 2013

Good work, Alex. I've never been much for Green Day though besides maybe a song or two. POS'd.

RobbaqPL
January 3rd 2013

Yup, Dirty Rotten Bastards is just all over the place, and not in a good way. But overall this is probably the best of the three albums, Brutal Love and X-Kid are actually pretty cool songs.

Deviant.
January 3rd 2013

I kinda feel that, with the review coming a few weeks after the release, that this would work better as a retrospective - "which raised the question as to what the concluding part of the trilogy, iTre!, would sound like"

Other than that, good review as always

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

20723 Comments

Beebe pls

Brostep
January 3rd 2013

Good review, have a pos. Obligatory "green day lol" comment goes here

skoopy48
January 3rd 2013

Best of trilogy. Kinda forgot this whole thing happened

Gwyn.
January 3rd 2013

Lol I completely forgot about that these albums even existed.

Digging: Buzzov-en - Sore

ChopSuey
January 3rd 2013

you know an album is average when everyone forgets about it a month later

RetroSpective
January 3rd 2013

Those album covers will be forever ingrained in my memory

TrantaLocked
January 13th 2013

Demigod93, I had a dream I met Larry David, but when I approached him I asked "Hi, excuse me, are you
Jerry Seinfeld?" He said yes, and then I shook his hand three times XD

I remember telling him that his show is hilarious and that it is my favorite show on HBO.