Xanthochroid
Incultus

by Robert Garland USER (199 Reviews)
January 2nd, 2013 | 20 replies

Review Summary: A short foray into depth, rivalled by the band’s own creativity; showing that there is some merit in doing things the right way.

Incultus is an enriching listen, full of dark, light shown between a contrast of major and minor chords combined with diligent song-writing that is only going to see this well-rehearsed act extend on their already proven prowess and take the metal world by storm. This five track EP highlights the beginning of Xanthochroid’s career all in the space of thirty-six minutes. It might need to be noted however that this isn’t simply the accessible cheese of a symphonic metal band. Xanthochroid displays some very distinct elements thrown together in a vibrant display of instrumental talent and intelligent song-writing. At first the sound of a ‘symphonic black metal band’ may put a few off but give this a go, allow the ’you’ to be taken in by this tumultuous tumble. Despite the genre mash-up (even more than usual) this isn’t a simple gimmick. There is a depth to the soundscapes found on Incultus that allows the listener to be fully immersed in this genre crossover without having cheese poured over their heads. The music can be folk-y at times with a use of flutes but mostly the record blends an array of key and acoustic instruments to blend the symphonic and black metal aesthetics together.

Sighting influences from the likes of Opeth, Moonsorrow, Wintersun, and Emperor listeners can expect that there will be a wide array of sounds here. Fortunately though it’s not as simple as saying that track such and such is an Opeth/Wintersun track; instead Xanthochroid have combined their influences to create a revitalising sound, pretty much of their own making. The usual black metal aesthetics of raspy vocals and blast beats punch through the listeners’ senses but in turn each heavy section is off-set by that of a clean piano trill or quiet acoustic guitar. That is, before the EP kicks off an up-beat section full of triplet riffs and ringing chords backed by some steady if not predictable bass and drum work. There is a slightly under-produced sound found in the mixing that hurts the overall outcome of the record (but very slightly as the rest of the record shines through with a lot of promise). At times this ‘static’ sound does improve on the album’s atmosphere but for the most part this short record could really use that ‘million dollar’ production, allowing for every instrumental component to shine through and take mass effect. Another note to be made about Incultus is the fact that the album feels like it’s leading into something on a contextual basis. Sure the lyricall themes presented here come full circle, but for all it’s worth somebody didn’t quite connect the start with the finish.

Overall, Xanthochroid’s Incultus promotes just how some genres can clash than come together in a stunningly vibrant way. The final track ‘The Last Relic of Axen (8 Bit)’ comes a little out of place as it’s techno stylings seem at odds with the rest of the EP; even when compared to the original track – it is sure to leave the listener scratching their heads for it is as much of a turn off as the rest of the album is innovative. It may just be an EP but with enough depth to be the beginnings of a very positive full-length, Xanthochroid pushes on boundaries already explored and makes something almost unique from it. The EP’s problems may be few and far between and minimal in nature but they are something to be worked out on another release. Keep in mind that this is the first offering from a new to the scene group, and expectations for what may come next can be justified. Xanthochroid show much in the way of promise and in turn are sure to build hype for themselves.

Abstracter Wound EmpireEden Circus Marula
In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Jackalos (5)
A cinematic black metal release with fantastic execution...

Blessed He With Boils

January 2nd 2013

Yep, worked my way back from Blessed He With Boils.

January 2nd 2013

Wow dude, that was quick. You heard this El Capitano?

January 2nd 2013

Thanks broCaps, this needs a couple moar rates tho, too bad it's just a sausage fest for two so fars.

January 2nd 2013

I like mine wrinkly, like a chorizo for example.

January 2nd 2013

Why is lunch so far away?

January 2nd 2013

If that's a fridge than yes. Sup Flutter?

January 2nd 2013

If you like this than you might like the Of Pots and Pans list I just put up.

January 2nd 2013

Eh close enough. I'll be back in a bits.

needs more rates guys.

Yes mate, that's theSpirit ; ]

MatthewEarl
January 5th 2013

Incultus is underproduced and blessed he with boils is overproduced? God dammit lol

January 6th 2013

Lol wat?

January 28th 2013

I like this about as much as I like Blessed He With Boils. Extremely impressive stuff considering it's the first thing the band has ever created.

January 28th 2013

Hey man, you going through my reviews now lol? Not that i mind of course.

It's a possibility

January 28th 2013

kk, all goods lol. Find anything you like?

January 28th 2013

Found some cool looking stuff I haven't heard before that I'll probably be checking out.

January 28th 2013

Yeah i try to balance out the mainstream with the not so much

January 28th 2013

Elysian Blaze is the main one I want to check out, love Funeral Doom and Black Metal so I should probably love that. (I'll also admit that the first thing that usually draws me to check a band out that I haven't heard before is the album art, and I loved the album art on Blood Geometry)

Do I have some rec's for you : ]