Paradise Found
Foundations

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (198 Reviews)
December 30th, 2012 | 36 replies

Review Summary: My father taught me many things…

Hailing from the Newcastle region of NSW, Australia this melodic hardcore five piece stay true to some very solid roots and in turn, present the beginnings of a very promising career. The above is a segmented quote from what most see as a masterpiece in filming, if you can’t pull the pieces together have a look at the fourth track title; ‘I Am Mafia’, think of the family business, and how this particular five-piece will always have each other’s backs. If you still haven’t figured out this classic movie think; “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer”. Got it? Good, now back to the music at hand. Paradise Found knows what works – there’s little in the way of guitar wankery or shoe gaze experimentation, just some well-practiced straightforward hardcore grooves. Music like this is made for a reason, it’s to get people moving – this is music made for a live setting. In a short time this local act has been accredited with this release and the coinciding gig being a sell out all in the hopes of a full-length come 2013.

First impressions for listeners’ may indeed just be ‘another one’ but try to define them; plagued by acts from the same country in the likes of Parkway Drive, Northlane, In Hearts Wake – the list goes on… Paradise Found don’t really have the same tendencies to sound like a recycled act, instead this five-piece bring different aspects to the writing board to create a revitalising attempt at hardcore drenched metalcore. All your typical features are there, make no mistake this has your strained yells, screamed passages and some well-placed cleans all courtesy of Mr Audie C. but with the inclusion of the occasional gang vocals Foundations is brought to a whole new live setting. Crowds know where they can chant along joining in with the band. Frankly, it’s a nice touch, showing that this vibrant group can connect with their fans at an even more intimate level.

Despite having similar structures, the songs themselves don’t blend into each other. This is a good thing, this twenty-one minute EP doesn’t outstay its welcome, with never a dull moment highlighting just how this young group are willing to test themselves and for the most part listeners’ are at the final track before they know it (fittingly called ‘The End Of The Story’). There is enough in the way of contrast to maintain the attention of the listener without having to use little gimmicky phrases or cheese. Tracks like ‘I am Mafia’ bring together most of the band’s influences; the track itself is equal parts clean, breakdown and melodic lead. Rung out chords and strong percussion work are the back bone of this song and where the track slows down it draws the listener into a screamed yet minimalistic interlude allowing the track to crescendo back into a natural structure.

Overall this local talent from Newcastle have a long way ahead of them; thankfully they’ve just built an extremely solid platform on which to build on. Despite being roughly twenty minutes long Paradise Found have managed to fit in some quality material without conforming to being yet another Parkway Drive clone. Compared to a lot of other melodic hardcore acts Paradise Found have a lot of things going for them, one being a steady fan-base that’s building from live shows – another is the fact that they are home grown, paying homage to the fans that are helping them grow. In contrast to how the EP ends this is not ‘the end of the story’ for this talented group of musicians.

Eden Circus MarulaIn Flames Siren Charms
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut

Bandpage;

Title track - 'Foundations'

Voyager;

Looks like Dev jumped onto the artwork train, thanks man.

December 30th 2012

How we doing sputnik? Do me a favour jump onto facebook, like their page, listen to music, bang your head.

Voivod
December 30th 2012

I can't seem to find a track list for this one...

Digging: Alkoholizer - Free Beer... Surf's Up!!!

sixdegrees
December 30th 2012

digging the title track. I don't enjoy a lot of recent metalcore but my first impression of these guys is good.

Digging: yasumiyasumi - Tokyo Digital Love

December 30th 2012

I can't seem to find a track list for this one...

I put one up, just awaiting the approval, thanks man. Notice I added some links for you to follow - that was your making man.

Yeah I myse;lf moved away from metalcore recently, but these guys show a connection with a live show which brings them back. Also the album artwork and such is done by the band too.

December 30th 2012

Good review as always, have a pos. If you'd like more detailed criticism from yours truly, just say something and I'll give it. As for the band, I may check it out but screamed vocals have never been my thing.

December 30th 2012

Also I love the phrase "guitar wankery"

Also I love the phrase "guitar wankery

Too bad 'wankery's' not a word hey.

Brostep bud, just cause i'm 100 reviews in doesn't mean i can't improve, I'm always open for some suggestion. : ]

Deviant.
December 30th 2012

I put one up, just awaiting the approval,

Nothing in the approval queue

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

Nothing in the approval queue

I'll try again, thanks Dev.

Edit; try now.

Deviant.

Got 'em, cheers

Thanks Dev.

December 30th 2012

All right, here goes then:

region of NSW, Australia this melodic

Could use a comma after "Australia."

Good. I wish I could come up with sentence ideas like this more often, but it'll come with time I suppose.

You talk about Godfather a little too long for my liking - maybe cut that section down a little? Also, rhetorical questions like "Got it?" are usually a no-go in my book.

shoe gaze should be shoe-gaze or shoegaze (I'm not sure which is right).

I have no idea what this sentence means, maybe some revision to make it clearer?

Could use a rewrite. If I were doing it I'd say something like "Many listeners' first impressions may indeed be that Paradise Found are just "another one..."

1. should be "brings." 2. "different" isn't really the right word. Maybe "new," "unusual," "not-often-used?"

make no mistake this has your strained yells,

Should have a comma after "mistake."

December 30th 2012

for the most part listeners’ are at the final track

Should have no apostrophe there.

This is good. Short and right to the point, plus I love it when "cheese" is used in a review haha

1. Hyphen isn't helpful, maybe "...that's continually building from live shows, another being the fact that..." Actually, maybe "have a lot of things going for them, like blah blah blah and blah blah blah" would be better.
2. After "ends" there should be a comma.

Very solid fourth paragraph, one of the best non-staff paragraphs I've read here in a little while. Overall good work!

Also lol @ the fact that "This comment is too long"

December 30th 2012

I gave the band a listen but I just don't have much of a tolerance for metalcore (I hope I'm using that word right). I mean screams and breakdowns aren't really my thing, but these guys are better than a lot of the shitty bands my friends show me if that means anything.

December 30th 2012

Also lol @ the fact that "This comment is too long"

Should tell you something lol, a couple of those were simply Word being a dick, but most of the other points you made are pretty spot on cheers man. I'll go through and revise a couple of those spots.

Pos'd

gd to see you venturing into diff genres

you brought some good points in the review too, gd job

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

gd to see you venturing into diff genres

Lol man, take a look at my first 15 reviews or so.

December 30th 2012

haha oic, I didn't know you too well then and you're right, looking through your reviews I see that you touched many genres, my apologies

December 30th 2012

looking through your reviews I see that you touched many genres, my apologies

Not really my point man, i was just pointing out that metalcore was more-or-less where i started here at Sputnik. lol