Massacra
Final Holocaust

by sideburndude USER (2 Reviews)
December 28th, 2012 | 30 replies | 2,302 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ripping

Upon the close of the 1980s, the groundwork of extreme metal has already been set firmly within the soil of releases by Death, Possesed, Morbid Angel, and countless other thrash and early death metal bands. Many bands now released albums influenced by by these early pioneers and the ground was set for further development within the genre. One of these bands who realised their potential within extreme metal is Massacra, with their debut album, Final Holocaust.

The album opens up with an operatic sample which is rather surprising to hear immediately, but soon after this introduction ends we are introduced to what is the meat of the album; an endless barrage of savage riffs, punctuated by numerous tempo changes and a direct drum attack. Above this onslaught of guitar, lies the extremely aggressive and harsh vocals which retains more of a rasp than an all out growl, but still sounds heavy enough to match the guitars and bring them out. The drum performance is varied and powerful, it locks in with the guitars to create immense heaviness and it may occasionally wander, adding variety and depth. Unfortunately there is very little presence of bass guitar which may leave the guitars sounds fairly thin at times, but thankfully this does not alter the fantastic songwriting present which is the strongest point of the album. While the lyrics may be poor at times and the production sounds weak nothing can stop the ever pressing speed and thunder present in the whiplash inducing compositions, the riffs in Apocalyptic Warriors, Eternal Hate and The Day Of Massacra are especially strong and are examples of technical playing executed in an almost flawless manner. Melodies are present and are a strong point and again, written proficiently.

While this is not a very influential or experimental release, and it may not have many memorable or stand out moments, its quality is impossible to deny as a well executed death metal album that is still able to stand among other greats within the genre.

sideburndude
December 27th 2012

After about two and a half years as a user I finally decide to write a review
I don't consider myself a writer but this one needed a review
album rocked my socks

December 27th 2012

I've had this on my computer for a while but haven't heard it yet. Perhaps I will do now.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

ShadowRemains

20521 Comments

slays

Geadom
December 28th 2012

Short review, but (somehow) informative, pos. This band is EXTREEEEEME, if i remember well. They is really brutal IIRC.

TheSpirit
December 28th 2012

Good review mang! Always glad to see another user
who is a fan of the old school

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Madbutcher3
December 28th 2012

Finally this got a review. great album.

Wizard

19328 Comments

Agreed with Spirit. Sometimes, an album of quality just needs a review to do it justice and doesn't need some hyperbolic dribble.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

Passname
December 28th 2012

This slays p hard. Doesn't sink in till multiple listens and attention to detail.

Hawks
December 28th 2012

It's about time this got a review. Album rules.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

jesuslover46

April 10th 2013

lol one page of comments

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

April 11th 2013

best live performance I've ever seen

Eunuch

one page of comments [2]

Geadom
May 2nd 2013

this band RIPS. I heard a couple albums a long time ago, prepare your ears for unadultered, FURIOUS raping thrash / death

Eunuch
May 2nd 2013

This album is like a waterfall. But instead of a constant stream of water, it's a constant stream of mindbending riffs. A rifffall.

Hawks

Yeah.

ok

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

DrHouseSchuldiner
May 2nd 2013

Only Know massacre so ...

DikkoZinner