Marilyn Manson
Antichrist Superstar

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
December 25th, 2012 | 37 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Harshly crafted, top-notch industrialized metal, with excellent production from Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Manson doesn't let his image get in the way of his music on Antichrist Superstar.

As I wonder back to when I may have liked this type of music more, I see that it still has some nostalgic value left to chew off. It has that mildly unpleasant aftertaste that sores a bit, seeing that bands like Marilyn Manson are now dazed and confused. The music these angsty bands make is now shadowed by hanging onto a past that doesn’t really play off of their music well. Manson’s image has clouded his ability for making albums like Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood, but that can be excused with seeing the amount of guts it must have taken to make them.

Antichrist Superstar (and don’t be fooled by the name) is Manson in his leading status- quo. His music was some of the harshest industrialized metal of that time, with singles like “The Beautiful People” doing more than just scraping the charts. Manson’s music pushed buttons, and though his methods at times seemed rather questionable, he came around with some of the best counter-arguments to back his logical reasoning up. That kind of intelligence can only help the music he made, which wasn’t exactly philosophical, but admittedly deep-thinking ... Yet, only within certain moments.

As we all know, Manson didn’t seem to really wish for Trent Reznor’s status as a fatherly figure. He produced Antichrist Superstar, and the production is excellent. It’s an obvious and vital part to the album, but Manson didn’t need Trent’s guidance in order to make truly great music. It was welcome, but it wasn’t necessary at the same time. Manson was a big boy, and he could prove it with some of the arena-rockers he cranked out. “Irresponsible Hate Anthem” showcases Manson’s flair for doing this. At the beginning Manson can be heard saying “When you are suffering, know that I have betrayed you”. The sickening line conveys fear and disgust, and it can be heard at the conclusion of the album as well. Manson then begins the absolutely insane chanting of “We hate love / we love hate”, and then a guitar beckons squeakily, as an original, ear-splitting guitar chord pounding ensues.

Manson croaks lines of America having lost its ways. The roar of the simplistic, but gleefully shouted “*** it” shreds his vocals. He sourly spits out, “Everybody’s someone else’s ******/ I know you are, but so am I / I wasn’t born with enough middle fingers / I don’t need to choose a side”, he screeches as, the song wheels to a stop and transitions into “The Beautiful People”, which platforms Trent’s tremendous production techniques, with cutting guitar chopping and tribal drum hammering pulling you into a mosh of your own.

The production is superbly crafted into all songs on the album, and though the guitars sound more like buzzing vacuum cleaners, than the expected mass murders/serial killers wielding chainsaws, Manson’s music and messages cannot possibly be ignored on this album. Manson presents messages of fighting censorship, racism, and organized religion in an angsty, but deeply compelling way. Antichrist Superstar is a cleverly organized rock-opera, chock-full of industrial metal, made for the ages. I can comfortably call some of these songs timeless, because in twenty more years or so, Marilyn Manson could be called one of the greatest shock-rockers ever to make music, similar to Alice Cooper, or David Bowie. Go ahead, murder me.

THEESatisfaction awE naturalEKendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
Nirvana In UteroA Perfect Circle Thirteenth Step
Korn KornConverge Petitioning the Empty Sky

SirPhil
December 25th 2012

Pos, good review. Manson kinda stopped functioning after Holy Wood, but this album is actually pretty sweet. made me wanna listen to it again.

insomniac15
December 25th 2012

This only reminds me how bad he needs to make one heavy record at least for the last time. Good timing with the review, pos.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria

dragoth

Love this album, second only to Holy Wood

insomniac15
December 25th 2012

Golden Age Of Grotesque is a solid album. I really like John 5's heavy riffs, but Manson lacks substance in his lyrics on that record.

Tyrael

20876 Comments

John 5 fucking rocks on the golden age

nice review

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

FirstLucidDream
December 25th 2012

Great review, posed. Manson should've stopped after Golden Age.

MiniatureHorse
December 25th 2012

Nostalgia trip. Damn good album.

December 25th 2012

Thanks for all who pos'd. Really appreciate it.

Spag
December 25th 2012

sweet review, i still love this album trilogy

Digging: Nagelfar - Srontgorrth

December 25th 2012

Thank you very much. Yeah I love this trilogy as well, and I don't really hate his other work. Many people despise it, but I just consider it somewhat mediocre compared to albums like Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood.

DominionMM1
December 25th 2012

review is good, record is meh.

Thanks

ThrashTillDeath94
December 26th 2012

Summary is spot on, as is the rest of your review. Pos'd

LocustGrove
December 26th 2012

Great review. The album is pretty good, but I used to like it a lot more. Maybe I need to give this a
spin today. Pos'd

greg84
December 26th 2012

Solid review of an awesome album. Pos'd.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

BigPleb
December 26th 2012

Never gave Manson a chance, may give this a go

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

December 26th 2012

Don't check out his later stuff, but definitely check this out if you want to listen to Manson. This is him in his prime.

ThrashTillDeath94
December 26th 2012

He lost me after Hollywood honestly.. although the Golden Age of Grotesque had a couple good tracks.

Minus.
December 26th 2012

Ive never been a big fan, but I did like a few tracks off of this and MA.

December 26th 2012

Yeah Mechanical Animals' production wasn't as smooth and crisp, but in terms of writing and such, it was better than Antichrist Superstar. The instrumentation on a lot of tracks is surprising, and "I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me)" used to be my jam.