Joanna Newsom
Ys

by Brendan Schroer STAFF
December 20th, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,654 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In a league of its own.

"Ys" is a mythical French city supposedly off the coast of Brittany (around France's northwestern area); according to legend, it eventually got swallowed up by the ocean, never to be seen again. It's odd to find such a fitting musical analogy to this "event," and yet Joanna Newsom's album of the same name is able to fit that same description. As the legendarily lost city was swallowed up, unsuspecting listeners get consumed in the album's incredible artistry and a folk voice matched by few singers in this generation. Look at the album cover; Newsom appears to be coming off as a bit innocent, with a a chirpy atmosphere to boot. The music, though, is a refreshingly different story. Ys is an illustrious blend of folk, baroque-period classical music, and a vibe almost befitting of a musical. The harpist/singer herself is obviously the star of the show, but is accompanied by a vast of array of wonderfully orchestrated string backdrops that assist in breathing even more life into her pieces. The result is an incredibly varied, highly emotive record, mere steps away from being an all-out masterpiece.

Indeed, the album may seem simplistic at first glance, but it soon becomes a thrilling tapestry of intricate instrumental work and fascinating narratives. Newsom's harp playing is able to weave itself in and out of the backing instruments, creating multiple moments of tension and release. "Cosmia," aptly titled, displays these very moments perfectly, particularly near the first instance of its climax; Newsom's free-flowing lyricism betrays her harp playing rhythmically (talk about multitasking!), ironically arousing interest as to what she and her string section will do next, what their next move will be. It's as if Newsom represents a film's moody nature; through song, she can illustrate conflicts and resolutions, narratives with twists and turns, and so forth. What sets her so far apart from her contemporaries, however, is her voice. Think of it as Bjork-meets-Appalachia-meets-jazz. Sound weird? Well, it's just as unique as you'd imagine it would be. The way Newsom's vocal style blends in almost perfectly with the music she's playing is remarkable; in a song like "Monkey and Bear," she's able to set a slightly melancholic tone that's both pretty and a touch unsettling. Songs like "Emily" and "Sawdust and Diamonds" are able to put her voice more in the spotlight, her flaws and characteristics only further adding to the mysterious natural qualities of her style. The most notable thing, however, is how she sings at the songs' climaxes; these moments capture her at her most unrestrained, vocal "cracks" and all. Even with the technical flaws of her voice, it's near-impossible not to deny the passion and raw energy her singing provides.

When mixing both the vocal work and the instrumentation, you have a match made in heaven, right? Well, unfortunately, there are a few missteps along the way. While the intricacies of these songs are great, sometimes they can be a bit too ambitious. There will be occasions where you'll want to take a break from the album due to how much is going on at once, and things get a little cluttered sometimes. The other thing is that a few dull patches in the middle cause some of the songs to overstay their welcome, mainly in the 17-minute "Only Skin." The song is still well-crafted, but there's just the feeling that some segments are somewhat unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.

What works on this album, however, works unbelievably well. Joanna Newsom was poised to show the world what she was really capable of, and it definitely shows. Ys may not be perfect, but it's so close that you likely won't bother with its flaws. It just shows how well a combination of disparate musical styles can work if a truly ambitious poet and musical artist sets out to meld them together.

Soundtrack Mega Man X5 OSTSteel Panther All You Can Eat
Shakira Shakira.Death Symbolic
So-Cal Rocket Dynamics Too Bad She Won't LiveCarnifex Die Without Hope
4.2
Sapertime (5)
Beautifully executed folk/indie album that is as amazing as it is avante garde....

J Templin (5)
The Southern Gothic tradition continued....

Lewis P. STAFF (4.5)
The system of strings tugs on the tip of my wings....

Chrisjon89
December 20th 2012

Looks good man. Album rules super hard. I saw her live and it was magical.

Only Skin is perfect for the whole duration to me.

Digging: Elizabeth Rose - Elizabeth Rose

Lucid
December 20th 2012

This woman is amazing, Have One On Me is close to my favorite album of all-time. I need to see her live next year. Sweet review btw.

Digging: Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Activista anti-MTV
December 20th 2012

Wow, cool review. Will check out your others!

ThroneOfAgony
December 20th 2012

I didn't enjoy this actually

dylantheairplane

Cosmia is perfection

demigod!
December 20th 2012

ive been told this is really good, but it doesnt sound like my kinda thing. sweet review though. I never knew about Ys being some mythic city. neat.

ILJ
December 20th 2012

Great review. I can see why people love this, it's definitely refreshing as you put it, but I just can't get into it. Her voice is a bit annoying for me.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

NocteDominum
December 20th 2012

You trying to catch up Brendan? Noticed you've moved into more of a rock territory as apposed to the metal stuff you were focused on lol.

This album's prettty good. Haven't decided between a 4 or a 4.5 yet. Good review have a pos man.

Good review, I fucking love this! Joanna Newsom is the shizzy

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

FiveLeavesLeft

\m/

11909 Comments

And goddamn is she gorgeous, wow.

11909 Comments

Alright, I admit it I'm in love with her.

DrHouseSchuldiner

Gotta check

11909 Comments

So talented, writes such beautiful music.

FiveLeavesLeft