Emphemetry
A Lullaby Hum For Tired Streets

by Machines Are On The Ryes USER (4 Reviews)
December 17th, 2012 | 9 replies

Review Summary: “What more can a window say?” ~ A Lullaby Hum For Tired Streets is a window into a small town. However, having tested it out on a late-night walk through my busy suburbs, it seems to work marvelously well here too.

Emphemetry is Richard Berkin, a member of the post-hardcore band Crash of Rhinos. I was naturally a bit surprised at first listen. Needless to say, it is nothing like Crash of Rhinos. It is a mix of ambient, folk and post-rock that comes across as bittersweet and contemplative. While I say mix, it is not quite an even mix and is mostly ambient folk, with occasional soft post-rock flourishes.

After the instrumental opener that begins the album quite well comes “Four Million Silhouettes,” perhaps my favorite song on the album. It is mostly Berkin’s soft voice singing a folksy, somewhat sad melody accompanied by an acoustic guitar. The lyrics of the song are about looking through windows and seeing silhouettes of people, and are very well written. It is a very simple song, and communicates the overall emotion of the album quite well.

One of the most diverse songs on the album is "Francis Thompson," the longest track, consisting of a simple picked guitar and Berkin's sad vocals, with drums coming in within a few minutes and increasing the tempo and volume. The song then builds for a while, with a piano playing a rhythmic melody. The song then returns to the picking guitar and eventually fades out into ambience.

One other stand-out track is “So Long, Magic Helper.” It starts out with a picked guitar, and once again a sad folksy tune sung by Berkin. Afterwards comes “Houses, Empty as Holes,” a short acappella song incorporating beautiful harmonies. Finally, after “Emilelodie,” a piano tune that fades out into ambient electronics, comes “Isaac’s Dream Of Tired Streets,” a perfect closing song. The lyrics speak about walking home in the night, and how every little thing you notice seems to have meaning.

Emphemetry has created a beautiful first album that deserves a listen by fans of ambient folk. The constant motif about walking at night rings a chord with me especially, because that is one of my favorite things to do when I have nothing to do. Perhaps you’ll try it out sometime. If you do, this album is a great companion.

recommended by reviewer
T E Morris We Were Animals

December 17th 2012

lol, kind of a pitiful first review, i'm obviously a newb, but I just love this album, and it seemed a
good place to start.

name your price on bandcamp: http://emphemetry.bandcamp.com/album/a-lullaby-hum-for-tired-streets

December 17th 2012

it is quite short, but I have always appreciated brevity in reviews, myself.

CK
December 17th 2012

Good for a first review. I have never heard of this band, and that album cover is mighty purty. Gonna listen at some point. I also love your avatar, Fleet Foxes is awesome

December 17th 2012

Thanks, and ya it is a beautiful picture.

Fleet Foxes is amazing

December 17th 2012

The Chariot is one of my favorite bands, so that's gotta count for something.

December 17th 2012

Just realized this album reminds me a lot of the solo record from Her Name is Calla's T E Morris. Also a name your price on bandcamp, and definitely deserves a review.

North0House2
December 18th 2012

Really great review for a first, and a fantastic album as well. I'm quite impressed by it thus far.

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies

January 21st 2013

Who are these people that post comments and then delete them, leaving me with like 5 posts in a row?

September 29th 2014

Weather is getting cold. Time to give this album ten or twenty listens.