L'Orange
The Mad Writer

by Cultclassical USER (52 Reviews)
December 12th, 2012 | 62 replies

Review Summary: A destined marriage of old and new...

Some ideas are so novel, so original, so good, that given the correct amount of effort and expertise, cannot fail. In music this concept can be described the proverbial holy grail some artists strive for yet few rarely achieve. Hip-hop artist L’Orange harbors one such idea and with The Mad Writer displays a ton of potential for his sound while simultaneously showing his expertise as a producer.

The Mad Writer is essentially an instrumental hip-hop record with light jazzy influences, but where L’Orange struck gold is with his theme. Every song is infused with a 1940’s-1950’s era feel. Spoken word samples from the era are utilized throughout the record which provides an insanely fresh take on the genre (as contradictory as that may seem). While used freely, these samples never seem contrived nor do they seem out of place. This seamless feel can be chalked up to the propensity L’Orange has in his production skills by creating such a convincing hybrid of hip-hop instrumentals with olden-style undertones. The entire record isn’t instrumental however as there are some smartly used guest appearances. A great example comes in the song “Femme Fatale” which features Erica Lane matching the noir-esque tone of the music perfectly with her low, controlled alto very much akin to someone like Amy Winehouse.

This noir-esque feel of the song is one of the many employed by L’Orange throughout the record. The Mad Writer seeks to enthrall you not by the execution of the music but by the ambiance it creates. The nuances used like the lo-fi quality of the samples, the glitchy electronics, to the the subtle fuzz and scratchy sounds all contribute in providing an authentic feeling of the 40’s and 50’s, no matter how skewed our vision of it may be. Soft drums and even softer piano ebb and flow through each song and does a fantastic job of added further emotion to the record. Many songs have this added emotion to it in combination with the overlying theme. Underlying feelings of sadness, joy, and eeriness permeate the small cracks of the record which considering the simplistic style of the instruments is frankly surprising to say the least. If one thing is wrong with the record it would be the simplistic instrumentation. The drum beat in the songs that utilize them are all interchangeable and frankly boring if one listens to them closely. There is a distinct lack of actual stand out tracks as the songs display little in terms of overt variety.

This marriage of the 40’s and 50’s era mood with hip-hop sensibilities and instrumentation is a brilliant idea and feels nothing short of natural. The Mad Writer definitely doesn’t acquiesce to everyone’s taste and suffers from a lack of musical prowess but for those curious enough to take a distorted trip back in time will find something truly special here.

Stolas AllomaternalFollow The White Rabbit Endorphinia
Thrice The Alchemy Index Vol. II: WaterHe Is Legend Heavy Fruit
Weird Al Yankovic Mandatory FunKashiwa Daisuke/Koby Israelite Split

Streaming:

Objectively this is probably a 4 but I liked it a lot.

Thanks to the capt for randomly recommending this to someone while I was online and saw it. I hope the review didn't come off too stupid, but seriously its pretty good.

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

This is neat

I hope it doesn't wear off as fast as R.A.P. and C4C did

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

December 12th 2012

I wish I found out about this earlier I would've asked for a feature I think it'd do well on this site.

Deviant.
December 12th 2012

You should check out Dela if you want some stuff similar to this

chambered49

uhhhh wow this is good

December 12th 2012

Thanks dev, I will put that on my list to check out. I want this to start falling off me before I get something simliar.

PorkchopExpress
December 12th 2012

Great album. "Alone" is so, so good.

Need this.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Celsius

Get it.

and make it snappy

Celsius
December 12th 2012

Just finished listening, what a fun ride!

December 12th 2012

I'm glad you liked it, this site is of some actual use sometimes

taxidermist
December 12th 2012

Yeah, Potsy introduced a lot of us to this guy. Good shit. Potsy certified.

Digging: Whirr/Nothing - Split

ewww...

SgtPepper
December 13th 2012

I guess I need to check this out. I'm trying to listen to more Hip-hop than the small handful of the ones I know.

POS'd on the review.

December 13th 2012

this seem up ur alley paperback i hope ya liked it

clercqie
December 13th 2012

This is just so good, glad you reviewed it.
Nice work btw.

chambered49
December 17th 2012

p swee albumn

clercqie
December 18th 2012

His other album is really good (and free!), but here the production is on another level altogether.