Crown the Empire
The Fallout

by Dakoda Jones USER (8 Reviews)
December 10th, 2012 | 46 replies

Review Summary: A good debut album for a band with lots of potential.

I did not plan on picking up this album, but then I saw they hit the studio with producer, Joey Sturgis, and I couldn't resist. Was it worth it? I'd like to think so.

Crown The Empire strays from the horrid techno/metalcore style with their debut album The Fallout. The only song that bears any resemblance to that of their EP is the track 'Memories of a broken heart'. Barely any breakdowns too which came out to be a good thing for their new groove metal sound. The musicianship here is excellent. The crisp stylish drumming works very well with the deep tone and speed of their guitars. Most of the song structures are typical. Intro, verse, chorus, and you know the rest. But there is a nice circus kind of theme that can sound very epic throughout.

The lead vocalist (Andy) has commendable vocals but at times (most notably in the intro, "Oh, Catastrophe") he can sound fragile and crackly. And I'm not saying it's bad but I do not like it. Now the screamer (David) in my opinion is absolutely fantastic. He gives the right amount of aggression and anger. In "Makeshift" When he begins talking into straining his vocal cords. it sounds great and his tones sound very good with the overall blend of their guitar and bass. I only wish he would provide a little more variety with his screams.

The typical metalcore sound that they're trying to hold on to keeps them from unlocking their true potential. Although I think we get a taste of what they could be on the best track on the album "Johnny's Revenge". Which is also the last song on the album. It almost sounds like Panic At The Disco if they signed to rise records and wanted to be a metalcore band. It's a very interested track, very good though. And the incorporation of orchestra instruments in it is very well done. And sounds so rich. This can also be heard in songs such as: Menace, The One You Feed and The Fallout. Which are also some of the best songs.

About half the songs stand out and the rest kind of blend together, do to the fact that there is not much separating them from what some of the other bands are doing in the genre. It is indeed an admirable debut album, but I think they can do better. It's a big step in the right direction and I hope they continue in that direction.

Recommended tracks: Menace, The Fallout, Johnny's Revenge and The One You Feed.

Stages and Stereos Small Town FavoritesThe Story So Far What You Don't See
Go Radio Close the DistanceThe Plot In You Could You Watch Your Children Burn
City Lights In It To Win ItStructures Divided By
Dalton DuBois (2)
A lazy and shoehorned re-recording session rushed for the sole purpose of making extra money for the...

GearsofWhore3 (3.5)
Fantastic Debut. Fantastic band....

multicore (3)
A noble effort at a debut record; far from disappointing, but miles away from perfect...

I like to think so.

I'd*

The only song that bears any resemblance to that of their EP is the song 'Memories of a broken heart'. Barely any breakdowns too which came out to be a good thing for their new groove metal sound.

The only song that bears any resemblance to their EP is the track 'Memories Of A Broken Heart', which had barely any breakdowns which shows off their new groove metal sound in a positive manner.

Things here and there need cleaning up.

December 10th 2012

yeah, sorry. but thanks for pointing them out. trying to get a hang of the reviewing thing.

December 10th 2012

Did you use 'word' or something similar?

December 10th 2012

no, but I should have. I wrote it on my phone. next review I'm going to write in a program.

also; http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577035

is now your new best friend.

thanks, buddy!

December 10th 2012

Now the screamer (David) in my opinion is absolutely fantastic. He gives the right amount of aggression and anger. In "Makeshift" at 2:42 When he begins talking into straining his vocal cords.

Fix, and try to avoid pointing out at sections of tracks as in; he strummed the guitar at 1.35 before the vocalist screamed at 2.15. Looks tardy, reads tardy and there's no need for a tardy party ; ]

okay.

December 10th 2012

It's good though, still better than my first few.

December 10th 2012

why does it seem like every time a generic scene band releases a debut it has the same rating and same summary talking about "LOADS of potential"

thanks Iponmastery!

December 10th 2012

"I did not plan on picking up this album, but then I saw they hit the studio with producer, Joey Sturgis, and I couldn't resist."

joey sturgis would be a reason i would avoid listening to an album.

December 10th 2012

look at his ratings. it's a huge deal for him

December 10th 2012

^this, noticed this heaps too.

December 10th 2012

"look at his ratings. it's a huge deal for him"

oh man. i had a shitty metal/deathcore phase but never that bad

December 10th 2012

"A good debut album for a band with lots of potential."

A terrible summary that doesn't say anything

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

December 10th 2012

obviously. he's my favorite producer.

December 10th 2012

how many other producers can you name off the top of your head? Just curious

December 10th 2012

Steve Albini shits on your soul, Joey Stergis, get the fuck out of here. Listen to some music that isn't from the last five years and on the same 2 labels
Try some Pixies - Doolittle

December 10th 2012

what is it with you and that album treb